UKC

My holiday of a lifetime...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 30 Oct 2012
So we've been saving up for this for bloody years (and the tight-arse bugger in me has been putting it off for years). But now all the flights are paid for, the hotels booked, the currency exchanged, and we leave Manchester Airport on November 19th.

Nothing can go wrong, can it?

Oh, we're going to New York, by the way.

John_Hat 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:

Water Sports?
OP ThunderCat 30 Oct 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Dirty boy
 Philip 30 Oct 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Either a poor joke or if genuine then don't worry, they recovered from 9/11 fast enough, they're quite resilient.
In reply to Philip:

Very genuine. Flying to New york on Nov 19th, staying for 3 days, then to vegas for 2 weeks and a bit.

I'm gutted. Spent loads on the flight and I can foresee a load of ballache getting refunds / flying somewhere else etc....

Is an act of god covered by insurance companies?
 John_Hat 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Philip:

I've been reading the NYT website quite a bit today, and its surprisingly upbeat in places. Even in relation to the flooded subways they are talking days not weeks to return to normality.

Electricity is going to be an issue - a coule of substations blew up - literally - but on the whole it looks bad but not horrendous.

I think the OP should be fine by the time he's going.
 Blue Straggler 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Philip)
>
> I'm gutted. Spent loads on the flight and I can foresee a load of ballache getting refunds / flying somewhere else etc....

Why would you want refunds or fly somewhere else? I am seriously sure it'll be fine, it's ages away.

In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> [...]
>
> Why would you want refunds or fly somewhere else? I am seriously sure it'll be fine, it's ages away.

Just thinking of the time it took clear up after Katrina. You wouldn't be sweating if you were due to fly out there in 20 days?

Brass Nipples 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:

You'll be fine. The new central water park is worth a visit.
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> Either a poor joke or if genuine then don't worry, they recovered from 9/11 fast enough, they're quite resilient.

You are, of course, being ironic.
 SARS 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:

Spoke to a mate of mine in NY on IM today. He works for a bank in central Manhattan and was in the office - minimal electricity working but otherwise he seemed pretty unphased by the whole thing.
 Blue Straggler 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> You wouldn't be sweating if you were due to fly out there in 20 days?

I wouldn't and you shouldn't. With respect to those poor souls who have tragically lost their lives to this storm in the last 24 hours, sure, some things will be broken but one of the first things they will get up and running is the transportation so your airport will be a high priority. Have a beer and chill out!

OP ThunderCat 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> [...]
>
> I wouldn't and you shouldn't. With respect to those poor souls who have tragically lost their lives to this storm in the last 24 hours, sure, some things will be broken but one of the first things they will get up and running is the transportation so your airport will be a high priority. Have a beer and chill out!

"Have a beer and chill out"...you've not met Mrs TC have you...this is our tenth wedding anniversary. I'm being held personally responsible for the hurricane and everything else that goes wrong.

Deep down I know the US won't let a major centre like NY lie broken for weeks. I'm just being over anxious as usual.

I'm aware I also sound a bit bloody selfish too, given that people have lost lives and businesses over this and i'm stressing about a holiday.

goldmember 31 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat: two weeks in vegas! the tight bugger in you will die quickly. the mafia museum is great, the statosphere for cocktails and rides is a must! Vegas is nuts!
 EeeByGum 31 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Just thinking of the time it took clear up after Katrina. You wouldn't be sweating if you were due to fly out there in 20 days?

But this isn't anything like Katrina. From what I can see, Manhattan suffered a few flooded subway tunnels, a bit of surface flooding and major power outages. All that will be cleared up by the time you get there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...