UKC

OS maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 29 May 2021

Evening

Ive got a weeks free trial of OS maps and am struggling with the printing of 1:25 k.

On the right of the screen there is a slide with the map scales, but as soon as I pan out it reverts to 1:50 or bigger.

I just want to print a couple of A4 sized maps that link up as though they’ve been cut, in 1:25k, that are true in measurement to a rea 1:25 i.e 4 cm grid squares.

Thanks, Dave

In reply to Dave the Rave:

I'm assuming you're using OS Maps in a browser on a Windows PC?

To print you need to select the drop-down menu from top left of the screen. That lets you pick the scale of your print independently of the zoom scale on the right. Is that what you're doing?

OP Dave the Rave 29 May 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Hmmm.

Im playing with a map on the screen and using the slider in the top right of the map until I get the area that I want. It always reverts to 1:50 due to the size of the area which is probably 10x10 k.

I then press the print icon in the top right tool bar which brings up another printing screen on the left. It gives me choices of map scale and orientation. I press print and it all goes to shit

In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> I'm assuming you're using OS Maps in a browser on a Windows PC?

Yes, windows 10 

Catriona 29 May 2021

> I then press the print icon in the top right tool bar which brings up another printing screen on the left. It gives me choices of map scale and orientation. I press print and it all goes to shit

It’s the drop-down menu with the three bars, on the top left of the OS Maps site you need, not the print icon which is part of the browser. 

In reply to Catriona:

> It’s the drop-down menu with the three bars, on the top left of the OS Maps site you need, not the print icon which is part of the browser. 

Thanks I’ll try that

Wheelsy 30 May 2021

I might be misunderstanding what you're intending to do, but wouldn't it be impossible to print out a 10x10k square at 4cm per k on an A4 piece of paper which is about 20cm wide? Sorry if that's not what you're trying to do!

If the map you are printing is bigger than a4 it doesn’t automatically print it over multiple pages. As far as I know you’ll have to print each of your pages separately and select ‘print to scale’.

ianstevens 31 May 2021
In reply to Wheelsy:

Yup this. This is also why you get a different area on the print preview than the screen - because it's actually showing the map at the correct scale. On the screen, you can zoom in and out through a continuous range, and OS will show you the most appropriate map, which will not necessarily be shown at 1:1 scale. On top of that - your screen is not the same size as A4, so what you see on the screen at 1:1 will not be the same as on paper at 1:1.

(Note when I say 1:1 I'm talking about what you see vs the map image - i.e. one grid square = 4cm (1:25k))

OP Dave the Rave 04 Jun 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

Thanks everyone.

Sorry for the late response but I’ve only just had time to have a go at the maps.

The result, I’ve got some great sections of maps for this weekends trip and a laminator on its way.

Thanks again Dave

Glyno 04 Jun 2021

OS Maps has improved a lot since I didn't renew my subscription in a strop a couple of years ago.

My main gripe however, is the unnecessarily wide margins on the A4 prints. I calculated that over 25% of the paper is wasted.

In reply to Glyno:

> My main gripe however, is the unnecessarily wide margins on the A4 prints.

Yeah; utterly ridiculous. Not only is there a large white margin, there's a 'semi-transparent map' margin within that, too.

Fortunately, I have access to mapping that allows me to print to the edge, and only suffer the couple of mm printer print area margin. Printed to A3, double-sided and z-folded to A6, they make very handy maps for trips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...