UKC

Mouse advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2020

.... the computer variety, that is.

I need to get a mouse to use with a laptop via the USB port. There seems to be so much rubbish sold by dodgy on-line outfits, so I'm just wondering if there are any brands or suppliers to avoid. I don't need anything fancy, just something functional. How much should I pay for something I won't be binning next week?

Cheers

Rog

Jim Lancs 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel that has worked well for years on my Mac. I think it was £9.99

LastBoyScout 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Anything by Logitec will be fine.

Blue Straggler 29 Mar 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Anything by Logitec will be fine.

I second this. £10 - £12 for a perfectly fine wireless one 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I also use logitech, they're great but the scroll wheel does eventually wear out after multiple years use i've found. But that's no biggie. 

Rob Parsons 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not sure why people are talking about wireless mice when you have specifically said you want to use a mouse via the USB port.

My suggestion would be to get a new Dell or HP wired USB mouse from Ebay - should be under a tenner.

OP Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That's really helpful, guys. Thanks for your replies.

Dax H 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Why use a wired mouse when a wireless is far more convenient. 

Dark-Cloud 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I always prefer the Microsoft Intellimouse whatever you fancy model, I find the shape works best

Rob Parsons 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Why use a wired mouse when a wireless is far more convenient. 

I don't see any advantage at all with a wireless mouse: if you're sitting at a desk or table on which you can use a mouse, why does the presence of  a wire make it any less convenient?

The disadvantages with a wireless mouse are: more complexity; and the need for batteries.

The only time I have seen that wireless mice and keyboards are useful is in 'presentation' scenarios where the PC involved is physically at a distance from the mouse/keyboard.

However it's obviously up to Rog Wilko what he prefers: I was just giving a straight answer to a straight question.

Post edited at 12:53
 Siward 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Agree, wired mice for me; why faff with batteries?

In reply to Rob Parsons:

Every wireless mouse I’ve ever used, has used the USB port on the computer. I assumed he meant USB as opposed to the older PS/2 or whatever it was called 

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I don't see any advantage at all with a wireless mouse: if you're sitting at a desk or table on which you can use a mouse, why does the presence of  a wire make it any less convenient?

The presence of a wire does make it less convenient in many scenarios, I won’t bore you with details. One example though, is that a wire gives you an additional mechanical weak point for potential failure 

> The disadvantages with a wireless mouse are: more complexity; and the need for batteries.

They are not vastly more complex.

Batteries, fair point. I always have a stash of charged rechargeable AA and AAA batteries in the office. 

> I second this. £10 - £12 for a perfectly fine wireless one 

Or a wired one.

There. Everyone happy 

> Or a wired one.

> There. Everyone happy 

Or someone with the right aptitude and plenty of time could invent a self charging wireless mouse; perhaps one of the old style ones but with a magnetised ball in it and some kind of internal dynamo configuration - negating the need for either a wire OR a battery?

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

There are solar powered ones but they appear to be unreliable. 

Maybe a clockwork one could work

LastBoyScout 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I don't see any advantage at all with a wireless mouse: if you're sitting at a desk or table on which you can use a mouse, why does the presence of  a wire make it any less convenient?

<snip>

I've used a wireless mouse for years and wouldn't go back to a wired one - the cable always finds something to get caught on, either the keyboard or whatever else on the desk, especially as my current set-up has my docking station to the left of my screen and I'm right handed.

And you can leave the micro dongle plugged into the laptop port.

Just replaced my ancient Logitech M505 and original Anywhere MX, as the buttons have finally worn out and now have an MX Anywhere 2, which is brilliant. USB rechargeable, so just plug it in every couple of months to top up - or you can leave it plugged in as a wired mouse

Post edited at 16:09
 marsbar 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have a technet wireless mouse and usb thingy.  It is second hand and it seems to work fine.  I believe they are about a tenner.  

balmybaldwin 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The main advantage I can see of a wired mouse is that it makes it harder to lose.

Dax H 30 Mar 2020

Yep, that cable can be a right pain. 

Re batteries, I use a basic logitech mouse, the dongle only sticks out by about 5mm so I never remove it. 

It's not in heavy use and I get well over a year to a single aa battery. 

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> The disadvantages with a wireless mouse are: more complexity; and the need for batteries.

They are simpler: they don't have a wire!

> The only time I have seen that wireless mice and keyboards are useful is in 'presentation' scenarios where the PC involved is physically at a distance from the mouse/keyboard.

> However it's obviously up to Rog Wilko what he prefers: I was just giving a straight answer to a straight question.

I used to feel the same but switched a while ago as it was so cheap (£7) I thought it wouldn't hurt to try and I was a bit irritated by the wire getting caught under things on my desk. Couldn't believe how much better I found it. Batteries  lasted 2 years. Wouldn't go back but I kept the wired one for emergencies. 

Post edited at 08:13
 StuPoo2 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Wireless ... and get a wireless full size keyboard while you're at it.  You'll never go back to wired.

Logitech/£18.95 - for both:  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CL6353A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_...

Batteries good for 1 year (maybe).  Change them as soon as you start to perceive a lag.

Cheers.

Gavin 30 Mar 2020

A +1 for the MX Anywhere 2.  It will work on almost any surface including the glass topped dining room table I'm working from now.

mp3ferret 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Microsoft wired mouse and keyboard for me - simple cheap and reliable.  Used dozens of different types of wireless contraptions and, without exception, the dongle has failed before the mouse/keyboard.  And by the time this happens your dongle will be out of production and you'll have to buy the whole lot again.

I've been a software engineer for 30 years - so I've spent an awful lot of time sat in front of one of those computer thingies.

freeflyer 30 Mar 2020
In reply to mp3ferret:

By 'eck.

To go with my original IBM AT keyboard - still the best keyboard ever made - I'm using an Intellimouse 1.1, beige with the cute red light at the back. You can still get them on ebay; they're £25 - 30 mind you.

For the keyboard, the 5-pin DIN goes into a PS/2 connector and thence to USB. Astonishing that it still all works really.

mp3ferret 30 Mar 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

Old mechanical keyboards are indestructible.  I worked on the shop floor team at nissan ( a very long time ago) and i used to wash the grease of the keybaords with fairy liquid and hot water.  Try that with a fancy new wireless one.

Blue Straggler 30 Mar 2020
In reply to mp3ferret:

The OP only wanted a mouse recommendation, not your war stories 

mp3ferret 30 Mar 2020

That's ok.  He can have both for free.

freeflyer 31 Mar 2020
In reply to mp3ferret:

> Old mechanical keyboards are indestructible.  I worked on the shop floor team at nissan ( a very long time ago) and i used to wash the grease of the keybaords with fairy liquid and hot water.  Try that with a fancy new wireless one.

I stuck mine in the shower once, no fairy liquid mind you. Gave it a good seeing to with the loofah, dried it out for a few days, worked fine except that the space bar was a bit reluctant as the finger grease had been removed, however it sorted itself out pretty quickly. Needs doing again. The main problem is that it's at work and I'm at home

Specially for Blue Straggler, PC World Advent wireless mouse. Costs a tenner, works on any surface except *clean* glass, batteries last forever, USB dongle fits in its base for transport. Avoids strangling other passengers with the wire when working on the train.

In reply to mp3ferret:

> Microsoft wired mouse and keyboard for me - simple cheap and reliable.  Used dozens of different types of wireless contraptions and, without exception, the dongle has failed before the mouse/keyboard.  And by the time this happens your dongle will be out of production and you'll have to buy the whole lot again.

> I've been a software engineer for 30 years - so I've spent an awful lot of time sat in front of one of those computer thingies.

My £7 wireless mouse comes with a free 'dongle'

CurlyStevo 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I agree I'm a developer I prefer light weight mice without batteries. There is also the hassle of charging / batteries and lag.

Personally I don't mid spending proper money on something I use every day.

This is the mouse I use its excellent!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENDGAME-GEAR-XM1-Optical-Switches/dp/B07QQ1KW4G

Post edited at 14:26
ChilledPenguin 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I always prefer a relatively cheap mouse, if it breaks it's no big deal.

Also there's a chance a mouse would simply feel wrong for your hand.

Jimbo C 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Why use a wired mouse when a wireless is far more convenient. 

No battery to replace. Guaranteed that your input is received without lag or error. I prefer wires for mice, but even more so for keyboards. 

In reply to Gavin:

> A +1 for the MX Anywhere 2.  It will work on almost any surface including the glass topped dining room table I'm working from now.

Working? 🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...