UKC

Painting Melamine Cupboards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic Barber 10 Jan 2023

Our new bedroom has some fairly naff melamine fitted cupboards in it.

I've taken out the (poorly designed) shelfs and left the carcass, with the plan of putting in some new shelves in better, more useful positions.

For the final finish we want to paint the doors (and ideally the carcass) which appear to be melamine.

Anyone with any experience/tips on this - 2 options seem to be 'Difficult surface primer' or a Ronseal 'one coat melamine paint'

Difficult surface primer seems the best way to go so all the different woods/melamine/wall top coats will match. Primers seem t come at cheap (B&Q own), mid (Valspar) or pricier (Dulux) - any experience of using these?

cheers for any advice!

Swig 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

Reckon one-coat paint is for people who are tarting up a house to sell it quickly before the paints starts coming off. 

I've found some of the Zinsser primers to be good on other awkward surfaces (but personally never painted melamine). Maybe another option at the pricier end.

daWalt 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

In the far distant past i'v used plasti kote enamel paint direct onto melamine kitchen units. Worked well and lasted without fading, chipping or peeling off. It's expensive stuff, per volume / coverage. 

I suspect that the one coat melam paint is very similar in makeup.

Ciro 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

We did our kitchen doors last year - took the melamine coating off (it came away quite easily), gave the MDF a light sand to remove any imperfections, painted with standard acrylic primer and topcoat - bit of work but cheap and really happy with the results, looks like a brand new kitchen.

Chipboard carcasses I left alone.

In reply to Nic Barber:

I've done similar using Little Green oil based flat/eggshell. One litre goes a long way! Rub down the surfaces with fine grade sandpaper and clean with degreasing wipes. No need for undercoat. Apply two coats.

PaulJepson 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Swig:

Zinsser sticks to owt and owt sticks to Zinsser. 

Give it a key with some 120 grit sandpaper and prime with Zinsser BIN. 

Tringa 10 Jan 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

Another vote for Zinsser products - https://www.zinsseruk.com/product/

Dave

Fraser 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

I'd avoid Valspar at all costs, there was an  issue fairly recently with some of their paints smelling of cat pee!

You can use Frenchic paint on melamine but personally .... I'd probably go with Zinsser.

https://frenchicpaint.co.uk/

Post edited at 19:56
OP Nic Barber 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

Cheers for all the tips - big tin of Zinsser B.I.N purchased - anything left can be used to patch up the hack job the previous owners did painting the brown PVC window frames a pretty patchy white!

aln 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

Sticky back plastic

Andy Hardy 11 Jan 2023
In reply to aln:

> Sticky back plastic

Don't you have to use that stuff earlier?

LastBoyScout 11 Jan 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

Having used it once, I wouldn't touch Valspar ever again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...