UKC

nottingham... accomodation??? advice please fellow climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 medomjones 22 Jan 2013
Hi,

recently moved to pleasley vale, but am looking to move nearer nottingham, any advice on where is good and bad would be very much appreciated.

originally a North Wales sheep moved here for work.... not really been climbing for 2 months but..... ready for action.

30yr old single bloke looking for accomodation, cook, clean, happy chappy looking for similar peeps/climbing crew to move in with, hang out, etc etc, im a limestone lover but the Grit is calling me for my fingertips!

boulder v6/v7

sport 6c/6c+

trad HVS+

any advice on location or available accomodation would be very much appreciated,

please call Dom 07746146196
 philipivan 22 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:

Definitely advertise and ask in both walls. There always used to be rooms to rent on the old wall notice board.

Phil
 toad 22 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones: Sherwood/ Mansfield Road would put you near(ish) the Peak getaway routes, with a combination of affordable but not (too) grotty housing and facilities. I live south of the river for a raft of reasons, and it's a nice if slightly pricey part of (greater) Nottingham with a mix of accomodation. Not that handy for the grit, though.

Having said that, I used to work around Pleasley Vale. My gut reaction is that anywhere would be an improvement. That row of shuttered up terraces on the way out to the dual carriageway is incredibly depressing.
 ebygomm 22 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:

Also depends on where you normally want to be in Nottingham, e.g. university or city centre.

It can be quicker to get to the Peak from east of the city rather than West which you might not expect.
OP medomjones 22 Jan 2013
gentlemen,

thankyou for your advice, pleasley, is just not up to my standards, rock isnt that good either

Regards.

Toad, would it be possible to give you a tinkle and get the lowdown on specific areas.... much appreciated, im a complete newbie and have moved to the wrong area.

ta
OP medomjones 22 Jan 2013
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> Also depends on where you normally want to be in Nottingham, e.g. university or city centre.
>
> It can be quicker to get to the Peak from east of the city rather than West which you might not expect.

Gents,

i require access to J27 for work purposes, happy to have 30mins commute if possible, but more importantly close to the walls and social life/events.

stevieb 22 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:
Hi, It's going to depend a bit on your budget. Beeston is on the west of the city, is a nice area to live and has a bit of a social scene. Wollaton and Bramcote are just north from there and are both good places to live, but have less of a town centre than Beeston.
Mansfield Rd/ Sherwood is a decent enough area and not too far from either of the walls.
All of these are north or west of Nottingham, so in the right direction for your work.
West Bridgford is probably the nicest part of Nottingham when you want to settle down, but is further away from your work, the walls and the Peak.
 Lukem6 22 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones: Plenty of cheap accomodation around Nottingham Climbing Centre, its near the Tram stop also. I'd offer you our spare room but we already have squatters up there. try 30 belton street I hear its up for let
 Lukem6 22 Jan 2013
In reply to lm610: its next door and less than £400pcm Is the rumour I hear.
 winhill 23 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:

St Anns and the Meadows are the areas to avoid, unless you carry your own weapon and are just itching for the chance to use it.

If you're more a white, working class criminal type then Broxtowe Estate may be more to your liking but you'd have to get in with the right people to avoid stepping on too many toes.

Radford/Canning Circus is good if you don't know many people to get drugs from and could save some petrol driving around looking for deals.

If you're looking to get out to the Peak after work then it doesn't matter too much where you live, as you'd still have to get out of town. Weekends is just slow through Derbyshire, so Black Rocks or Stanage makes little difference.

Actually Pleasley gives you good access to the Peak, a choice of Sheffield and Nottingham Walls (or Derby if you feel that way inclined) so you could just park at Hucknall and get the tram in.
 toad 23 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:
> gentlemen,
>

>
> Toad, would it be possible to give you a tinkle and get the lowdown on specific areas.... much appreciated, im a complete newbie and have moved to the wrong area.
>
> ta

Sure mail me through here if you like, although I can't really tell you anything more than has been posted. I live in W. Bridgford, but apart from the obvious trouble spots, most places in Nottm. are fine. I've friends in Gedling and Arnold who really rate those areas as well. Outside of Nottm, I would avoid west notts - it isn't that there aren't some nice areas, but you really have to know where to look. For eg. Ilkeston (Derby, technically) is post apocalyptic!
 Mikkel 23 Jan 2013
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to medomjones)

so you could just park at Hucknall and get the tram in.

Or just go for a house in Hucknall, easy access to the Peaks, and easy access to Nottingham by Tram or Train.
 Offwidth 23 Jan 2013
In reply to toad and WinHill:

You two should be ashamed of yourselves, those areas have problems but plenty of climbers do and have lived there OK and there are good bits that are way better than the bad bits of areas you recommend (speaking as someone who has lived in Nottingham for 29 years; including owning a terrace in The Meadows for a decade with no issues and now in an estate at the top of the Wells Road, driving through St Anns daily). One of the worst things in Nottingham in my opinion is the snobbery (much of it school based) that has led for example to a middle class ghetto and stupid house prices in the Bridgeford area.
 toad 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth: your right about Bridgford, it's overpriced but a nice place to live with a lot going for it (hey, I don't even have kids!).

But I've had some dodgy experiences in both the Meadows and St Annes (I worked in Sneinton for many years - wouldn't live there either, though I know people who wouldn't live anywhere else). Friend of mine has lived in the meadows for umpty odd years and had no problem, but a colleage rented in the next road over and had the TV forcibly stolen - Whilst they were watching it! (Scroat kicked the door down first - presumably knew they were 2 young women).

I've got a soft spot for Carrington, mind. Sherwood is quite eclectic as well. Carlton is ok, but the wrong side of town entirely for a getaway, and my sources say it has a suprisingly high crim count.

Bad stuff goes off in St Annes all the time - mostly doesn't involve outsiders, but it keeps the criminal lawyers I know in steady business
 toad 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to winhill)
> [...]
>
> so you could just park at Hucknall and get the tram in.
>
> Or just go for a house in Hucknall, easy access to the Peaks, and easy access to Nottingham by Tram or Train.

mucky 'ucknor? That might be the way forward.
 ebygomm 23 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:

> I've got a soft spot for Carrington, mind. Sherwood is quite eclectic as well. Carlton is ok, but the wrong side of town entirely for a getaway,

Not necessarily true, we lived Carlton/Netherfield and going up to Mapperley along Lime Lane, onto the A614 across at Burntstump to the A60 and through Papplewick and Linby to J27 was far quicker than trying to get out anywhere North from say the university in an evening.

winhill 23 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> Bad stuff goes off in St Annes all the time - mostly doesn't involve outsiders, but it keeps the criminal lawyers I know in steady business

Don't argue - you want a cap in yo ass?
 Offwidth 24 Jan 2013
In reply to winhill:

Blimey, climbers with so much fear of shadows. I'm not trying to pretend all areas are the same but in the nice middle class areas you pay through the nose for a house and there are still plenty of burglaries. I thought real climbers would rather be spending their money on trips than the safest posible neighborhood. Back to my original critism when you are starting off and dont have much luxury of choice and need a cheaper place the local situation is much more important than the wider area.. I lived in a terrace in the Meadows for ages and was fine.
 Camm 24 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones:
Nottingham has always been put down by the press, it was never as bad as they made out, if you live in Nottingham and then visit certain parts of London for comparison you will know what I mean.

St Ann's/Meadows which I'd probably say has the worst reputation, are not places to avoid, especially when you're renting. They're not great areas but they aren't that bad once you get to know them.

Radford and Lenton is full of students. I live east Nottingham, I can get to Chesterfield in less than 30 minutes and the traffic has never been bad. It's about 10-15 min from Junction 27, about 10 min from both climbing centres and 10 min from city centre. Yet at the end of my road, you're in the country side. I'm 5 min north from Carlton/St anns.

I've lived in Nottingham all of my life so should have a decent idea, the only reason I'd move away is to get even closer to the peak, i.e Sheffield, or potentially for work but the pay would have to be good!
In reply to medomjones: Heyup Dom, when I first moved to Nottingham a few years ago I lived in Sherwood in a shared house and really liked it there. I now live in Watnall which makes commuting into the city centre a pain but its a lot easier to get out to the Peak from home. If you like I can try and find the contact details for the agency that I got my room through - they manage a load of properties in Nottingham and took me for a tour around all the ones with free rooms and I just took my pick. Drop me an email if you'd like any more info or are stuck for someone to get out climbing with. =o)

Kyle
 stevieb 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
Hi, I know the terraces in the Meadows have always been far nicer than the new estate, and the Meadows never feels that scary, but why would you recommend somewhere in the south or east of the city, when everything he wants is in the North West?
 doz generale 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> Blimey, climbers with so much fear of shadows. I'm not trying to pretend all areas are the same but in the nice middle class areas you pay through the nose for a house and there are still plenty of burglaries. I thought real climbers would rather be spending their money on trips than the safest posible neighborhood. Back to my original critism when you are starting off and dont have much luxury of choice and need a cheaper place the local situation is much more important than the wider area.. I lived in a terrace in the Meadows for ages and was fine.

I lived in the meadows for a couple of years and never had anything bad happen directly to me however in the two years i lived there there were 3 murders within half a mile of my house one of which was a child! and we were burgled twice. The best things about the meadows are the 5 min walk to the centre and the access to the riverside and large playing fields which act as flood planes, a lovely spot in the summer. I also lived in Lenton for a while, Probably a bit nicer then the Meadows but has the highest burglary rate in the country and i think you would feel out of place there if your not a student.

I would suggest that for a climber you need to be on the other side of the city somewhere like sherwood or mapperly are close to the escape routes to the peak and still nice and close to town.
Bobz 24 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones: ill vote for sneinton - cos I live there. Used to live in sherwood which is fine too. sneinton is very close to middle of town, and easy to escape the city, plus the new climbing centre is only down the road. i lived in london for a few years too, and sneinton, with its large multicultural community, is reminiscent of parts of east london.
my gran lived in the meadows all her life!
 Ali 24 Jan 2013
In reply to medomjones: Kimberley and Watnall are both fine - perhaps a bit further out than you're looking for but buses directly into city centre take 30mins (or less) and you're near the tram too. Plus you have very quick access to J26 of the M1 so you can get up to J27 quickly and up to the peak. Kimberley centre has all the essentials (supermarket, post office, doctors, dentist, shops etc) and a great leisure centre (pool, newish gym). About 15-20min drive to wall.
OP medomjones 28 Jan 2013
Gents,

thankyou for your advice and opinions very much appreciated, ill be making my move in a couple of weeks,

anyone with a spare room and a celler if poss

thanks
 Offwidth 30 Jan 2013
In reply to doz generale:

"however in the two years i lived there there were 3 murders within half a mile of my house one of which was a child! and we were burgled twice."

You could say the same for living in The Park or Mappareley Park, two of the most exclusive areas in the city (but right next to rougher areas). I agree that climbers are maybe better looking in the NE for ease of escape to the Peak (another reason to avoid Bridgeford).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...