UKC

Old (apocryphal?) story about Arthur's Seat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 13 Feb 2020

I recall being told or even actually reading an anecdote about, IIRC, a group of climbers from the continent being hosted by the SMC in Edinburgh and making mistaken assumptions about the seriousness of the ascent of Arthur's Seat (i.e. they thought it was a much bigger hill than it actually is).  I believe the alleged timeframe for this entertaining incident would have been the late nineteenth or very early twentieth century.

I'm struggling to find any references to it now.  Has anyone else come across this story before and could maybe point me to somewhere it is documented (SMC journal?) or at least written down as hearsay?

In reply to Martin W:

I had heard the story as well and Wiki attributes it to Emile Rey an alpine guide.

"In 1884, alpine mountain guide Emile Rey visited Edinburgh where he climbed Arthur's Seat, local tradition stating that before doing so he estimated it would take much of the day to reach the top.[16]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur%27s_Seat

bleddynmawr 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

I think that it has also been attributed to Emile Rey climbing Crib Goch and  saying that they should turn back as they would not have enough time to go on to Yr Wyddfa,(Snowdon). Something about the scale of the mountains!

OP Martin W 13 Feb 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Drat, I must have missed that when I checked Wiki earlier.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Given that the story seems to be told about at least two different hills, it does sound as if it's rather apocryphal, albeit perhaps with a germ of truth somewhere in there.

jimtitt 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

Sounds like someone failed to grasp the concept of piss-taking

raussmf 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

I've summited several times usually between the hours of 0200 - 0500. No fixed ropes or hauled provisions on all attempts.

Tigger 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Martin W:

There's a top 10 moments in climbing thread kicking around here somewhere.

FactorXXX 13 Feb 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

> I think that it has also been attributed to Emile Rey climbing Crib Goch and  saying that they should turn back as they would not have enough time to go on to Yr Wyddfa,(Snowdon). Something about the scale of the mountains!

The story I heard was that the same scenario occurred between Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay when they they were training for Everest.

OP Martin W 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thank you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...