UKC

Parking in manc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 squarepeg 24 Mar 2021

Monday 12 april I have a 1pm appointment in Manchester, usually go by train but thinking of driving. If I do, will be coming in from North side (M62) or East side A57.

Anybody know anywhere to safely park, pref without having to drive right in to some multi storey. Anywhere near will do, dont mind a walk. Doesnt have to be free. Couple of hours or so parking. Ta.

mrphilipoldham 24 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

You can usually park up on the streets behind Piccadilly Station with ease. Completely free and about 10 mins walk to Piccadilly Gardens. 20 if you get propositioned by a lady of the night. Travis Street and St Andrew’s Street area. Bit of a trek from there if you’re going down by the river anywhere though. 

Post edited at 20:31
 wert 24 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

MCC will reopen (hopefully) on that day. Park there for free, walk in, walk out (or bus it, there’s a stop outside). Then climb or boulder to give them a contribution for the parking. (Or climb first, they open at 10am.)

Enty 25 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Coming in from the north, down past Strangeways and you've got the big car park on the old Boddingtons site on your left.

E

GEd_83 25 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

I normally used the carpark on Travis Street behind Piccadilly Station (right next to the Network Rail Square One building), £3 for the day.

deepsoup 25 Mar 2021
In reply to Enty:

Is the car park on the site of the old Boddies brewery still there? 

I used it regularly until I abruptly stopped working in Manchester a year ago, and at that point it was on the brink of being redeveloped and had already started turning into a building site instead of a car park.  If you're up to date, I'm a little bit surprised to hear it still exists.

mike123 25 Mar 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> 10 mins walk to Piccadilly Gardens. 20 if you get propositioned by a lady of the night

Just wondering what you find to do with the other 7 minutes ?

edit : forgot to reply to the OP ! I used to know a few spots that were free when I need to visit ManC , I’m now that much of a city phobe I always park in one of those huge car parks that are a short walk to the city centre and make sure I put the car underneath a camera . Worth  the piece of mind for a couple of quid .

Post edited at 14:10
 neilh 25 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Car park behind Kendal’s.......

The New NickB 25 Mar 2021
In reply to neilh:

> Car park behind Kendal’s.......

The OP is coming in to the city from the east, behind Kendals is basically Salford, whilst close to the city centre, it is very much west of the centre.

mrphilipoldham 25 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Haggle!

mike123 25 Mar 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham: I was going to say that   But how long does :  50 ?   No way I ll give you  20 . No way . 30 ?  Ok . Take ?

edit : wonder who it is who doesn’t like haggling punters ?

Post edited at 22:03
 The New NickB 26 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

If I drive in, I come in along Rochdale Road (A664) and either park in the big surface car park just past Livesey Street; or go down Great Ancoats and use the surface car park on Dale Street via Ducie Street.

Both are obviously easily accessible from Oldham Road (A62) as well.

Post edited at 07:29
 maybe_si 26 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

I always just park in the Arndale as its easy, safe, and central.  If you park before 0900 then you get the early bird rate which is good value, otherwise its quite expensive but if its only a one off trip then thats no major issue.

J1234 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Enty:

> Coming in from the north, down past Strangeways and you've got the big car park on the old Boddingtons site on your left.

> E

This would be my suggestion or sometimes you can park for free opposite down the side streets. Alternatively park near a metro station and get the tram.
Parking at MCC all day then going bouldering, as a person has suggested, is a shit trick and is why companies like Parking Eye even exist.

Post edited at 08:26
OP squarepeg 27 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Ta for the help, I have a battered A to Z of Manc and have scribbled some suggestions down.

ALF_BELF 27 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

Some cheap parking near some apartments called the Tobacco Factory. Think it's about £5 and a 3 minute walk to the Arndale centre from there.

ByEek 27 Mar 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

https://goo.gl/maps/kcKgxAFn28fKq2dx9

This is my city centre parking spot of choice. Free. No issues. Lots of options a bit further out if this particular street is full.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...