UKC

Nowt like a good cuppa....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

... but what about the plastic in your tea bag.

http://moralfibres.co.uk/is-there-plastic-in-your-tea/

Does this make you want to switch to leaf tea?

Tall Clare 09 Mar 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I'm now wondering about coffee filter papers (of the sort that you use with drippers). Off to find out.

john arran 09 Mar 2018

> Does this make you want to switch to leaf tea?

Probably not, but certainly makes me want the manufacturers to start making more biodegradable ones, and potentially open to brand change to one that does (although it would have to be a bloody good alternative to give up Yorkshire Tea for!)

Also, will make me now keep used teabags with the rest of the rubbish when wild camping, rather than lobbing them into the nearest bush.

In reply to john arran:

Yorkshire is my tea of choice and they say that they are working on non-plastic versions so I will probably stick with them.

In reply to Tall Clare:

I suspect not - the plastic element in Tea bags is to enable them to be sealed, an open filter won't need this.

deepsoup 09 Mar 2018

Paper filters do have the seam on one side though.  Perhaps the thickness of the paper means the plastic element is unnecessary, but I don't think it's so different to a tea bag that that is obviously the case.

Jenny C 09 Mar 2018

It explains why I keep pulling mesh pyramids out of my compost. Would certainly consider changing brands if they were 100% compostable. 

Think leaf tea makes a better drink, but it's more expensive and less convenient than teabags. 

tehmarks 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

> Think leaf tea makes a better drink, but it's...less convenient than teabags. 

Get yourself a tea pot with a strainer. The process then becomes 'add tea inside basket, add water, wait 4 minutes, pour', compared to the tea bag procedure of 'add teabag to cup, add water, wait 4 minutes, remove teabag'.

Of course, the less discerning might make tea by some horrifying combination of dipping or squeezing - in which case I suppose leaf tea is indeed less convenient.

Jenny C 09 Mar 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Got one and yes they are great.  

I can't abide it when the bag had been squeezed half to death - releases all the tannin and makes the drink bitter. Leaf tea no matter how strong or stewed it gets rarely goes bitter. 

tehmarks 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

And yet try telling my parents that. My mum takes offence that I make tea by leaving the tea bag alone for some minutes in the cup...but then goes and squeezes the life out hers after dunking it in and out of the cup 20 times! All of the crap, none of the tea!

(Not that I'm particular or anything...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...