UKC

/ My plan to propose to my GF in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rockwing - on 12 Apr 2018

I’m planning to propose to my girlfriend in a few weeks time. Ring and hotel all sorted. Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge onto St. Sunday Crag, get her to have a look for a GeoCache [that won’t exist], while I sleight-of-hand my own “geocache” box (containing photos, messages, ringbox, etc) under a cairn stone, have her find it while I’m kneeling down next to her and pop the ring from my pocket.

We’ll both be content on P-Ridge, but if anyone has any better scramble or multi-pitch route ideas with a nice top-out or ideas for a wet-weather alternative, I would love any advice/ideas.

mountainbagger - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to lewismansell:

> I’m planning to propose to my girlfriend in a few weeks time. Ring and hotel all sorted. Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge onto St. Sunday Crag, get her to have a look for a GeoCache [that won’t exist], while I sleight-of-hand my own “geocache” box (containing photos, messages, ringbox, etc) under a cairn stone, have her find it while I’m kneeling down next to her and pop the ring from my pocket.

Hi Lewis, it's me!!! That is so sweet - you are such a thoughtful bf!

I will try and act surprised, but just wanted you to know how excited I am about this!!!

I can think of one wet-weather alternative too...if you know what I mean

Ex Poster 666 on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Hi Lewis, it's me!!!

Bit of a cougar, eh?

Thugitty Jugitty on 12 Apr 2018

Maybe take her up Lord's Seat as well?

petegunn on 12 Apr 2018

Napes Needle?

Been done before but I don't think the ring was left ontop before the ascent so that it was found as she topped out onto the summit block.

Stuart en Écosse - on 12 Apr 2018

Sounds like a lovely idea. If you want to keep it a surprise, the best way to keep it secret is to post about it on a widely read public forum under your own name.

Baron Weasel - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> I can think of one wet-weather alternative too...if you know what I mean

The Lake District is a great place for watersports if that's what you mean?

rockwing - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Stuart en Écosse:

Luckily I have never introduced her to UKC (aka Mos Eisley Spaceport...)

marsbar - on 12 Apr 2018

How lovely.

Pursued by a bear - on 12 Apr 2018

On the theme of making the site of your proposal memorable, you could also check out the times of boats on Ullswater or Derwentwater; they might work in wet weather and I'd guess that there aren't too many people who've had marriage proposals in the middle of a lake.  Throw in a picnic, a bottle of champagne and some plastic cups and you could have a celebration picnic before walking or getting the boat back.

T.

FactorXXX - on 12 Apr 2018

>  Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge.

Steady on! You're not even engaged yet, let alone married!

GrahamD - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

> >  Was planning to take her up Pinnacle Ridge.

> Steady on! You're not even engaged yet, let alone married!

Its not going to happen after they're married, is it ?

bouldery bits - on 12 Apr 2018

That sounds awesome. Best of luck mate!

Danm79 - on 12 Apr 2018

Bloody hell, what's wrong with me - I read the title as "My plan to dispose of my girlfriend in the lake... "

Yours sounds a much nicer idea.

teh_mark on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Danm79:

Gotta keep off those drugs, they're not good for you!

Post edited at 00:26
j.anstee - on 14 Apr 2018

Don’t bother mate and save your money for some new kit and come climbing with us! ????

garycrocker - on 15 Apr 2018

I proposed to my girlfriend (now my wife) on Crib Goch in winter conditions. It all went really well, produced ring, down on one knee etc. but I needed a wee afterwards (not massively romantic) so I undid the waist belt of my pack and my camera pouch fell off and rolled down a snowfield. I then glissaded after it swearing loudly leaving my GF wondering what she'd signed herself up for.

tripehound - on 15 Apr 2018

Lewis its blokes like you that give the rest of us guys a bad name. 

jonnie3430 - on 15 Apr 2018

Put a lit one of these in the box of it's a cold day, you get lots of points.

jk25002 - on 15 Apr 2018

For an alternative scramble, you could look at SE face of Ill Crag. Brilliant long scramble with a very definite/sudden arrival at the summit cairn. You'll almost certainly have the scramble to youselves, and probably the summit too.

alx on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> Maybe take her up Lord's Seat as well?

I don’t know why it doesn’t seem to be very popular. Anyway the lady should be pleased when presented with a nice shiney ring.

birdie num num - on 15 Apr 2018
In reply to alx:

> I don’t know why it doesn’t seem to be very popular. Anyway the lady should be pleased when presented with a nice shiney ringpiece.<

Mrs Num Num certainly is. She says it makes a very pleasant change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.