UKC

New look UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 11 Jan 2018

What's happened? Suddenly 'crap' on my old work laptop, for example the Thread Title box when posting this is two letters wide and I no longer have the menu features along the top (the thre lines icon representing 'Home', the camera, mountain, speach bubble and profile icons.

In reply to Flinticus:

What OS/Browser are you using?

Chris the Tall 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Something's changed

Bigger font ?

Lots of options on the reply box

• Bullet points
  1. Numbered lists

???????I'd say the squirrels have been busy

john arran 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

All looks fine to me so far - windows 10 / Chrome - except the message Preview, which no longer shows active links.

Martin W 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Ha, you posted while I was typing my post: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/forum_look'n'feel_has_changed-6...

Summary:

• ?Larger? fonts & icons means it doesn't fit properly in my normal browser window any more
  • Wasted space either side of the thread listings with huuuuuge empty margins
  • No forum display colour options
  • "Line after" paragraph format for text entry* - another stupid waste of screen real estate
  • Format functions: whoopee.  No underline.  WTF?
  • Still can't embed URLs (Hello?  21st century calling UKC??)
  • Preview doesn't work

Basically, I can't see any benefits so far, and several down sides.

I can confirm that it's like this on MacOS High Sierra with Safari, Chrome and Firefox; Win10 with Firefox and Win7 with Chrome.

It's horrible.  They need to change it back ASAP - and ask (or at least tell us) next time they're thinking of changing it.

* Except in bulleted lists, apparently - though the list still floats free of the preceding text

The links in the menu bar aren't working for me (Chrome) when you click on them

In reply to Martin W:

Judging from the email you sent as well, you might be experiencing something different to most people here.

> It's horrible.  They need to change it back ASAP - and ask (or at least tell us) next time they're thinking of changing it.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/beta_testers-676029

We announced that a while ago and got lots of helpful comments back from beta testers.

Alan

Post edited at 11:07
Removed User 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Can we inline links to images of seals etc. yet?

Post edited at 11:20
 GarethSL 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Can you make it possible to just click the forums tab in the menu to return to the main forums page? As it only works if you use the drop down menu.

Seems to be the case for all of the menu tabs.

JoshOvki 11 Jan 2018

I like it. Works well on the devices I have tried which is good for me

Bellie 11 Jan 2018

Not backwards compatible with my old Safari 6/mac.   Home page is completely goosed.  I've accessed the forum through clicking on an article and then clicking the comments link to add this.

But I guess with all things these days... backwards compatibility is out the window, and I'll need to login in now via my tablet, until I sort my mac upgrade out.

In reply to GarethSL:

I think you were using a cached version of the JavaScript file. It should refresh and work as before now.

In reply to Bellie:

To be honest, fixing bugs in the latest Safari is bad enough. We can't support Safari 6 I'm afraid.

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Think this is the same bug as https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/new_look_ukc-677268?v=1#x870869... so should hopefully work now.

Post edited at 11:42
Lusk 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

New look UKC

Gives us something to whinge about for a few days, then normal service will resume.

Martin W 11 Jan 2018

Well pardon me for not following your every posting with rapt attention.

Given that the last posting on that thread was more then three weeks ago, you could still have given the non-beta testers some warning of the change nearer the time when you planned to roll it out.  I've wasted a fair bit of time trying to work out whether the problem was in my kit (I upgraded my iMac to High Sierra yesterday and was all set to blame Apple until I dug a bit further).

Martin W 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> Gives us something to whinge about for a few days, then normal service will resume.

Whingeing is normal service!

Just because you get used to something, that doesn't mean you like it.

(I especially don't like the absence of underlining.  You can't even insert the HTML tags manually any more.)

Post edited at 12:18
OP Flinticus 11 Jan 2018

Something obsolete, as it's a work supplied laptop and I cannot update.

Site appears to be fine on my Galaxy 7.

Just got a new personal laptop (arrived yesterday) using Windows 10 (Lenovo). Will see how that is.

Mark Collins 11 Jan 2018

I see the banner/logo of someone climbing outside the UK hasn't changed to inside

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I like it, clean, crisp and fresh looking. Plus extra posting options, what's not to like.

Good effort guys.

Chris

Post edited at 12:27
 steveriley 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Indeed, this site is worth a heck of a lot more than the amount I pay for it

Lusk 11 Jan 2018

Just noticed, clicking the red notification number on the front forum page does bugger all.

(latest Waterfox, W7U)

Post edited at 12:29
 LeeWood 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

Do u pay for this service ? No ? Then no right to complain !!

JoshOvki 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Bellie:

Apple haven't even supported Safari 6 since 2015! Seems mad to expect websites to.

In reply to Lusk:

Thanks, I can reproduce the bug in Firefox. It's putting the notification window in the top left of my screen instead of above the thing you just clicked on.

Edit: This is fixed.

Post edited at 13:48
 Chris Harris 11 Jan 2018
In reply to LeeWood:

> Do u pay for this service ? No ? Then no right to complain !!

We do pay in a way. Without its users, advertisers wouldn't pay to put their ads on the site.

If you annoy the users & they leave, no more advertisers & no more site. 

mal_meech 11 Jan 2018

The upload GPS function on UKH no longer works, the map shows up, but it doesn't complete time or calculate length (or transport the date properly but that was broken before the update)

Edit - Chrome 63.0.3239.132 on Win 10

Post edited at 13:50
In reply to mal_meech:

This should be fixed in the next few weeks. We've been working on the mapping features on UKH for quite some time now but the changes weren't quite ready for this update.

mal_meech 11 Jan 2018

Thanks for the quick response.

In reply to john arran:

> All looks fine to me so far - windows 10 / Chrome - except the message Preview, which no longer shows active links.

Thanks John, I'm not 100% sure the preview is really required with the WYSIWYG editor. I prefer the fullscreen edit window now for reviewing a post. You can toggle that with the Esc key by the way.

The links get sanitised when the post is submitted so they won't be clickable in the preview.

john arran 11 Jan 2018

Thanks for your reply. One of the main reasons I use the preview is to make sure any links are converted properly before submitting, so for me it's a small loss in usefulness no longer being able to do that, but not really a big deal. The rest of the changes look and seem to work fine.

Lusk 11 Jan 2018

Sorted

Trangia 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Pity the Likes and Dislikes have been retained, because they stifle healthy debate.

Run_Ross_Run 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

The font and layout has changed when viewing on my android phone, it seemed to change overnight. Hmmmm. 

Not checked my pc yet. 

ian caton 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

This is probably my last post.from my phone unless it's really necessary. Just takes ages to load the reply box and I am not swapping my phone. A blessing in disguise perhaps.

Phone is Moto e2 plus or somesuch.

In reply to john arran:

The new method we're using to filter out any potential nasties being submitted via the forum post system should turn any URLs to links perfectly well. It'll work so long as you have http:// or https:// at the front.

We were thinking about adding linking functionality to the editor but it would be pretty hard to filter out people putting a link to www.some_dodgy_website.com and but then adding www.some_safe_looking_website.com in the text of the link.

Post edited at 18:37
OP Flinticus 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Works on my new laptop though I did get a message first login attempt re being blocked by cookies / firewall, yet settings were set to allow cookies. Got in on second attempt without making any changes to laptop settings

In reply to ian caton:

> Phone is Moto e2 plus or somesuch.

Yes, it took a while on my Moto E2/Chrome, too.

And not exactly quick on my desktop.

Don't like the paragraph spacing on carriage return.

Not keen on the new preview function.

LeeWood 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

steady on - they'll be giving us a wider range of emoticons next

The Lemming 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I thought that there was something funny this morning but put it down to my Firefox doing something new.

On the whole I have one suggestion that I miss from the old design that I think would be helpful in the new design.

Its the bit where you reply to a comment and get the opportunity to include part of the person's original post.  Before today this would be a lighter tone than the black text you use for your reply.

This allowed me to quickly work out which bits were copies of old replies and which were new replies to coments as the discussion progressed.

Now that all the text is in black text, I can't work out which is new stuff to read and which is old stuff copied in to give a bit of context.

Any chance of having a tonal or colour differentiation between new comments and older copied comments in the discussion?

bouldery bits 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I like it. 

It's nicely chunky. Like a wooden model train.

FactorXXX 11 Jan 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Not keen on the new preview function.

Preview function?

It seems to have totally vanished for me!

Windows 10. Microsoft Edge & IE 11.

...and as you say, the carriage return is too big - I like to press 'Enter' and for the text to drop to the next line with no gaps.  If I want a gap, I'll press 'Enter' twice!

Post edited at 21:02
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Preview function?

'Submit/Preview' below the reply composition box.

Preview opens a pop-up window.

FactorXXX 11 Jan 2018

'Submit/Preview' below the reply composition box.

Preview opens a pop-up window.

I know where it is and used it pre-change.  It now literally doesn't do anything when I select 'Preview'.  Actually, it worked earlier on today, but did something weird and nothing like as good as it was pre-change.  Maybe the UKC Boffins are playing about with it?

Greylag 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Absolutely fine for me. 

Teething problems will no doubt be ironed. 

Everyone just chill! 

In reply to greylag:

> Teething problems will no doubt be ironed.

???I think people are chilled.

But teething problems can't be fixed unless they are reported.

We're just reporting them...

tehmarks 11 Jan 2018

My only complaint is the bigger font - I must admit, I thought I'd zoomed in my browser window by accident and spent a minute or so trying to work out why everything looked different, and another minute or so trying to work out if I was having a senile moment and forgetting how the site looks.

The larger font just doesn't seem to work on a 13" laptop screen; now I can see less and have to scroll more. But c'est la vie.

jcw 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Well somethings changed and I can't even get my reply to depart

FactorXXX 11 Jan 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

I know where it is and used it pre-change.  It now literally doesn't do anything when I select 'Preview'.  Actually, it worked earlier on today, but did something weird and nothing like as good as it was pre-change

There are two 'Preview' options now available:

1. The Pre-Change option at the bottom of the screen: This doesn't work with Windows 10 using IE11 or Edge.
  2. The new additional option in the Task Bar at the top of the screen (Page and Magnifying Glass Icon): This works.

> ???I think people are chilled.

Don't know where the ??? came from...

I had hit return twice (out of habit, forgetting the new paragraph return...). Then I hit delete. It didn't delete the paragraph return; I had to hit delete a number of times.

Greylag 12 Jan 2018

Martin W ain't chilled! 

In reply to The Lemming:

> Its the bit where you reply to a comment and get the opportunity to include part of the person's original post.  Before today this would be a lighter tone than the black text you use for your reply.

The quoted replies were only converted to grey after you posted the message. This works exactly the same as before.

I might be able to do something about that in the new editor though, leave it with me.

The New NickB 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I keep finding that I am accidentally disliking posts on the new format. I un-dislike when I realise, but it is slightly annoying.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> ...and as you say, the carriage return is too big - I like to press 'Enter' and for the text to drop to the next line with no gaps.  If I want a gap, I'll press 'Enter' twice!

Enter is new paragraph. If you need a line break then use Shift+Enter instead.

FactorXXX 12 Jan 2018

Enter is new paragraph. If you need a line break then use Shift+Enter instead.

Thanks.
That works a treat!  

The bottom 'Preview' button still doesn't work for me though...

Bellie 12 Jan 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

Yeah, don't worry Josh, I was just being an old fart trying to put off updating the OS for as long as I could due to various other updates.  Its on my list to do thus allowing new versions of Safari.  

Now logged in on my Android tablet and all looks good.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> The bottom 'Preview' button still doesn't work for me though...

It's using the preview built into the editor at the mo, which is definitely not ideal. It might be being blocked by a popup blocker.

To be honest I wasn't going to include the preview at all since the editor is WYSIWYG but at lot of people seem to want it so I'll code up a better version.

The Lemming 12 Jan 2018

Good morning Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me about quoted replies converting to grey.

I can indeed confirm that the quoted replies are grey.  However, and I don't want to sound like I am moaning, the grey text is very subtle in tone to the black text of my reply.  On a first look its hard to distinguish the difference.

is there any way to lighten the grey text to make it more distinguishable from black text?

This may be a problem with my firefox 47.0.4

Also while trying to respond to this specific comment by you, I tried to click "Quote original in reply".  I was expecting your text to pop up but unfortunately I could only get text from my previous reply.  This is the reaso that I could not quote you directly.

Apart from that, I'm still loving the site

There's something odd going on with the > quote mechanism. Some are not being recognised as quotes, and rendered in grey italics. See my replies above.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the delete issue I mentioned; it may be that I am deleting invisible formatting characters in the compose box?

Delete works normally for text beyond a quote...

> Testing manually-inserted right-arrow quote...

Post edited at 11:53
 FactorXXX 12 Jan 2018

> It's using the preview built into the editor at the mo, which is definitely not ideal. It might be being blocked by a popup blocker.

To be honest I wasn't going to include the preview at all since the editor is WYSIWYG but at lot of people seem to want it so I'll code up a better version.

Thanks for the explanation.
I like the Preview function because it gives you a better idea of what your post will look like once submitted.  That might be because I only ever use a large screen and the small composition box means that (to me) the page margins are compressed in comparison to what is shown in the actual thread.
Anyway, there is a Preview available, so I'm happy in that respect.  Additionally, the new Maximise facility does pretty much what I want visually, so I might well use that instead.  In fact, why not get rid of that pesky Preview button altogether?

In reply to FactorXXX:

Have you tried the fullscreen edit window? It's the last item on the editor menu bar or toggle it on/off with the Esc key.

FactorXXX 12 Jan 2018

> Have you tried the fullscreen edit window? It's the last item on the editor menu bar or toggle it on/off with the Esc key.

If it's the same as the 'Maximise' function, then yes, and very nice it is too!

The Lemming 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Shame the like and dislike buttons are still available.

In reply to FactorXXX:

>  In fact, why not get rid of that pesky Preview button altogether?  

I missed this when I read your reply before. Getting rid of the Preview was the initial plan 

> There's something odd going on with the > quote mechanism. Some are not being recognised as quotes, and rendered in grey italics. See my replies above.

Any line that starts with a > with be treated as a quote eg.

> Some quote

> Any line that starts with a > with be treated as a quote eg.

I know that's how it's supposed to work. But see my posts above (22:50 & 23:40): there are two that have > as the first character of the post, but are not recognised as quotes.

[edit] ah: the problem occurs when you edit a post. Like this one...

[edit2] but the 22:50 and 23:40 posts don't seem to have been edited...

[edit3] this makes me think further that the compose window has invisible formatting characters...

Post edited at 13:42
OP Flinticus 12 Jan 2018

Hi. Got another thread going re photo voting. Any move to remove anonymity from voting to cut down on 'punishment' voting or scores designed to lower the average?

Whitters 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Do people really do that?!

OP Flinticus 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Whitters:

The voting patterns indicate this (as does the voting since I raised the topic in the photography forum).

Whitters 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

These are sad times we live in...

petestack 12 Jan 2018

> Don't like the paragraph spacing on carriage return.

Something I also pointed out at 'beta' stage a few weeks back. So assuming you (like me) like/expect the option of single-spaced new lines?

> Not keen on the new preview function.

Me neither (but I'd also said that already).

I'm OK with the rest.

Post edited at 15:38
 Andy Hardy 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Clicking on "recent postings" on my profile used to take me to the last message I posted on a thread - useful for long threads when you're raking over the embers of a good argument, without having to re-read the whole thread. Now it just takes you to the top of said thread.

Edit: Win10 / Firefox

Post edited at 16:43
 FactorXXX 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Clicking on "recent postings" on my profile used to take me to the last message I posted on a thread - useful for long threads when you're raking over the embers of a good argument, without having to re-read the whole thread. Now it just takes you to the top of said thread.

Same with Win10 and IE11.  Seems OK with Edge.
It's not on all of them though and I initially thought it was if you had more than one post on a thread it would take you to the top as you said.  Alas, it seems to be a bit more random than that...

planetmarshall 12 Jan 2018

Definitely finding the new interface a bit sluggish on Android Chrome comparing to the old - particularly when replying to posts.

Looks nice, though.

> [edit] ah: the problem occurs when you edit a post. Like this one...

Think I've fixed that quote/edit bug. It only affected the first quote

Edit: Yeah, works OK now

Post edited at 17:22
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Clicking on "recent postings" on my profile used to take me to the last message I posted on a thread - useful for long threads when you're raking over the embers of a good argument, without having to re-read the whole thread. Now it just takes you to the top of said thread.

That should be fixed now.

Andy Hardy 12 Jan 2018

Cheers!

In reply to planetmarshall:

I've made a few tweaks that should hopefully make replying and editing posts quicker on mobile. They'll be further optimisations to come.

FactorXXX 12 Jan 2018

> They'll be further optimisations to come.

Optimisations?
You were doing so well in coming across as a normal non-geeky IT person and you have to go and spoil it with that beauty.
Optimisations indeed...

(The other mistake is forgiven).

In reply to Martin W:

> (I especially don't like the absence of underlining.

You can use Ctrl+U if you really need an underline. They're not really used on the web anymore tbh.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Optimisations?

OK, "I can make it go faster" but it's Friday night and it'll wait 'til Monday ...or possibly tomorrow depending on the weather

> Edit: Yeah, works OK now

Thanks.

See what I did there...

It seems to be the problem of trying to delete the double CR that I automatically type (years of ingrained behaviour). It requires multiple delete strokes to remove.

This also seems to confuse Google keyboard, as it fails to auto-capitalise.

The double-CR deletion problem only seems to be a problem for the first paragraph.

Give it a try. After the weekend...

> It seems to be the problem of trying to delete the double CR that I automatically type (years of ingrained behaviour). It requires multiple delete strokes to remove.

> This also seems to confuse Google keyboard, as it fails to auto-capitalise.

I had set the quotes to also add italic in the edit window and this change in text style seems to be confusing Google keyboard when deleting lines so I've put it back to how it was before. The italic/colour change is still auto-added when the post is submitted.

> Test quote, followed by deleted 'auto-2CR'...

Delete CR looks to be behaving normally. It's not WYSIWYG, though (fine by me)...

Removed User 13 Jan 2018

> To be honest, fixing bugs in the latest Safari is bad enough. We can't support Safari 6 I'm afraid.

I suppose that answers why it looks all weird on my machine running Safari 5. No UKC for me outside of work.

In reply to Removed UserBwox:

Can't you install Chrome?

https://google.co.uk/chrome

Post edited at 16:30
Removed User 13 Jan 2018

> Can't you install Chrome?

I'll give it a try - I'd assumed not because it wouldn't download Firefox.

TobyA 13 Jan 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH: not sure if it's related but I posted a picture this morning of Lila's Chocolate Feast (III 4). The route is linked properly from my photo but my photo doesn't show up on the route's own page 

In reply to TobyA:

I'm not not sure it's related either tbh but I'll take a look at the code. It hadn't saved the route name quite right so the matching was only working one way. It shows on the climb page now.

Thanks for reporting it.

Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2018

> This should be fixed in the next few weeks. We've been working on the mapping features on UKH for quite some time now but the changes weren't quite ready for this update.

So it's gone from mostly broken but usable before the "upgrade", to completely broken now, I can't import my tracks at all.

Since you've been promising that the mapping problems would be fixed "soon" for several years now, is your latest estimate any more reliable?

Andy Gamisou 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

> Whingeing is normal service!

> Just because you get used to something, that doesn't mean you like it.

Bet you aren't a ukb subscriber.  If you were then you'd truly understand the notion of upgrade *uck-up and quit complaining.

deepsoup 15 Jan 2018

Slightly odd one - I just posted something with a bit of <i>italic</i> text in it, using the <tags> out of force of habit, and this happened. (If it happens again.)  So I went to edit the post, but it opened up in the edit box already wysiwyged into italics (so no actual editing was required).

I'm using Firefox 'Quantum' on Linux, if that matters.

In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks, I'll take a look at this. It sounds like the editor is auto-converting the tags the second time round as <i> is on the safe tag list.

In reply to Flinticus:

After a few days getting used to the new look and feel on desktop, phone and tablet, I rather like it.  I'm sure all of this comes as a result of more work by the UKC/H team than us users can imagine and it's greatly to their credit that things look as good and work as well as they do.  Good job guys!

T.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jan 2018

I haven't trawled the whole thread but I have noticed when you add a comment to a logbook route, the box stays open and it appears to freeze. If you then cancel, the comment has already been posted. Not a big issue mind,

Chris

Cheers, Chris. I'm aware of that bug, should get it fixed tomorrow.

Should be fixed now. Worked on everything I tried it on.

Macca_7 16 Jan 2018

I notice in the diary pages the speed/pace? no longer appears when you enter the distance and the time.

Is this a deliberate omission or something that should be there. Used to like this feature?

Just noticed it does appear in your activity diary just not when you enter it!

Sorry

Cheers

Macca

Post edited at 13:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...