UKC

More ID help needed

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

You don’t even need to know about birds for this but, if you had to give an answer, what colour is this birds beak?  It was a long way off, hand held shot at the crack of dawn, hence very blurred but enough to just make out its beak. 

Durbs 29 Apr 2021
In reply to willgriggsonfire:

Ibis...

You can tell by the trailing legs and wing shape

Post edited at 11:40
In reply to Durbs:

It’s not an ibis. It’s an egret, and I’m 99% sure which type but want a collective on the beak colour. Then I can be 100%. 

Durbs 29 Apr 2021

Ha, that's actually what I meant - been reading too much Egyptian history.

In reply to Durbs:

What colour do you think the beak is?

wbo2 29 Apr 2021

Cattle would be my estimation - orange coloured patches

In reply to wbo2:

> Cattle would be my estimation - orange coloured patches

Black legs means defo not cattle. And it looked big. What colour do you think the beak is?

In reply to wbo2:

Defo Great White Egret. It’s size, normally a deciding factor, is backed up by lack of yellow feet (little egrets have yellow feet) and the beak, is not black, I’d go yellow (but v hard to see).

martinharris 29 Apr 2021

bill looks yellow to me. I agree with the ID of great white egret, there's an increasing number of them in the UK these days.

In reply to martinharris:

Ta. On my dog walk I’ve only ever seen one little egret, so was a bit stunned. I did see this total cracker yesterday though , one of a group of four wheatears passing through.

nniff 29 Apr 2021
In reply to Durbs:

In the mid-80's I had the pleasure of spending quite a lot of time up Mount Kenya.  One evening, chilling at the Met Station we got to talking to a guy with some serious binoculars and a camera.  Turned out he was an ornithologist looking for a certain subspecies of Olive Ibis, reportedly living in the the highest forests of Mount Kenya.  He'd been looking for 15 years.  "What does it look like?" we asked.  "Green, about so big, long curved bill".  We looked at him, looked at the tree behind him and looked at him again.  "What, like that?" we said pointing at the tree behind him.  You never did see someone closer to a heart attack than that man trying to get his camera sorted.  Biggest smiles you ever did see afterwards.

If you are on facebook, this is an excellent submission which should go on the group 'Crap wildlife photography'  

In reply to Garethza:

What is this ‘Facebook’ thing you speak of?

Maggot 29 Apr 2021

Haven't you got an App for that?

My mate can point his phone at a fungal protuberance and it tells him what it is.

In reply to Maggot:

No app would ID that lump of blur. It would probably come up with: ‘ghost’. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...