UKC

Noon Fly - regurgitating fluid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Seen plenty of these flies over the summer (which I think is a Noon Fly), but this one caught my attention - it didn’t just move away when I was passing nearby. I initially thought at first glance with the light behind it that it had a rain drop on it, but it hadn’t been raining. However, it looks like it was regurgitating? Twice it sucked the fluid in/out whilst I took photos!

Post edited at 16:42

nniff 08 Sep 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Love the shot with the droplet!

RX-78 08 Sep 2022
In reply to nniff:

Yea, great shot, cool zooming in on it.

pneame 08 Sep 2022

Fantastic picture!

DaveHK 08 Sep 2022

Great shot.

Bottom Clinger 08 Sep 2022

Great stuff. How did you get the droplet shot?

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

A lucky shot; weather was poor, so this made the background just plain from the thick cloud behind and it was facing the “right” direction with light ok when I passed it. 

The fly was on top of a high fence and I was walking by when it caught my eye having been photographing a Little Grebe. Previously my experience of Noon Flies is that they would fly away being so close, but this one didn’t so I move forward to get beyond the min focus point of the lens and took some shots. I was using a long telephoto lens hence shallow depth of field.

Post processing included resizing and then cropping tight other than minor usual highlights, shadows and contrast.

Michael Hood 09 Sep 2022

Especially like the lens effect in the droplet - cracking shot

Amazing! What's the camera/lens?

In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

First one was taken on an iphone camera “blindly” fired!! It was only taken just to get a reference picture from above to confirm ID - it was a 6ft fence so not possible to get a photo otherwise.

Second photo, was a trial of an OM1, I have had an Olympus OM-D EM1 mk2 for a few years now and like Olympus, coupled to an Olympus 300mm IS F4 prime (600mm FF equivalent).

Initial impression testing both the OM1 and the 300mm lens is they are both a significant improvement in many ways over the previous camera/lenses I’ve got to be worthwhile upgrades for bird photography I’m getting into this year.

plyometrics 09 Sep 2022

Second shot is a beauty. Nice one. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...