UKC

Network help, can't connect when another laptop on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 06 Dec 2012
Hi, I've got the 2nd generation home hub and works fine with every laptop and computer I've ever used it with. Recently someone's been staying with me and whenever they get in and get online I get kicked off the network, I can't connect to the router itself. Not even via LAN cable.

I get this error message:

You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

If I restart the hub I can connect but then a couple of minutes later I get kicked again, presumably once their laptop has reconnected. Once the other laptop has been turned off I can reset the hub and it's fine again.

They're away just now so I don't have any info on the laptop that's causing the trouble but wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem or if there is anything I can do to secure a connection.

Thanks
KevinD 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

Possibly both are set for static IP and have the same one. I thought it would lob up a message saying address conflict though.
 Richard Wilson 06 Dec 2012
Or you have a limit on the number of connections and as each connection gets issued a lease for X amount of time theirs could be still active & knocking yours off.

I would also check that they have not longed onto the router & set them selves up with a priority on connection or speed & data.

Did you change the routers log in ID & pass word from the defaults?
 ojp 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

Generally speaking out the box configs are for a Class C networks so 254 hosts within the range.

Sounds like the hubs losing track of DHCP requests. Have a look at changing the configuration a little. Like increase the lease time or your static addresses overlap dynamics addressing.

S
 Mike-W-99 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:
Friends laptop infected with a virus/trojan and is flooding the router?
OP Sharp 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp: Cheers for the help guys, it's difficult because the other laptop isn't here right now, and when it is I can't connect to the hubs settings!

I'm running 3 laptops off the hub at the moment with no problems, all DHCP and the problem persists when it's just my laptop and the troublesome one. The hubs password is my own and as far as I can tell no settings have been changed from the defaults. Not that I'd suspect that anyway tbh.

The lease time is set at a day. The hub IP is 192.168.1.254 and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.237. Is that what you mean by an overlap? (http://tinyurl.com/br2qwrx)

I'm kind of stumped, I don't understand why I can't even connect to the hub with a LAN cable, it's not that it wont connect to the internet, it just wont connect to the hub.
 AndyC 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

It's a long shot, but if you have UPnP enabled on your router, try turning it off. See if that makes any difference.
 Graeme Barr 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp: Break his laptop when he isn't looking?
 Brass Nipples 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

Run ipcomfig when you have the problem, take a screen print, and post the results.
 Brass Nipples 06 Dec 2012

In reply to Sharp:

Config that is
 AndyC 06 Dec 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> Run ipcomfig when you have the problem, take a screen print, and post the results.

Better still - run IPCONFIG /ALL before the problem occurs and after, then compare the results.
OP Sharp 06 Dec 2012
Cheers guys, will wait until the problem happens next week and see what we can find.

Is there anything I can do to secure my connection before the other laptop connects?
OP Sharp 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp: Another oddity, there's another laptop connected to the hub just now as well but I can't see it in the hub's settings - http://tinyurl.com/dy8rn9c

This is the ipc readout

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : the-priest
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E
ernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-77-FF-01-C3

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Ne
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-D2-B7-7F-22
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.70
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 December 2012 17:31:07
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 07 December 2012 17:31:07
 Richard Wilson 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

> Is there anything I can do to secure my connection before the other laptop connects?

Give yourself a fixed IP address then you should be able to connect with the other laptop also connected.

Checking the ipconfig on the other laptop would help too.

OP Sharp 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Richard Wilson: Cheers for all the help everyone. If I check the "always use this IP address" button on this page http://tinyurl.com/d3sxrnv will that give me a fixed IP.
 AndyC 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

Not exactly fixed but it will reserve that IP address for your PC.

You don't really want a truly fixed IP address on a laptop - it could be inconvenient when you want to connect to another network.

Address conflicts are not likely to be your problem . you are not getting any conflict warnings, and you can't connect using an alternative wired connection (diffferent adaptor so it should get assigned a different IP address).
OP Sharp 06 Dec 2012
In reply to AndyC: Cheers, I still can't understand why it wont let me connect with a wired connection. Surely there must be a way to force a connection when you're actually wired to the damn thing!
 AndyC 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:
> (In reply to AndyC) Cheers, I still can't understand why it wont let me connect with a wired connection. Surely there must be a way to force a connection when you're actually wired to the damn thing!

Something is causing your router to stop being the DHCP server on the network when your friends laptop is connected. If you can't get an IP address you won't be able to talk to the router.

Could be your friend has Internet Connection Sharing enabled and it's taking over the address allocation. If they have network access then use their laptop to access your router configuration and see if you can figure out what's going on.

Kipper 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

It's possible that the other laptop is running as a DHCP server(either on purpose, or more likely malware/virus).
Get them to run some cleanup/checking software before connecting again - I'm not sure what to recommend for this job (malwarebytes, tdsskiller ?)
 ojp 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

It would be better if you were directly connected. Sounds more like the routers overloaded

Would be interesting to see if ping still working to the default gateway during these issues off both laptops. The other laptop is perhaps taking over the wireless so not releasing the token for you to send data is another option.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...