UKC

New Year's Resolutions/Aims for 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 17 Dec 2012
Hello achievers!

As most of us know, new year's resolutions are fleeting things, withering and dying in a corner sometime round mid-January... so instead, what are your aims for 2013, climbing and otherwise?
In reply to Tall Clare: To resolve my situation with work and health issues - this may mean ill-health retirement - and downstream consequences, which may involve moving house and possibly relocating to a different bit of the country.

Then to get to grips with the new situation and see what I'm capable of with regards to exercise, walking and if climbing's still on the agenda.

To take a long exposure picture I'm happy with (those ND filters need more use).

Promises, promises; but the first of those will be achieved as it's already 'in process', to use a hateful piece of management-speak.

T.
Douglas Griffin 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

As per this year, to spend at least a couple of weeks' holiday (preferably 3) in the Western Isles, and to get back to Mull and Iona, probably in October. Wouldn't mind trying to fit in a visit to Eigg as well.

To camp at the top of a big hill or two, with all of my camera gear,

To try to get my running fitness back to something like it was a couple of years ago.
KevinD 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

move out of the flatlands.
The rest goes from there with easier access.
In reply to Tall Clare: Get below 170lbs, lose a lttle body fat, up one bouldering gade and climbing grade, walk the High Stile Ridge, Cadair Idris and Cheviot.
Clauso 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: a

Gonna take up nitting. I haven't had head lice since I was a nipper.
 lost1977 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

off season training is going really well and looking forward to getting back to the velodrome for hopefully my first season of racing. Should hopefully be getting my hearing aids on the 3rd January which may well get me back in the studio and release an EP. job would be nice as well
 Paul Hy 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: My aims for next year:
1. Hopefully climb as much as this year. (about 350 routes)
2. Lead an E1.
3. Climb some multi-pitch routes in Wales and Lakes.
4. Go back to Spain for some more "Hot Rock".
 Reach>Talent 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
My New Years resolutions are usually an utter disaster, attempts to lose weight and improve my fitness end in weight gain and injury so last year I had a brainwave:

My 2012 resolutions were to take up smoking, injure myself and gain a stone; I'm a stone lighter and climbing harder!

So for 2013 I aim to develop serious time management problems, fail to train at all and definitely not climb harder than E2 all year. Hopefully that'll see me set for a positive year.
 Rampikino 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Believe it or not I'm one of those people who makes a genuine effort with aims. I would say they are not resolutions because often such things have fallen apart by January...

I have written down my aims for the last 8 or 9 years and checked back against them. I normally ponder my aims over Christmas so not sure about 2013, especially with a baby due. But I think for 2012 I did ok - I hit all my climbing targets anyway!
 CurlyStevo 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Well I've already started training for my 2013 objectives.

My main objectives are:
- Cogne / la Garve / similar 7days+ end of Jan.
- Scotland 1-3, 2-4 day trips over the winter, at least one grade V ice lead. I'd love to do Smiths / Point 5 / Hadrians Wall!
- Cullin Ridge mid may
- 2 Week summer alpine trip, exact objectives and timing still to be decided. But if later in the year perhaps the Matterhorn.
- Multiple E1 leads and at least one E2.

For this I'm going to need to step up my game and get pretty fit including loosing about 14 kg from my heaviest point 6 weeks ago (I've already lost 5kg and got a reasonable amount fitter!). I want to be at my goal weight and fitness for mid to late march and from there I'll be looking to maintain that throughout the summer, although I want to have a good level of fitness for the cogne trip.

Along with this I'm also improving my diet by reading various nutritional books and adjusting what I eat / drink. I'll be taking January off the booze and caffeine again this year.
 JLS 17 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:

>"job would be nice as well"

Didn't you post a couple of week ago you'd found one of those. Not work out?
 lost1977 17 Dec 2012
In reply to JLS:

agency told me they had work for me but they lied
 JLS 17 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:

bummer...
 owlart 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I'd like to get back to climbing after too many years out due to injury (think I said that last year, but was maybe a tad optimistic!). Just need to find a willing partner(s) to put up with me!
I'd like to go visit more friends, if they'll put up with me, too. Why do most of my friends all live so far away??
 Ed Navigante 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

E2
7b
V6/7

Wishful thinking? possibly, but what else do I have to do?
 John_Hat 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

E5 would be nice... E6 would be even better...
Getting above 300 routes in a day would be cool...

However, just getting fit again after the operation and being able to get out there on rock again would be just lovely..

*bounce* Physio has reluctantly agreed that I can have a go at some gentle climbing tomorrow... (2 months after op in October).
 Only a hill 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Be more disciplined and procrastinate less. Write more often and more effectively. Be smarter when it comes to marketing my books.
Eat more healthily and exercise more (I'm crap at exercising over the winter, except when I visit the hills!)

Strangely enough I managed to fulfil most of my aims for 2012, so that makes me optimistic about next year's goals =)
 jkarran 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing: Get in shape, get out a bit more than this year and get a couple of decent 7c's ticked off the project list. Don't get hurt. Do get a couple of Font trips in.

Gliding: Get some hours in, get my Bronze and Cross Country endorsements. Don't crash. Don't get giddy and bankrupt myself. Put something back into the club by doing some work.

Running: Go running, stop making excuses. Tollaidh Triathlon quicker than last time. Try one of the gentler mountain marathon type events.

Life: Get my finances sorted. Sort the mess in the house, stop hoarding. Look into buying a house. Get a more sensible car.

Other: Look into watchmaking as a hobby and do some more brewing. Convince my girlfriend a whippet would be great and that it's not a weird dog-bird hybrid with a too-small head.

I hate making lists because I know full well what will actually happen is I'll get distracted, do something else entirely then feel bad about not doing what was on the list rather than good about doing what distracted me.
jk
 ripper 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Lead an E3 and a sprinkling of E2s, save up enough money for another week in the Dolomites. that should do it.
Pinged 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Lead up to E2
Start proper winter climbing
Drive a campervan round the UK coast getting as much climbign in as possible.
Stop resenting muscular boulderers...they are people too
In reply to Tall Clare:

Get a distinction in my MSc

Climb the vertical height of Everest (this is a perennial one, I've got within 500m or so the last couple of years, so it's definitely achievable)

Climb 100 routes in a day (another old chestnut)

Lead some E2s that aren't just frightening grit slabs

Climb on Cloggy (another long-term aim, which remains unfathomably unfulfilled)

That'd do, I suppose...
 Skyfall 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Really really kick the UKC habit - I'm getting there but it would be nice to wake up one day and realise I've not posted for months...

More seriously (well, no, actually that was quite serious), get rid of niggling injuries and be able to climb again without worrying about them. Torn intercostal more or less sorted, shoulder impingement still ongoing.

Get climbing steadily again on trad. Be more adventurous. Convert sports fitness to trad. Climb some more routes in the low to mid E's on some 'proper' crag in the Lakes or Wales - none of this grit rubbish All stuff I wanted to do in 2012 until the injury woes intervened.

Hit certain targets in the business. My retirement plan (well, no one else and in particular the Gov't are going to help).

Go on some of those bucket trips I've been saving up and see some more of the world after a bit of a hiatus.
 climbingpixie 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing goals:

Boulder Font 7a on the grit this winter
Get more consistent at E2 and improve my fitness so I can do pumpy routes
Start trying some E3s (proper ones, not slate soft touches this time)
Do a bit more sport redpointing

Generally:

Survive my skiing holiday without breaking anything
Lose another half a stone
Ride the Fred Whitton and the White Rose full course
Focus my work efforts on trying to get into the area of the business (energy policy) I'm more interested in than my current job
Learn Fairisle knitting
andreas 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: If the worlds still turning I'm planning on taking loads of acid and DMT then wondering around the peaks making friends with animals. I'd quite like to ride the Fred Whitton too.
 Skyfall 17 Dec 2012
In reply to andreas:
> I'm planning on taking loads of acid and DMT then wondering around the peaks making friends with animals.

The acid is definitely getting to you - it's "Peak".

NIce objective though - just don't get toooo friendly with those animals
Wiley Coyote2 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not really decided yet but I think I'll resolve not to keep putting things off till later
 Yanis Nayu 18 Dec 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>

> Climb the vertical height of Everest (this is a perennial one, I've got within 500m or so the last couple of years, so it's definitely achievable)

Just do Everest and spend the rest of the year on the settee drinking beer with your hands down your under pants.
 Yanis Nayu 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: My NYR last year was to learn a foreign language and that's still going strong)))

Dunno about 2013. I might do some climbing...
 Timmd 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:To get a grip and 'grow up properly'.

Les personally, go abroad on holiday and restart my Spanish, and work out what I want to study that's related to doing something environmental for a career.

Getting a grip would be a good start though.
 Timmd 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:I don't one can always grow in all areas at once, thinking about it. Have had a lot of personal growth this year even if the nuts and bolts practicalities side of life hasn't progressed as quickly as i'd have liked. Maybe the personal growth has had to come first? Hmmn...
 Gav Parker 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

End my 40 yr fetish.......
 mark s 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: my new years resolution was to start back at the gym,i woke up on sunday and thought 'sod it' no time like the present and i went on sunday.
 Timmd 18 Dec 2012
In reply to mark s:That's what i'm doing with some of my things to do.
 CENSORED 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Get out more, been working too much this year.
 fizz 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Put down the cakes after a couple of years of shabby health and with knee rehab just kicking off, improve my biscuit to bicep ratio because I have a perennial NY rezzie of completing everything in Classic Rock, it’s still unfinished, so lots to be done
 The New NickB 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have got some exciting work challenges and opportunities, so making the most of those will be important.

New relationship in very embryonic stages, so hopefully good things will come from that.

I am running a couple of marathons in the Spring so I have got a lot of hard training to do and lots of other running objectives.

Would like to get lots of days in the hills, summer and winter, long mountain rock climbs and a bit of mixed and ice.

Not really resolutions.
 Blizzard 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Loose weight. (idealy a stone) Get fit.
Removed User 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Exclude cakes, biscuits, crisps and beer from my diet (beer will be tough).
Finish the Munros (58 to go) before November when I will be A Certain Age.

Phase 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

to get an amateur MMA fight towards the end of summer.

J
 Run_Ross_Run 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Run a Mountain Marathon in under 4.5hrs
Finish the Highland Fling in well under 10hrs
Get enough points for the UTMB in 2014
Get a job
Get a motorhome
 Nathan Adam 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: To get myself fit and start doing some proper hill running.
Get more confidence leading.
To go back to North Wales and enjoy sunshine and rock again.
Get ML trained.
To pass my college course.
Cuillin Ridge.
 teflonpete 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Had a bit of an odd year this year which has changed my outlook on life considerably. Apart from wanting to get another distinction in my next OU module (and to be honest, that's only so I've got breathing space on the later modules), I haven't really got any 'aims' for next year, other than to enjoy what comes along, and I think I'm going to. :0)
OP Tall Clare 21 Dec 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

Sounds like a plan - it's surprising how much a year of changes can take it out of you.
I'd better reply to my own thread...

There are various non-physical aims for the year, like continuing to grow my business, having as drama-free a wedding as possible, some creative tasks, but for the purposes of this thread:

- lose two stone (eek)
- run 10k by the start of April
- Mary Towneley Loop on mtb in the summer
- climb 100 routes - whether lead, second or solo, and what grade, doesn't matter, as for now it's mileage that counts for me
- sort out my front crawl (finally - it's been on my list of things to do for far too long now)

Oh blimey.
In reply to Tall Clare:

To keep focused on what matters, creatively and personally. A very difficult juggling act.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Very true.
Wonko The Sane 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I haven't a bloody clue.

It's a toss up between getting my head down and progressing my career a bit, which has been stagnant for the last 4 years, or, I've enough money to go live somewhere like India, rent a little house, buy a crapy wooden sailing boat and mess about for a couple of years.

I want to bugger off, but I ought to do the career thing.
 Timmd 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:If i'd just tackled and beaten cancer i'd be off to India I think.

It always strikes me that terminal people rush about fitting things in and everybody else plods along it seems thinking another day will do.

I don't mean to speak out of turn by the way though.
 Timmd 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> Sounds like a plan - it's surprising how much a year of changes can take it out of you.

That's what i've found.
In reply to Timmd: Tim, the caner op was in 2007. The primary treatments were done and dusted in 2008 and the remaining secondary stuff in early 2011.

It's not really to do with having been ill, just in practical terms, I ought to move my career along and make enough dosh to retire fully.

I'm just a lazy bugger though and quite fancy a bit of sailing. Unfortunately I'm 47 so if I stop work and go buggering about now..... unlikely I'll get another entry into a career, hence, ought to progress the career.
 Timmd 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:I see, that makes sense, was just thinking in a seizing the day kind of way.

Best to retire fully and enjoy it I guess rather than faff about and need to keep working.
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)I see, that makes sense, was just thinking in a seizing the day kind of way.
>
> Best to retire fully and enjoy it I guess rather than faff about and need to keep working.

I can hardly think of a better definition of faffing about than retiring from life and not living life to the full.

CurlyStevo 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
The weight loss and fitness is all very achievable it just takes focus. Two stone isn't really that much, that will probably drop off as part of the running and mountain biking assuming you are eating well. I've lost a stone in the last 6 weeks whilst getting fitter and eating better but not necessarily less. Half of that I put on by being lazy taking a break from exercise after a pretty hectic summer. I'm aiming to loose another stone in to the new year taking me to around 80kg which is about as light as I get tbh and I may not achieve all of that but I'll be happy with anything under 85kg as a consistent weight for the summer.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> I can hardly think of a better definition of faffing about than retiring from life and not living life to the full.

Retiring from work = retiring from life??

Unfortunate though it may be, some things cost money, if you want to go do them, you have to earn it.
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

More or less what I'm saying, isn't it?
 Steve John B 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Hello achievers!
>
> As most of us know, new year's resolutions are fleeting things, withering and dying in a corner sometime round mid-January... so instead, what are your aims for 2013, climbing and otherwise?

The Ms is expecting a baby in June, so main life aim is to deal with all that as best I can. And to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch onto the affirmative... stuff like that.

Climbing-wise, some would be nice. Managed a 12 foot Diff and an hour indoors this year. Hoping for a dry Spring so I can get a few days out.

Also want to get some consistency back with running, become a back-marker in a few fell races again, and lose a stone and a half (from 12.5 to 11).

Plus do more music practice, maybe find some similarly challenged musicians to mess about with.
 teflonpete 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> Sounds like a plan - it's surprising how much a year of changes can take it out of you.

Wouldn't have said it took anything out of me, the opposite almost. Just realised how much of what I was doing was to hide from the realities of a dying relationship and how much of it was because it was something I really wanted to do.
 Ciro 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Save enough money to live for a year in a van

Climb an 8a

Climb an E6

Sell all my worldly goods to buy the van
In reply to teflonpete:

Ah yes, sorry, that's me projecting my year onto you - sorry!
 Yanis Nayu 21 Dec 2012
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> [...]
>
> Wouldn't have said it took anything out of me, the opposite almost.

What about 4 gallons of gizm?

Yanis Nayu 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I'm not much of a planner - I just take it as it comes.
 teflonpete 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) I just take it as it comes.

So we've heard... :0)
 Yanis Nayu 21 Dec 2012
In reply to teflonpete: I set 'em up, you knock 'em in!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...