UKC

No exercise for a week... what do I do??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ed Navigante 11 Feb 2013
I've just had laser eye surgery, and have been told not to exercise for a week, swim for 2 or play contact sports for 4. the swimming and contact sports don't bother me so much, but no climbing? can't switch to cycling or running either...

I've kind of forgotten what people do with their lives when they don't climb! any advice? (other than get a new UKC profile and spend the week trolling, which could be fun)

(climbing is exercise, but I have a friend who reckons climbing hard could count as a contact sport, what with possibly smacking into walls at high speed... sod that!)
 footwork 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: Ed, have you tried masturbating?
OP Ed Navigante 11 Feb 2013
In reply to footwork:

That hardly fills the missing 20 odd hours of my week. maybe 2 or 3, sure, but what next?
 LastBoyScout 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante:

Watch some good films - assuming you're allowed to watch TV for any length of time.

It's only a week!

Clean and wash all your climbing gear, lube cams and replace all that tatty ID tape?
Get some counciling......
In reply to Ed Navigante: Yoga/stretching?

That's what I should be doing. Maybe I should get my eyes lazered
 Shani 11 Feb 2013
> I've just had laser eye surgery, and have been told not to exercise for a week, swim for 2 or play contact sports for 4. the swimming and contact sports don't bother me so much, but no climbing? can't switch to cycling or running either...
>
> I've kind of forgotten what people do with their lives when they don't climb! any advice? (other than get a new UKC profile and spend the week trolling, which could be fun)
>
> (climbing is exercise, but I have a friend who reckons climbing hard could count as a contact sport, what with possibly smacking into walls at high speed... sod that!)

1) Watch 'Breaking Bad' (you can sign up for free with Netflix).
2) Monkey Tennis.

'Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body' - Sir Richard Steele
 Steve John B 11 Feb 2013
In reply to footwork:
> (In reply to ERH) Ed, have you tried masturbating?

He said no contact sports for 4 weeks
 tlm 11 Feb 2013

Do some drawing.
Read a book
Do crosswords
Learn a song
Play an instrument
Sew or knit
cook
clean
do a jigsaw
play video games
watch telly
watch films
listen to music
do some flower arranging
make a junk model
sort out your filing cabinet
tidy out your kitchen cuboards
do all those little diy jobs you keep on putting off
write letters to people
phone a friend
 Hat Dude 11 Feb 2013
In reply to footwork:
> (In reply to ERH) Ed, have you tried masturbating?

That's why he had to have the eye surgery
 Rich D 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: The no exercise rule for a week is to stop you bashing your eye and causing complications with the flap. Unless you are totally uncoordinated, core body weight exercises are fine - would keep away from excess chalk for the first week as well. Use your common sense and don't poke yourself in the eye whilst exercising and you'll be fine.
redsonja 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: its only for a week. just chill and get yourself better. read a good book (unless that would harm your eyes?), watch some good films and plan what you are going to do when you can exercise again
 Pero 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: Shouldn't you have thought of this before you had the surgery? I decided against getting it done because I couldn't bear the thought of an imposed break from the great outdoors!
In reply to Pero:
> I decided against getting it done because I couldn't bear the thought of an imposed break from the great outdoors!

That's rather short sighted though.

(i'll get my coat)
 Pero 11 Feb 2013
In reply to professionalwreckhead: Yes, very short sighted. And, presbyopic too!
 Postmanpat 11 Feb 2013
> I've just had laser eye surgery, and have been told not to exercise for a week, swim for 2 or play contact sports for 4. the swimming and contact sports don't bother me so much, but no climbing? can't switch to cycling or running either...
>
I had this done a few months ago. The consultant at Moorfields told me he had no problem with non contact (ex water) sports after a couple of days. Running, gym etc fine and probably climbing. Just don't rub your eyes to remove the sweat.
 itsThere 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: give it a day and you will be trolling ukc, there is nothing else to do. its not fun, well trolling can be but not climbing. its worth it in the long run.

see if you can watch all of lost or 24. maybe an old tv series or two.
 Timmd 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante:See it as a chance to become more rounded, and find things to do which require you to be still and at peace?

It's an opportunity. ()
OP Ed Navigante 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to ERH)See it as a chance to become more rounded...

that's my fear
 Andy Hay 11 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: Go through all your guide books & make up a tick list for the summer whlist planning the trips to do so?
 kbow265 12 Feb 2013
In reply to Ed Navigante: Throw on a pair of ski goggles? You'll look less silly if you're winter climbing... :P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...