UKC

Outdoors Charities - getting children outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber12345 16 Oct 2019

I’m hoping someone can suggest some charities which help to get less privileged children outdoors.

Growing up I had all the opportunities I could have wanted and getting out in the lakes, doing the DoE, being introduced to climbing etc made a huge difference in my life. However I imagine many kids don’t get to experience such things due to various barriers. 

I was hoping to find a charity which provides ongoing support to get people outdoors who wouldn’t generally have these opportunities and may be stuck at home a lot. I was thinking the provision of walking boots/climbing shoes and regular instructed activities (weekly/monthly) rather than a week-long residential style session. However google doesn’t seem to be helping me much unfortunately.

I wondered whether much of this may be organised via schools instead of a specific charity, maybe?

Due to a change in circumstances I would hope to be able to provide about £500 per month in support  between 1/2 charities.

Any help would be great! 

Post edited at 12:32
 Qwerty2019 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Climber12345:

Urban Uprising?

whenry 16 Oct 2019

http://www.climbup.org.uk

Alternatively, you could support a Scouts group or school in a deprived area with the proviso that your donation goes to supporting children on Free School Meals to get outdoors.

OP Climber12345 16 Oct 2019
In reply to whenry:

> Alternatively, you could support a Scouts group or school in a deprived area with the proviso that your donation goes to supporting children on Free School Meals to get outdoors.

I’d not heard of climbup, but looks like its set up by some people I had the pleasure of climbing with in Ceuse a number of years back! I hadn’t thought about the scouts either - my old group looks to have had a big reduction in funding over the last few years so that could be worthwhile! 

gali 16 Oct 2019

Outdoor Partnership - North Wales

Venture Scotland do some great work out of Glasgow and Edinburgh. It is focussed on the 16-30 age group who are struggling. 

jamiev 16 Oct 2019

Last year, like you, I was looking around for a charity to support which gives opportunities to young people who would not otherwise have them. I decided to make a (much smaller than you're talking about!) donation to The Youth Adventure Trust. It seems to meet your criteria: http://youthadventuretrust.org.uk

bouldery bits 16 Oct 2019

The good people at Outward Bound? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...