UKC

No Smart Phone - How can I Volunteer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 08 Apr 2020

There's often people with good advice on here - so I'll try. I've signed up as an NHS Volunteer Responder and received the welcome email. But I don't have a smart phone (I call my old-fashioned phone a "Dim Phone") . So I don't think I can access the GOODSAM Responder App to get me started. A bit frustrating really as I was pretty keen to help. Anyone in the same position, or with good ideas how to get around this?

Martin

In reply to Martin Hore:

Buy a cheap smartphone...?

Jack B 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin Hore:

You may have friends who have upgraded and still have an old one in a drawer? A phone with a near-dead non-replaceable battery would be pretty useless as a phone, but might work for you?

In fact if you're in Edinburgh, I'll give you an old Moto Defy. Edit: Scratch that, the Defy is too old to run the app.

Post edited at 13:12
 Neil Williams 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin Hore:

If you can't get a smartphone I'm sure there's other ways of volunteering - try any local area Facebook groups or your local Council?

OP Martin Hore 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks for the replies so far.

I offered my help to my local Council a while ago but have not heard from them. It may be, of course, that they are wary of involving older people. If I was 6 months older I should be completely isolating at home.

Martin

Jamie Wakeham 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin Hore:

Even if you get a smart phone, they're saying that they are overwhelmed with volunteers and won't be registering any more for a while to come.

You'll probably be able to do more good by getting involved with whatever local community support groups are in place around you.  Have a look on Facebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...