UKC

Numbers in hospital

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 07 May 2020

So our daily death rate appears to have held up significantly higher than that in France, which a few weeks ago it looked like we were closely following. However, I understand the number of people in UK hospitals with Covid is now around 13000, whereas in France it is 23000. Why the difference?

I am using UK figures from the daily briefing and French figures from this article:

https://www.france24.com/en/20200507-france-records-178-covid-19-deaths-in-...

marsbar 07 May 2020
In reply to Si dH:

From what I can make out over here people are not being taken to hospital unless they need ventilator.  

mik82 07 May 2020
In reply to Si dH:

The threshold for hospital admission is lower, and how long people spend in hospital before discharge is much higher in continental countries than the UK (for all illnesses, not just for covid).

OP Si dH 07 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Ventilators are just in ICUs, that's a smaller number again so I'm fairly sure what you say there is incorrect.

OP Si dH 07 May 2020
In reply to mik82:

Interesting, thanks, didn't know that.

marsbar 07 May 2020
In reply to Si dH:

It's what my friend was told when she was extremely ill with presumably corona virus, that she wasn't ill enough to go to hospital.  She was told to ring 999 again if she deteriorated further. No test. 

Blunderbuss 08 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> From what I can make out over here people are not being taken to hospital unless they need ventilator.  

This isn't true in the Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust....cant believe it would be elsewhere either tbh. 

Stichtplate 08 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> From what I can make out over here people are not being taken to hospital unless they need ventilator.  

From this end, if a patient is struggling (mentally or physically) and a hospital admission is likely to improve the situation, there'll be a conversation about options and likely outcomes and if we agree hospital is the best option then that's where we're going. The patient is at the centre of everything we do. That isn't just a handy tagline.

In reply to marsbar:

Or unless they require additional oxygen, which doesn't necessarily mean ventilation, and applies to a far greater number, including those who would not ever be escalated to ICU or given cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...