UKC

New routers, old routers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 19 Jun 2019

Why, whenever you switch internet provider, do they have to send you a new router?

Why can't they even save a bit of money by checking whether you've already got one that's suitable.

What exactly am I meant to do with all my old routers (1/year) ?

I have an associated gripe about needing to switch provider to maintain cheaper connection because every existing provider refuses to reward loyalty by carrying on at their offer price once the initial 12 month contract is complete. But that's for another time.

Ciro 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

It lowers support costs for them, because they know what the majority of their customers will be using.

mrphilipoldham 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Ciro:

But ultimately it’s terrible for the environment. 

arch 19 Jun 2019

We've just swapped from Virgin to EE and Virgin have asked for their router back, along with the two TV boxes. They're sending us a prepaid box to put them in, allegedly.

McHeath 19 Jun 2019

Disappointed in this thread. Thought it was going to be about 70+ year olds who still hang around with drills in dusty quarries.

I agree with your gripe though.

Dan Arkle 19 Jun 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Do your new routers ensure non-binary gendered, de-colonised IP addresses?

[sorry, wrong thread! ] 

McHeath 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Haha, brilliant! I found that article just incredibly boring.

FactorXXX 19 Jun 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> Disappointed in this thread. Thought it was going to be about 70+ year olds who still hang around with drills in dusty quarries.

There's old routers and new routers, but there are no old reused routers...

icnoble 20 Jun 2019

I never use the router that my isp gives me because generally they are not that good

McHeath 20 Jun 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> There's old routers and new routers, but there are no old reused routers...

That's because they all turn to mountain biking and get recycled ...

Martin W 20 Jun 2019

> Why, whenever you switch internet provider, do they have to send you a new router?

Plusnet gave me the option of not having a new router when I switched to them, which I was happy to take. That was a few years ago, though - I don't know if they still do.

Toerag 20 Jun 2019

Sell the old ones on ebay/facebook, routers occasionally die and people need new ones. Keep one spare for yourself.

In reply to icnoble:

> I never use the router that my isp gives me because generally they are not that good

TalkTalk's 'award-winning router' is barely fit for purpose. It appears they took a perfectly good Sagemcom router, and replaced the firmware with an utterly crippled, buggy piece of shit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...