UKC

Obama gets schooled by Dr B Carson. Amazing speech!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sircumfrins 15 Feb 2013
Has anyone else seen this speech by Dr B Carson?

If you haven't then take the time to view it. We need more people like this in the World.

youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA&

I wonder what Mr Obama was thinking towards the end of this speech. Unreal!

Luke90 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins:

Must have been such a shock for him, I don't think anyone's ever disagreed with Obama about anything before, let alone said so publicly! Astonishing!
Sircumfrins 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Luke90: Amazing isn't it? And so eloquently put.
 radson 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Luke90:

You mean aside the GOP, NRA, Tea Party, Fox News, Murdoch Press, Boehner, Palin, Gingrich, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc etc etc etc
 Banned User 77 15 Feb 2013
In reply to radson: I assumed, hoped, he was being sarcastic..

Good speech, not sure it disagreed with Obama's stance too much..

In fact echos much of what he has said recently, especially the left and right wings together..
 TobyA 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins: What's so great about it? Once he finishes telling his own story which is interesting enough, the politics is GOP speaking points. Who cares how long it takes you to count to the number of the national debt? What matters would be how quickly the number comes down if the US went back to Bush tax cut taxation levels. I've heard much better version of the lighthouse joke as well.
 MonkeyPuzzle 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins:

Sounds like a rich man arguing for a 10% tax rate to me. Must have missed the rousing bit.
Sircumfrins 15 Feb 2013
In reply to TobyA: I guess if you don't follow US politics you wouldn't think much of the speech.
 Offwidth 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins:

Thats either quite funny or you are new here.
 Mikkel 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins:
> (In reply to TobyA) I guess if you don't follow US politics you wouldn't think much of the speech.

thats quite a funny post, taken into consideration who you are writing it to..
 Tyler 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins:

Perhaps you should enlighten Toby on American politics, I'm sure there's lots you could teach him........
 Fraser 15 Feb 2013

Glad it wasn't just me then! I didn't see anything particularly "anti-Obama" in it, well, nothing like I was expecting from the OP.
 TobyA 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Tyler, Mikkel, Offwidth: Thanks chaps, very kind. Amusingly, I've just applied for a job at a research institute to cover US domestic politics and its intersection with foreign policy. Maybe I'll send the link to this thread as one of my references!

The video has obviously 'gone viral' with millions of viewers, but that's interesting as it's not that special. He isn't really rude to the president and his points didn't strike me as very different to many other mainstream Republicans either. I guess the only thing seems to be that traditionally this national prayer breakfast or whatever the event was, isn't political. The GOP is always looking for articulate black advocates though, which is why they end up with oddballs like Allen West and Herman Cain. Anyway, I think Marco Rubio is a far better speaker than this Dr Carson, and doesn't have much to worry about come the next round of GOP primaries!
 john arran 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins:

Is it just me or did anyone else also give up on this "amazing speech" after about 5 minutes because it was just incredibly dull?
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Feb 2013
In reply to john arran: 'Fraid I didn't get to 5 minutes. Impressive CV though.
 TobyA 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> Impressive CV though.

Indeed, and he says he does dozens of speeches which makes you wonder why he used such cliched anecdotes?
 Puppythedog 15 Feb 2013
In reply to Sircumfrins: I made nine seconds in, his love of jesus being of paramount importance in the introduction suggested i wouldn't admire the content.
 john arran 16 Feb 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> his love of jesus being of paramount importance in the introduction suggested i wouldn't admire the content.

Me too but I persisted, largely based on the OP's 'amazing speech' hard sell. I shouldn't have bothered.
 TobyA 16 Feb 2013
In reply to john arran:

> Me too but I persisted, largely based on the OP's 'amazing speech' hard sell.

Yeah, I'm genuinely interested to know what Mr. Sircumfrins finds so amazing about it. Of course different people find different things inspirational or interesting, and clearly in the US rightwing media circles - Fox News etc. - this speech has been heavily promoted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Carson#National_Prayer_Breakfast_speech but in the past Sircumfrins has been very active in threads where he has shown an interest in "alternative" politics shall we say: who was responsible for 9/11 or do we really know how many people died in the holocaust, which isn't at all Limbaugh or Hannity style stuff. Glenn Beck was much closer to linking those mainstream (although, really still rather extreme) American right views on economics and social issues with a conspiratorial world view. But Beck got fired by Fox for getting TOO weird, which of course is quite an achievement in itself!
 radson 16 Feb 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I work for an American multinational company and at work here we actually got Fox News. I switch it on every now and then to see what the 'other' people are thinking. Its a strange feeling watching Fox. It's a mixture of dread, fascination and smugness. The um 'chutzpah' and cognitive dissonance on display is particularly interesting.
Removed User 16 Feb 2013
In reply to john arran:
> (In reply to Sircumfrins)
>
> Is it just me or did anyone else also give up on this "amazing speech" after about 5 minutes because it was just incredibly dull?

Thanks for confirming that I was right not to give it another couple of minutes. To think I might have missed a tele-sales call for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...