UKC

/ Obama linked racism & climate change denial

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Timmd on 26 May 2018

Surprising, depressing and annoying all at the same time.  Narrow minded people who didn't like Obama, decided they didn't want to follow anything to do with the environment and climate change because it was something he was in favour of. 

https://thinkprogress.org/racial-resentment-may-be-fueling-climate-denial-study-finds-25884ab53fe1/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b095a5604d30116071a13a3&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

It's an insight into a quirk of human nature I guess, and would plausibly apply to other issues and people-groups.

Post edited at 14:56
pec on 26 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I suppose it's a bit like all those people who think that Obama walked on water because he was the first black president. Same mentality just in reverse.

For the record, I have nothing against Obama, I'd probably have voted for him myself if I were an American, I just don't think his record can justify the hype and I do believe in man made climate change.

Eric9Points - on 26 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Political scientists have demonstrated that when people give their allegiance to a political party they tend to fill in the gaps in their political beliefs by adopting those of the party of their choice.

That's why the average Republican tends to be an Evangelical Christian who is hostile to abortion, against any form of gun control and a climate change denier.

The same goes for supporters of the Democrats, Labour, Christian Democrats etc, etc..

Yanis Nayu - on 26 May 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I presume they’re linked by ignorance. 

Timmd on 27 May 2018
In reply to pec:

> I suppose it's a bit like all those people who think that Obama walked on water because he was the first black president. Same mentality just in reverse.

He had/has a charismatic way of talking, I think, which I don't think other American black politicians/mayors have, but I get what you mean about there being subjectivity at work, it seems quite a step, though, to go from disliking a person because of their skin colour, to deciding that one doesn't believe in something unrelated to race, because that person has spoken of it as being important and true. 

> For the record, I have nothing against Obama, I'd probably have voted for him myself if I were an American, I just don't think his record can justify the hype and I do believe in man made climate change.

Same here, on the whole.

Post edited at 01:57
Timmd on 27 May 2018
In reply to Eric9Points:

They have, what's interesting me is how the same quirk in thinking may apply to other areas, too, with humans being rather tribal in nature. 

captain paranoia - on 27 May 2018
In reply to pec:

> I just don't think his record can justify the hype

Record, as in what he managed to achieve? Massively hidebound by Republican majority in the Senate, thwarting him at every move.

redjerry - on 27 May 2018
In reply to pec:

"I just don't think his record can justify the hype"

Yes, absolutely ....getting healthcare to 40 million people, previously uninsured people...no big deal.... Preventing Insurance companies from dumping their customers the moment they got sick....pschaww.

What I think is that you don't know much about what he achieved. 

Post edited at 02:25
Rob Exile Ward on 27 May 2018
In reply to redjerry:

What are you talking about, he was absolutely useless. He didn't start any wars, he pushed environmental protection way up the agenda, negotiated some sort of peace with Iran, normalised relations with Cuba, and set an extraordinary example of personal responsibility and family values in the highest public office of all.

Total waste of space.

MonkeyPuzzle - on 27 May 2018
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

All mildly tarnished for me by him being a bit drone-strikey for my liking.

pec on 27 May 2018
In reply to redjerry:

I'm not suggesting he didn't achieve anything, most presidents do some good things (and some bad things), just not enough to deserve the hype and certainly not a Nobel peace prize. And set against the good things has to be his record on Syria which is just about the biggest foreign policy disaster in living memory.

Anyway, like I said, I'd have probably voted for him myself so I'm not anti Obama by any means.

Post edited at 18:12
DancingOnRock - on 27 May 2018
In reply to Eric9Points:

‘Tend to’. 

The main issue is that some political ideologies are specifically aimed at ignorant people. 

I’d like to think that, at least in the UK, there are huge numbers of intelligent voters waiting for a party to appear who will appeal to them. Although, unfortunately,  I’m beginning to think that intelligent people are in the minority. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.