UKC

Not a bee but a fly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Something different.

Thought I was photographing a bee, but researched and think it is one of the fly species that mimic bumble bees. Narcissus bulb fly most likely unless anyone knows otherwise. https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/flies/narcis... 

Eciton 31 May 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

One way to distinguish between a bee and a fly is that bees always have 4 wings and flies have 2 normal one and 2 very reduces ones, that actually look like a dumbell with plates only in one side (they are small). I can't really found them in your photo, but it looks that it only has 2 normal wings. If that is the case then it is a fly.

LeeWood 31 May 2023

I don't know this one by sight. Bombylius major is more frequent and identifiable SW France - distinctly bee shaped with a long proboscis; also parasitises genuine bees :o

In reply to Eciton:

Thanks; hadn’t realised about the wings. Haven’t got any more detailed photos though this is a more side on one and seems only two wings present.

In reply to LeeWood:

Ah, I think I’ve seen those Bombylius major flies earlier this year (assuming they exist in east central Scotland!). May have some photos in my unprocessed folders since I didn’t know what it was at the time.

Bottom Clinger 31 May 2023

There  be appears to be a concentration of bee flys in your neck of the woods. They’re cool. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Thanks. One place I’ve seen them is Gaddon loch at south east end.

If anyone is interested  …. The bee fly was featured on Springwatch last night  - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001mg70/springwatch-2023-episode-4 ; just after 39 mins 30 sec or so.

The modified wings are called halteres and play a very significant part of the flight - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halteres .

gravy 02 Jun 2023

I rescued a bee-fly (Bombyliidae) from my house the other day - a very splendid thing it was.  Strangely delicate and clumsy compared with a real bee.

steveb2006 02 Jun 2023

I think your photos are the bulb fly as you thought - the bee fly has a distinctive long proboscis - https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/bee-flies-cute-bee-mimic-with-a-dark-side.ht....

As mentioned, bee fly featured on Springwatch.

In reply to steveb2006:

Might partly explain why I’ve been losing productivity of daffodils and other bulbs in recent years!!

craig h 03 Jun 2023

An easy mistake to make and many do, there are about 280 species of hoverflies in the UK, many are bee or wasp mimics and also use the same habitats.

Often underestimated, both as pollinators and very effective hunters of aphids when in their larval stage, unlike young bees that just sit in the hive and get fed. I'd have to dig out the research papers, but they do consume a huge amount.

Some of the species migrate huge distances in a mass migration event, probably millions of them in the air at the same time. I first came across this on an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea and presumed the ones I saw came out in a container, the scaffolders were running around in a panic as they thought they were wasps.

I now collect and record data on the offshore hoverfly mass migration events for the Centre for Ecology and Conservation at Exeter University, it is the only data they get from up there. I know that some of last years hoverflies started their journey in Denmark and Germany, only for me to capture them on an oil rig half way between Aberdeen and Bergen in Norway. An amazing journey for something so small.

It isn't Bombylius major or Merodon equestris, would have to dig a book out to ID it, will manage that at a later date.

Post edited at 13:09
 craig h 03 Jun 2023
In reply to craig h:

Just had a quick look through my book and it could be Merodon equestris (female), but could very much be wrong as it doesn't quite look right with the dark band on the thorax, it's only a local book for Saddleworth Area too so only has 144 of the UK species in it.

If you want to be 100% there is a Facebook site which would love the information - photo, location (either postcode or 6 figure OS map reference) and the day of the sighting. They will let you know what it is and the information will be added to a database.

It can get addictive if you enjoy photographing insects, as hoverflies will more often sit for you on a flower and are brightly coloured. Link to the site anyway. https://www.facebook.com/groups/609272232450940

Post edited at 14:48
In reply to craig h:

Thanks for your posts. I had no idea some species of fly migrate; how they do it is beyond my comprehension.

I’m not concerned to get a definite ID, and was just surprised myself to discover what I assumed was a bee turned out to be a fly. Interested and trying to learn more generally, and posted as much for the interests of others on here.

Many thanks for the info you’ve posted. Every day is a learning day with nature stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...