UKC

New Student Update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/uni_new_student_question_-_help...

Thanks for the comments on the above thread. I know a few of you were keen to learn the final outcome.

A week ago things took a more sinister turn. The young man in question was coked up to the eyeballs until the early hours and about 4am, when two other students - not my daughter - came back he was found in the common area high as a kite. He then decided to wave knives around in a threatening manner.

All the students in the apartment complained and yesterday he moved out. Not sure if he was kicked out of the apartment, off the course, or whether he simply decided he wanted to be somewhere else but the right outcome has been achieved. 

gethin_allen 20 Oct 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Blimey, the best result for your daughter I guess but it does make me fear for those he ends up with if he hasn't been booted out. Maybe it's worth checking that everything has been officially recorded just in case he is still at the uni and starts causing trouble in his new accommodation.

Ridge 20 Oct 2021

Bloody hell. Hope your daughter and her mates are all OK, that's a hugely upsetting thing to encounter at that age.

I really think a formal complaint needs to be made to the Uni, (I'd also get the police involved if it's not too late). Him moving out, although hugely positive for your daughter and everyone else in the apartment, doesn't mean others aren't at risk.

Post edited at 08:02
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Blimey, the best result for your daughter I guess but it does make me fear for those he ends up with if he hasn't been booted out. Maybe it's worth checking that everything has been officially recorded just in case he is still at the uni and starts causing trouble in his new accommodation.

Ive asked my daughter to see if she knows or can find out but I suppose that confidentiality will prevent much info being released.

Ridge 20 Oct 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Agreed. He doesn't need quietly shuffling off to another apartment, he needs to be dealt with immediately.

wintertree 20 Oct 2021

Glad for your daughter that he’s out.

I hope the two students report this to the police, to whoever is responsible for the halls, to their academic advisors and to the relevant medical school.

Would hate to think it’s been swept under the carpet.

I was never clear if the medical school was at the same institution as your daughter; if it is the same, the internal email directory search might be a good way of checking to see if the other student has been shown the door. Many is the time I’ve inferred some general outcome from the end of an email address…

profitofdoom 20 Oct 2021

Blimey, waving knives - as wintertree says, definitely report to the police and the university, must go on the record. 

Thanks for posting, DrunkenBakers

elsewhere 20 Oct 2021

If reported to the police I think that means there's a crime number that can be supplied to the medical school.

Not a good first three weeks away from home for your daughter, I hope other better things have been happening too.

Good to know he's out of her student flat.

Post edited at 08:54
 hang_about 20 Oct 2021

Boy - students have their ups and downs in the first few weeks, but this is outrageous. Things will settle down for her - well done for giving her all the support she needs. Definitely police job for the knives though.

kathrync 20 Oct 2021

Wow! Well, I'm glad to hear he is out of your daughter's hair, anyway. Hopefully this was also addressed formally.

I hope your daughter is enjoying other aspects of her first semester, and feels able to settle in properly now!

lorentz 20 Oct 2021

Ah. Cocaine. The drug of choice for asshats with to much cash to splash. Combined with a load booze it prevents the useful cutoff of dull, boorish behaviours that passing out would otherwise bring about. A few of his other antics suddenly make "sense" too.

Onwards and upwards for your daughter and the rest of her flatmates! 

Offwidth 20 Oct 2021

I'd urge caution and insist on assurance its been taken seriously. A couple of cases I knew of that started with nasty misogynist behaviour in halls ended up bouncing back later as stalking.

Watching Panorama this week I'm not surprised we have growing problems. They set up a fake profile of someone interested in conspiracy theories and followed what the algorithms popped up with.  None really fed the conspiracy route (so recent changes on that must be working). However, Facebook and Instagram in particular sent the profile down a seriously misogynistic and sexual violence route. The last 7 minutes of the link from memory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010s0w/panorama-online-abuse-why-do...

Post edited at 12:16
In reply to Offwidth:

> I'd urge caution and insist on assurance its been taken seriously. A couple of cases I knew of that started with nasty misogynist behaviour in halls ended up bouncing back later as stalking.

> Watching Panorama this week I'm not surprised we have growing problems. They set up a fake profile of someone interested in conspiracy theories and followed what the algorithms popped up with.  None really fed the conspiracy route (so recent changes on that must be working). However, Facebook and Instagram in particular sent the profile down a seriously misogynistic and sexual violence route. The last 7 minutes of the link from memory.

This was my 1st reaction. Ive asked my daughter what she knows and if the police were informed.

Re. Panorama. I watched that episode. A deeply sickening reality of social media, probably worthy of its own thread.

Timmd 20 Oct 2021

Might your daughter, in the company of other students, contact the police, so that the end point of things potentially becomes known?

In reply to lorentz:

> Ah. Cocaine. The drug of choice for asshats with to much cash to splash.

Yeah. Before long, he'll barging his way into nightclubs, saying "don't you know who I am?", and strutting his stuff in an ill-fitting suit...

wintertree 20 Oct 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Yeah. Before long, he'll barging his way into nightclubs, saying "don't you know who I am?", and strutting his stuff in an ill-fitting suit...

Ah, I had my money on “do you know who my father is?”.

In reply to wintertree:

Maybe you were thinking (allegedly) "I'm the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster"...

balmybaldwin 20 Oct 2021

If I were you I would make sure the police had been involved and you had a crime number at least

> Ive asked my daughter to see if she knows or can find out but I suppose that confidentiality will prevent much info being released.

Alkis 20 Oct 2021

When I saw the other thread the first thing that came to mind was "report the c***". I was bemused by the number of people that suggested not to. Even so, THIS sort of escalation I wasn't quite expecting. Waving a knife around coked up while enrolled in MEDICINE sounds like he has serious issues.

Dr.S at work 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Alkis:

>  Waving a knife around coked up while enrolled in MEDICINE sounds like he has serious issues.

You don’t mean…no, the horror!... He could be a future orthopaedic surgeon!!

critter 21 Oct 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Probably be on the GMC Professional Standards Committee in 40 years time!

neilh 21 Oct 2021

You and your wife must have had a tough few weeks as when you last posted your daughter came home. 

I am amazed that she put up with it for so long, she must be tougher and more resilient than you think. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...