UKC

Out of office messages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 29 Nov 2019

Just got this in response to an email - from an account executive at a supposedly professional company!

Subject:

"Troy McClure wants to add you as a connection Re: <subject>"

Body:

"Hi, I’m Troy McClure! You may remember me from such classic Out of Office Messages as “Going to a doctor's appointment that's definitely not a job interview” or “Visiting My Family in Florida.” I’m here today to talk to you about Daniel, and the email you just sent him.

(Enter Billy, 8 years old, doe-eyed)

Billy: Mr. McClure? Why is Daniel not answering any emails right now?

Troy: The answer is simple Billy: Daniel is celebrating thanksgiving and nowhere near his work email.

Billy: When is he going to be coming back?

Troy: He will be back on Monday 2nd.

Billy: Is he going to reply to the email they just sent?

Troy: If it warrants a response, Billy. If it warrants a response…

(Exit Billy)

That’s all for now. Watch for me in the upcoming Out of Office Message <snip> on December."

Pretty sure I don't want to have any further dealings with this company, if that's the calibre of their employees.

Duncan Bourne 29 Nov 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Heck I really like that.

Nice to have a bit of creativity

OP LastBoyScout 29 Nov 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Admittedly, it did give me a laugh and, from, some sources, would have been perfect.

However, given the circumstances on this occasion, it just says "twat" and gives me no confidence my email is going to be taken seriously.

Time and a place, and all that.

Pan Ron 29 Nov 2019

You are Mr Burns.

krikoman 29 Nov 2019

Cheer up

I'd much rather have that than some stale old OOO bollocks.

Blue Straggler 29 Nov 2019

> Admittedly, it did give me a laugh and, from, some sources, would have been perfect.

> However, given the circumstances on this occasion, it just says "twat" and gives me no confidence my email is going to be taken seriously.

> Time and a place, and all that.

Agreed. In this context, it is unprofessional juvenile drivel that reminds me of Gareth and Oggie in The Office, or that Colin Hunt (?) character from The Fast Show. 

Toerag 29 Nov 2019

Do you know him? it may be that he's able to personalise his OOO. I had this one from a friend's work account recently-

mmmmm.

Thank you for your email.

Sadly, I seem to have gone away again chasing Humpback wales this time!

Regards,

....I suspect he only gets emails from people he knows and works for a small, friendly business that don't take themselves seriously as their products sell themselves.

OP LastBoyScout 29 Nov 2019
In reply to Toerag:

I've never spoken to him before - it's an international company, not some family business.

I contacted him as a follow-up to an event I went to, organised by his company - he appears to have emailed every attendee, the last line of which was "Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or suggestions", so I did.

Incidentally, I can personalise my OOO to people either internal or external to my company, so I have different ones for each of those, and set specific rules, which I don't bother with.

They probably only get 2 weeks off a year. I think you can forgive them from being pretty psyched for thanksgiving

trouserburp 29 Nov 2019

Do you not think life is a bit short to punish people for being a bit silly in the office?

FactorXXX 29 Nov 2019

I've often been tempted to have 'Gone Fisting' as an Out of Office message and pretend that it was an innocent mistake.

Bob Kemp 29 Nov 2019

I'm not too bothered about rest of the OOO, but 'reach out to me' does the damage regardless. Reach the f*** out of my life please...

Snyggapa 29 Nov 2019

I tend to be marginally more professional in OOO emails but my voicemail message generally tells people that I am OOO until 12th August or whatever date I last had a holiday worth noting and I always forget to turn it off. It starts off showing my lack of professionalism by not turning it off, then ends up showing my immaturity because I don't turn it off.

Nobody of importance uses the telephone to contact me anyhow

Donotello 29 Nov 2019

More and more as I travel around for climbing I’m hearing the same thing ‘aren’t most British climbers nerdy and really boring ‘ etc

I’m hopeful they don’t read UKC as every time I come on here there’s someone making some sort of ‘complaint about fun’ thread that’s consistently proving them right. 

Post edited at 23:24
 Blue Straggler 29 Nov 2019
In reply to Donotello:

There’s quite a difference between being “fun” and being a bell-end 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...