UKC

Our swallows are missing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Raskye 08 May 2013
In the past 10 years, our swallows have returned to their nest in Falkland, Fife on or around the 17th April without fail until this year. They're up in Lochaber and Glen Garry, but none in the air around Falkland. Has anyone else noticed their absence?
In reply to Raskye: Down in Cheshire, they've only just shown up (here, at least). We've still got daffodils flowering but the bluebells are also out. It's all a bit bonkers this spring...

T.
 Cobbler 08 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:

Saw swallows around Balerno yesterday. Also heard (and saw!) a cuckoo!
 cander 08 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:

We saw swallows in cumbria about a month ago, but they seemed to disappear - they were back last weekend though.
OP Raskye 08 May 2013
In reply to Cobbler:
Yeah cuckoos were on Skye 2 weeks ago
In reply to Raskye: not seen any in newark on trent.
andymac 08 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:

I built a small shed for a clientlast thursday ,but did not make a door.

went to measure the door opening today ,and spotted that there had been quite a bit of nest construction inside.

am happy that the birds will have enough access when I fit the door ,as the asbestos corrugated roof sheets have quite big corrugations.

Few years ago ,putting up a house ,I regularly had to catch the swallows which had decided to nest in the house.

They would stun themselves crashing into the patio doorsets and have to be rescued.amazing colours when you have one in your hand ,their tiny hearts pounding.

Could not finish plasterboarding the ceiling until the chicks had all flown the nest.

after a couple of days of sheperding and sometimes having to catch the fledgling birds , the whole family were gone.

Off on their big adventure.

dominic lee 08 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:
Down here in Derbyshire my Swallows turned up about ten days late. Likewise the Baslow Edge Cuckoo was a bit tardy.
 coinneach 08 May 2013
In reply to dominic lee:

Likewise here in Northumberland.
In reply to Raskye:
Swallows arrived in Gairloch last week.
OP Raskye 08 May 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Yes, its strange how they're flying around the North West... yesterday was a good day to watch them... but not down south.
 Jim Braid 08 May 2013
In reply to Raskye: First ones spotted by me today between Kemnay and Blairdaff (Aberdeenshire)
 Jack_Lewin 08 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:

Was chatting to an RSPB lady today who said everything was a month ish behind, migratory birds arriving aswell as domestic birds laying eggs etc, she said it wouldn't cause any problems for them though so it's all good!
 doz 09 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:
Been in West Aberdeenshire ten days, bless the wee things....always wonder whose house they been sat outside through the winter...
 graeme jackson 09 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:
Saw a couple of swallows in the pentlands on monday. First this year.
Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:
Has anyone else noticed their absence?

They are all late this year, as we go into the next global cooling phase.

Tall Clare 09 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Haven't seen the ones that normally nest next door yet. They like to divebomb our cats, so I suspect the cats are relieved...
 Alyson 09 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: Here (Sheffield) most of the signs of spring came about 2-3 weeks later than last year, including the arrival of our migrants. But last year, if you remember, we had a heatwave in March. These differences over such a short time frame are weather events, not climate change.

Models for global warming indicated that melting Greenland ice caps may push the gulf stream south and make Britain colder in the long term, but that is not global cooling, that's Britain cooling.
Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to climber666)
These differences over such a short time frame are weather events, not climate change.
> Models for global warming indicated that melting Greenland ice caps may push the gulf stream south and make Britain colder in the long term, but that is not global cooling, that's Britain cooling.

You should trust your personal experience more - rather than what the warmist sponsors or the BBC, Met Office and the Grauniad say.
I have travelled back enough times from South America in Winter to snow in Norway in Summer to know that globally we are not getting warmer. At present the Falklands for example is coming to midwinter and it is still warmer than here in the UK.
The models are all BS. They have been rumbled by independent analysts.
 MG 09 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:

> I have travelled back enough times from South America in Winter to snow in Norway in Summer to know that globally we are not getting warmer.

Why on earth didn't scientists think of flying to South America and back repeatedly to determine whether climate change is occurring? Clearly much more reliable that doing things like taking measurements studying climate physics.
 Alyson 09 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: Thanks, but I prefer to trust scientific measurements of global temperature changes over time.

Plenty of data here: http://tinyurl.com/ysss8l
Most recent summary here: http://tinyurl.com/d7tc2ze

Despite slightly varying methodologies, the results show close agreement with records kept by other independent bodies.
 graeme jackson 09 May 2013
In reply to MG:

in general, scientists are remarkably poor (except in the movies) so they can't afford to fly back and forth to south america sufficient times to gather any reasonable statistics. that's why they have to make it all up.
OP Raskye 09 May 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:
So that's where they are!
 portlandbill 09 May 2013
In reply to Raskye: I have just had a climbing holiday in Malta and believe that many of the birds that migrate from Africa to Europe are shot by Maltese "Hunters".
OP Raskye 09 May 2013
In reply to portlandbill:

Yes, I've seen the perches & the nets they use... sad really, I'd hate to be there during the season.... if you moved into range you'd likely be a target!

I often see the swallows struggle over the Alps when I'm skiing around easter... you have to admire their tenacity getting over the high passes in poor, cold conditions.

How did you find the climbing? I was there about 20 years ago & played around on some with my young lad... plenty of potential if you don't mind rats
 portlandbill 09 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:
> (In reply to portlandbill)
>
>
>
> How did you find the climbing? I was there about 20 years ago & played around on some with my young lad... plenty of potential if you don't mind rats

Brilliant climbing,such a pity about all the shotgun cartridge cases everywhere.
Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to Jack_Lewin:
Yes but surely the weather and amount of food in their winter home is what determines when they leave. They can't know what the weather has been like in the UK over the winter.
 Alyson 09 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: All throughout March and the first week of April we had wind from the north east. It kept our temperatures low, which kept plant and insect activity behind the schedule they'd have had with a warmer spring. It also kept the migrants pinned back, probably in north Africa or southern Europe. It isn't worth their energy flying into a cold headwind to get to somewhere which will likewise be cold.

As soon as the wind changed, the plants, insects and migrant birds all responded. So they arrive just as dinner is served
Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to Alyson:
OK.
So it's wind direction then.
 MargieB 16 May 2013
In reply to Raskye: Yep, usually arrive in the Highlands here above Loch Ness by May 1 to nest. Had a breeding pair for years and years. Wonder when they'll come?
 Mike Highbury 16 May 2013
In reply to MargieB:
> (In reply to Raskye) Yep, usually arrive in the Highlands here above Loch Ness by May 1 to nest. Had a breeding pair for years and years. Wonder when they'll come?

The swifts are up around here.

I've poisoned all of the flies to deal with the menace.
 Toby S 16 May 2013
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Swifts arrived a couple of days ago in Inverness. I've got loads of swallows up at the house at the moment and they seem to be taking a close interest the space above my door frame on the patio doors. It would be great to have them nesting but it would mean I couldn't open the door for a few months as it opens outwards!
estivoautumnal 16 May 2013
In reply to Raskye:
We've had dozens in our garden in Skye for a week now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...