Mutations and Strains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cobra_Head 19 Feb 2021

I post this in another thread, but thought it was worth it own, for those who are interested in such things.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/chronic-infection-uk-coronavirus-variant?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

In reply to Cobra_Head:

Interesting article.

It confirms the intuitive view that case rate suppression is a wise idea, and that "let it rip in those who aren't 'vulnerable'" is a bad idea...

The Lemming 19 Feb 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

But the big question is,

Will I get Marvel type superpowers?

wintertree 19 Feb 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> It confirms the intuitive view that case rate suppression is a wise idea, and that "let it rip in those who aren't 'vulnerable'" is a bad idea...

Following on from that, it illustrates why failing to suppress case rates when half a population are immunised could be an even worse idea.  

With the new variants that spread more, the herd immunity threshold for a life without restrictions is really quite high.  

Given the vaccine uptake rate in the UK and the efficacy figures, we can hopefully hit the herd immunity threshold with only mild restrictions - perhaps just retaining some of the shift to WFH (which many people will do by choice I think, and employers too know they know they don’t need so much costly office space...), night club people density limits, effective and fast test/trace/isolate and permanent improvements to workplace and school ventilation (particularly mechanical heat recovery ventilation for use in winter) are enough to hold case rate suppression.

With survey based figures for estimated vaccine uptake in France and Germany, it does not seem likely that they can go for case rate suppression without a level of control measures that just won’t be accepted for much longer.

So I think it won’t be too long before we find out if this virus has the ability to mutate around immunity enough to cause a return to bad times.  I had been considering more distant destinations as the clear risk, but putting it all together in now not so sure.

In reply to The Lemming:

> Will I get Marvel type superpowers?

Possibly, although almost certainly with Deadpool-style downsides.   

The Lemming 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

And what Deadpool downsides are there?

Apart from looking like a rubber sex toy

Cobra_Head 19 Feb 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

> But the big question is,

> Will I get Marvel type superpowers?

If diabetes can be classed as a super power, then maybe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...