UKC

Patel's Policing Bill 'shelved'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm hearing news on Twitter that Patel's Policing Bill has been 'shelved' for the time being. Can't see any mention of it on e.g. the BBC News website (surprise, surprise!)

... which implies that analysts reckoned that it might get defeated at the Third Reading? Or be so mauled by the Lords as to be unworkable ? ? ? Anyone know?

Post edited at 21:51
 MG 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I'm hearing news on Twitter that Patel's Policing Bill has been 'shelved' for the time being. Can't see any mention of it on e.g. the BBC News website (surprise, surprise!)

Perhaps because it's not true, or not the full story?

Post edited at 21:50
 ian caton 18 Mar 2021

Seems it has come from Labour mp Peter Kyle. 

In reply to ian caton:

So what does that mean? Is it bollocks?

climbingpixie 18 Mar 2021

> ... which implies that analysts reckoned that it might get defeated at the Third Reading? Or be so mauled by the Lords as to be unworkable ? ? ? Anyone know?

My guess is it's proven to be somewhat more controversial than they expected so they're brushing it under the carpet until after the local/mayoral elections in May, lest it scare off any of the more socially liberal or libertarian Tories who might be put off voting for them. They don't need to worry about the authoritarian right as they've got that demographic sewn up already. I suspect it will reappear late May/early June when they don't have to worry about even a small amount of accountability.

Removed User 18 Mar 2021

Yes probably.

My MP said that tonight. Its next reading is being put back to October and in reality may well be quietly torn up.

The government realise how utterly tone deaf the bill would be now. It seems the death of that poor young woman may well have changed things for the better. See Keir Starmer at PMQs on Wednesday.

In reply to climbingpixie:

I find the silence about this latest twist a bit disturbing. To put it mildly. Everyone is being silenced now. News that the Govt doesn't like, likely to be censored. Little old me thought this sounded like quite a major news item. But instead, a curtain of silence falls. People don't even want to think about it, let alone talk about it.

In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for your reply. 

mark s 18 Mar 2021

One of the resident tories clicking the thumbs down again.

MonkeyPuzzle 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> Yes probably.

> My MP said that tonight. Its next reading is being put back to October and in reality may well be quietly torn up.

> The government realise how utterly tone deaf the bill would be now. It seems the death of that poor young woman may well have changed things for the better. See Keir Starmer at PMQs on Wednesday.

The bill, like much of what this government does, is more a culture war trolling exercise than anything close to good legislation. The blowback from the Sarah Everard case may have made their own provocation too hot to handle.

I'll be relieved when I see it's definitely shelved though and not before. It's the hope that kills you.

nastyned 19 Mar 2021

Totally agree. Very strange and more than a little suspicious how quiet the news is about this. 

Babika 19 Mar 2021

Thanks. Not on Twitter so missed this. 

Maybe open the fizz - seems worth celebrating if its gone into the long grass. 

In reply to ian caton:

If this is true its probably too much to expect of our propaganda media that they would report it. Hard to find anything about this anywhere.

> Seems it has come from Labour mp Peter Kyle. 

Yes, he would seem to be a fairly reliable source and also Zarah Sultana MP saying it as well.

https://www.peterkyle.co.uk/blog/2021/03/17/the-police-crime-sentencing-and...

https://mobile.twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1372677992699334661

If the press won't do its job and the government won't release a statement then the next we'll know about this is on 24th June when the bill is meant to come out of committee.

https://commonsbusiness.parliament.uk/document/46194/html#_idTextAnchor004

Post edited at 10:28
 GrahamD 20 Mar 2021
In reply to cumbria mammoth:

> If the press won't do its job and the government won't release a statement then the next we'll know about this is....

You could add if Her Majestys opposition was also doing its job.

SDM 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> You could add if Her Majestys opposition was also doing its job.

Weren't the first two links examples of the opposition doing just that?

MonkeyPuzzle 20 Mar 2021
In reply to SDM:

Wait, you read the links? UKC really is wild sometimes.

Trevers 20 Mar 2021

> I'm hearing news on Twitter that Patel's Policing Bill has been 'shelved' for the time being. Can't see any mention of it on e.g. the BBC News website (surprise, surprise!)

> ... which implies that analysts reckoned that it might get defeated at the Third Reading? Or be so mauled by the Lords as to be unworkable ? ? ? Anyone know?

Perhaps it was a deliberate attempt at overreach to see how far they could push the envelope, and to normalise the authoritarian tactics so that when it gets redrafted and slightly watered down, it slips under the radar?

Give these bastards another 10 years and I'm sure blaspheming against Churchill will become punishable by hanging.

birdie num num 20 Mar 2021
In reply to cumbria mammoth:

Is Zarah Sultana the shadow minister for current affairs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...