UKC

Most complex carbohydrate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 06 Nov 2021

Following the belly flab thread https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/belly_flab-740785?v=1#x9540502 got me wondering. If complex carbohydrate is better than simple, what is the most complex carb that can be digested? and which foods contain it?

I did try Google but I just got adverts for diets 😂

pneame 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Entrails - heparan sulfate in that membranous stuff that they are full of. A further plus is that they are loaded with collagen (although not the type in bones and ligaments). Another good source would be brains. 

robert-hutton 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Think the body finds that some complex carbs are very difficult to digest like whole peanuts and foods with a high fibre content, where oats are digested over a period of time. 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Alphabetti Spaghetti (Cyrillic version). 

veteye 06 Nov 2021
In reply to pneame

So you can either pick up Salmonella or a prion like JKD?

OP Andy Hardy 06 Nov 2021
In reply to pneame:

I thought brains and entrails would be protein (ish), rather than carbohydrate

girlymonkey 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I would guess at the complexity of a carbohydrate being closely aligned with the GI? Kidney beans seem to be very low GI, so maybe they are amongst the most complex carbohydrates?

pneame 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Well, somewhat. The (very) complex carbohydrate is actually stuck to a protein. However, as I dimly recall heparin is extracted from intestines (there's some videos on the internet of how they do this - mostly in china and not for the squeamish). Heparin, though, is not as complex as heparan sulphate. 

Wainers44 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Complex carbohydrate.  It's not right and it's not helpful but I can't get the thought of a deep fried Curlywurly out of my mind....

Shani 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> Alphabetti Spaghetti (Cyrillic version). 

We didn't couldn't afford fancy-pants Alphabetti Spaghetti but my dad once convinced us that regular spaghetti hoops were a special Halloween edition that spelled out a ghostly "oooooOOOOOooo".

Timmd 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Shani:

That's pretty cool.

If we're lucky with the Dads we get given, we are indeed blessed.

Post edited at 23:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...