UKC

Never to old - Top Trumps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good morning , 

I'm unashamed being a 45 year old and purchasing these beauties this morning from the shops.

I'm thinking they will be brilliant for those days your tent bound and sitting out crappy weather. 

Or just a few rounds in the evening before or after tea.

The eternal child

AP

jkarran 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

I have Power Stations TopTrumps, nearly as cool as Dinosaurs.

jk

nathan79 30 Apr 2021
In reply to jkarran:

I love dinosaurs, but I feel I got overly excited at the idea of a power station set. I feel zero shame.

In reply to nathan79:

> I love dinosaurs, but I feel I got overly excited at the idea of a power station set. I feel zero shame.

I must admit I'm also envious 

In reply to jkarran:

> I have Power Stations TopTrumps, nearly as cool as Dinosaurs.

> jk

I'll see your power stations and raise you 

Top Trump - The Elements

https://www.waterstones.com/product/top-trumps/royal-society-of-chemistry/9...

I've just ordered a set.

:-D

Phil79 30 Apr 2021

Whilst at my parents recently, I found my original 80s Planets & Aliens and Fantasy top trumps. Some fantastic artwork.

Since had some good games with my kids....

Toerag 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Phil79:

I found my '80s 'Military Vehicles' and motorbikes mini trump sets recently too.  It's amazing how little power '80s racing motorbikes had.  My Daughter has an 'ancient egypt' top trumps set but isn't old enough to play it yet.

Post edited at 14:34
 sdw7300 30 Apr 2021

My 11 year old son loves them - we have London Landmarks, James Bond, Top Gear cars, Tractors, Planes.....

I can still remember by TT Heay vehicles set from 30 years ago!

mountainbagger 30 Apr 2021

> I'm unashamed being a 45 year old and purchasing these beauties this morning from the shops.

> Or just a few rounds in the evening before or after tea.

I'm the same age and have recently been enjoying playing Top Trumps Dinosaurs at that same point in the day!

My kids love them. We also have Top Trumps Dogs for some reason. We don't have a dog. Well, thinking about it, we don't have a pet dinosaur either.

Hat Dude 30 Apr 2021

Climber Top Trumps anybody?

Flinticus 30 Apr 2021
In reply to Phil79:

Had Monsters and, I think, Spaceships.

I remember the Plane top trumps from when I was a kid.

If I remember right the SR71 Blackbird beat everything else on every characteristic except weight.  It was amazing how often the dealer got that card.

Snyggapa 30 Apr 2021

I would like to offer a contrarian view - that very few games bore me so much to play as top trumps. I can't think of anything worse than being stuck in a tent in bad weather with only a pack of top trumps.

Welsh Kate 30 Apr 2021

I have Top Trump Munros, an entertaining way to spend a few minutes!

I remember my Top Trump Ships, and even when I was a kid felt it was strange - and wrong - to have both cargo ships and cruise ships in the same pack. On tonnage a cargo ship would nearly always win; on number of passengers the cruise ship.

Can't remember much about the 'Cars' pack we played with as kids except that nothing beats a Lamborghini countache. 

DaveHK 01 May 2021

Years ago I made a Philosophers Top Trumps card set for the philosophy club I ran at school. I don't suppose the phrase 'Booya! Mary Warnock beats Jeremy Bentham any day!' Has ever been uttered before or since.

Toerag 01 May 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

The 'guaranteed win' in my military vehicles one was a tank transporter called the 'elefant' or similar which thrashed everything else on weight and perhaps power. The person with it didn't even have to ask the question, they just showed it to everyone else and collected their cards.

Dave the Rave 01 May 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Similar to the US warship Nimitz

Welsh Kate 02 May 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Didn't every set have a card like that?! 

Blue Straggler 02 May 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

> I can't think of anything worse than being stuck in a tent in bad weather with only a pack of top trumps.

I humbly suggest that “Pass the Pigs” would be just a tiny bit worse 

They should do a Top Trump pack of corrupt politicians.  Obviously Trump himself would win most categories.   They could have the whole Trump family plus some of the nastier senators and guest appearances from Boris, Farage, Bolsonaro, Erdogan, Putin.

Categories:

Wealth Acquired in Office:

Lies Told:

Impeachments:

Criminal Complaints:

Sex scandals:

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> They should do a Top Trump pack of corrupt politicians.  Obviously Trump himself would win most categories.   They could have the whole Trump family plus some of the nastier senators and guest appearances from Boris, Farage, Bolsonaro, Erdogan, Putin.

> Categories:

> Wealth Acquired in Office:

> Lies Told:

> Impeachments:

> Criminal Complaints:

> Sex scandals:

Very subversive.  I like it. 

lorentz 02 May 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Top Trumps: "I'm the greatest, the bigliest, wealthiest. I am. The rest of you are losers. Sad." You could do a special edition with Trump's Top Trumps, a collection of his most offensive tweets, biggest lies, most laughable gaffes, nearest misses with nuclear armageddon, most terrific combover. Thank God we can laugh about it now, eh!?

I used to have the horror Top Trumps. Vampires, mummies, werewolf etc. Think I got them from the London Dungeons as a kid on a birthday trip. I also had the motorcycle ones. Some massive 1980s BMW ruled with engine capacity and torque, I think.

Did I imagine it, or did they have some that wouldn't be considered so appropriate now... I'm sure a school friend had a "small arms" edition. The Uzi 9mm used to beat everything for rounds per second. Good times filling in all those boring hours at school learning random facts... Much like my time at school in general really.

Post edited at 09:16
 Andy Clarke 02 May 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> Years ago I made a Philosophers Top Trumps card set for the philosophy club I ran at school. I don't suppose the phrase 'Booya! Mary Warnock beats Jeremy Bentham any day!' Has ever been uttered before or since.

Lovely work. Who boasted the highest total philopower?

DaveHK 02 May 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Lovely work. Who boasted the highest total philopower?

The numbers were pretty much based on having an interesting game rather than actual attributes but I think Marx came out top, reflecting my reading at the time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...