UKC

Pangolin in the room

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alan.rodger 10 May 2020

Glaring omission from the glove puppet's address tonight i.e. no commitment to concerted international action demanding China closes the sources of its murderous viruses. How 'alert' do you have to 'stay' to see the desparate long term need for this. Their ambassador has already admitted, under pressure, the virus came precisely from the Wuhan wet market. How much must the planet suffer before we wake up to this and demand immediate action in the name of humanity.

lorentz 10 May 2020
In reply to alan.rodger:

The cynic in me thinks it's because it will likely be Chinese economic growth & finance paying a path out of the massive surging economic downturn of a pandemic followed sharply in our case by a no-deal Brexit. To misquote Marie-Antoinette... "Let them eat bats."

I agree though. Totally effed up situation. China has been urged to do something about their wet markets since the original SARS outbreak in the early 2000s. It's not just China though to be fair. Vietnam, parts of Africa and quite a few other nations have a cultural attachment to capturing, keeping, selling butchering & eating wild animals. The risks were known about. 

The unthinkable has happened now. The genie is proving very hard to put back in the bottle. It will take a global strategic response to ensure it doesn't happen again, when (if) the dust settles.

mik82 10 May 2020
In reply to alan.rodger:

This is not just China, as lorentz says. Anywhere that live animals are kept in close proximity to people is a problem.  The last pandemic, H1N1 swine flu, probably originated in pig farms in North America.  Of recent outbreaks MERS came from the Middle East and Ebola Sub-Saharan Africa.

JLS 10 May 2020
In reply to alan.rodger:

I piss on your pangolin...

youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZK_NjBoJI&

lorentz 11 May 2020
In reply to JLS:

That is the best thing I've seen online in ages! Cheers... 😁

cb294 11 May 2020
In reply to JLS:

Your majesty is also like a stream of bat's piss....

Now we know.

CB

Lankyman 11 May 2020
In reply to JLS:

I'd love to see it try that when it's had a few.

Lankyman 11 May 2020
In reply to lorentz:

Yeah, and they still haven't paid up for the Black Death! Those dastardly Orientals have been shafting us for centuries. And after all that opium we let them buy as well. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take any more!

Removed User 11 May 2020
In reply to JLS:

That had never occurred to me but useful to know I suppose.

DaveHK 11 May 2020
In reply to alan.rodger:

This wasn't a glaring omission at all, it wasn't even an omission. Boris's address was about relaxing lockdown measures. It had nothing to do with action against China and introducing that would have further confused and diluted an already confusing message.

That kind of action might be important in the long term but it would have been totally irrelevant to last nights address.

Ciro 11 May 2020
In reply to alan.rodger:

On the other hand, it is we in the west who have been at the forefront of relentlessly pursuing the globalisation strategy that has made these viruses so dangerous to mankind. 

Why should the global response be centred on changing developing countries behaviour over changing ours?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...