UKC

Paying for Calls of Nature

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
Just behind Joe Brown's shop in Capel Curig there has, for many years been a public loo. Recently the local authority have had it tarted up with the downside being that you now have to pay 20p just to get in, regardless of whether it's a number one or number two. Not only that but there is some sort of timing mechanism that limits you to 15 minutes.

I've noticed that a lot of public loos are now "pay as you go" - the one in Betws y Coed opposite the station has an attendant(female) on guard to make sure you put your 20p in a box before you go in.

I know that such facilities have to be paid for somehow but, since we are talking about something that is a basic bodily function that ultimately cannot be avoided, shouldn't such costs be met out of things like council taxes?

What are you supposed to do if you are desparate and have no money? Perhaps before long they'll make you pay by plastic.
Removed User 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Not far down the road from that loo there is an old fashioned phone box. Hint.
OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Usermypyrex)
>
> Not far down the road from that loo there is an old fashioned phone box. Hint.

Whereabouts? Can't say I've noticed it.

hokkyokusei 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> ... Not only that but there is some sort of timing mechanism that limits you to 15 minutes.

I'm intrigued. What happens next? Are you ejected, or is it some kind of lock-in?
 Timmd 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:I agree completely.
Removed User 16 Feb 2013

Should have said, for No1's only. Coz there is no paper in there, well there hasn't been since BT stopped leaving telephone directories in there.
OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> I'm intrigued. What happens next? Are you ejected, or is it some kind of lock-in?

Don't know; I've not had to stay there long enough to find out(Thank God) but when you gain entry you press a button to lock the door and the countdown start on a little LCD screen. Very High Tech for something so basic.

Timmd 16 Feb 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> I'm intrigued. What happens next? Are you ejected, or is it some kind of lock-in?

Or does the door slide open to let the world see you with you trousers or skirt or shorts still around your ankles?

You could have some mean fun if you ran a local cafe by feeding people things to make them have to stay for ages, and set up a camera outside, and a flash-mob. ()
OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> Should have said, for No1's only. Coz there is no paper in there, well there hasn't been since BT stopped leaving telephone directories in there.

:0(

OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to hokkyokusei)
> [...]
>
> Or does the door slide open to let the world see you with you trousers or skirt or shorts still around your ankles?
>
> You could have some mean fun if you ran a local cafe by feeding people things to make them have to stay for ages, and set up a camera outside, and a flash-mob. ()

Well there is the Pinnacle Cafe nearby and they specifically say they don't have customer toilets.

loopyone 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: I would make a point of pi**ing against the door.
 Dax H 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: I have been in Scarborough today and it costs 40p for an adult or 10p for a child. £1.50 gets you an all day family pass.
OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Dax H:
> (In reply to mypyrex) I have been in Scarborough today and it costs 40p for an adult or 10p for a child. £1.50 gets you an all day family pass.

Until I saw your name I thought Num Num had posted that

Removed User 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Dax H:
> (In reply to mypyrex) I have been in Scarborough today and it costs 40p for an adult or 10p for a child. £1.50 gets you an all day family piss.

I've corrected that for you.

Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Meanwhile in a parallel universe, another mypyrex is moaning about vandalism in the public loo behind Joe Brown's shop in Capel Curig, and pushing for a mandatory small charge to be made for entry, in order to deter scumbag vandals and hopefully keep the toilet in good nick for the civilised members of society, since we are talking about something that is only 20p and would end up costing more to the user, indirectly, through increases in council tax to cover maintenance of public toilet facilities after vandalism.

Incidentally, if desperate and without money, you can use your high altitude trekking experience to find a way through the turnstile.
 KellyKettle 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: In principle I don't object, so long as they actually maintain them properly... However, given that I don't carry change with me usually its a PITA.

I tend to just find a pub, use their loo and if they object have a quick half... it's a win-win scenario!
 Timmd 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Meanwhile in a parallel universe, another mypyrex is moaning about vandalism in the public loo behind Joe Brown's shop in Capel Curig, and pushing for a mandatory small charge to be made for entry, in order to deter scumbag vandals and hopefully keep the toilet in good nick for the civilised members of society, since we are talking about something that is only 20p and would end up costing more to the user, indirectly, through increases in council tax to cover maintenance of public toilet facilities after vandalism.
>
> Incidentally, if desperate and without money, you can use your high altitude trekking experience to find a way through the turnstile.

What's your point caller? Bit surprised to be honest.
 itsThere 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: How did you find out that you have a 15min time, did you have to put another 20p in mid dump.
OP mypyrex 16 Feb 2013
In reply to itsThere:
> (In reply to mypyrex) How did you find out that you have a 15min time, did you have to put another 20p in mid dump.
No, a recorded voice tell you when you press the button to lock the door.
 itsThere 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: The only vandalism that will happen here is the english parts of a sign being removed or spray painted over.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: Takes the piss, doesn't it?
 itsThere 16 Feb 2013
In reply to itsThere: I should add that ive not seen that for a few years. Its not like its Bethesda with the buzzer outside the spar and alcohol only sold to over 21. But its still a nice place.
 Banned User 77 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Do you take pleasure in bullying/cyber stalking..

You've done a number of responses like this to mypyrex.. quite pathetic.
estivoautumnal 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Why should it be free? You pay for the food that goes in so why not pay for the receptacle that collects the waste.

20p is good value.
estivoautumnal 17 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Do you take pleasure in bullying/cyber stalking..
>

Get a grip!
 Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I've also defended mypyrex quite strongly on a number of occasions. Funny how you never comment on that. And in this case I am not even being to mean to him! I'm just proposing a different point of view which is no more or less valid, and framing it in a "story" context.

"Cyber stalking". Good grief man.
 Deviant 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Come on, man ! When you have to go, you have to go ! I can't remember all the weird places where I have taken an 'improvised dump' over the years !
I always do the maximum to make my 'passage' discreet ! As for a quick pi$$, well, I can't see the problem in finding a quiet spot to do so !
 Al Evans 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: I think the closing down of public lavortaries is just a sympton of the general reduction in the provision of public services and their regulation.That includes parks, recreation grounds etc, the government and local authorities would say that the amount of vandalism, cottaging, etc makes it no longer a viable proposition. BUT maybe the answer is not to take funding out but to put funding in. Controversial I know, but maybe we should be taxing or rating people more to acheive a fairer and safer society.
andrew breckill 17 Feb 2013
 Timmd 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> Controversial I know, but maybe we should be taxing or rating people more to acheive a fairer and safer society.

It does sometimes seem to me that people want the best of both worlds, to have a great country to live in and to pay as little tax as possible. In Denmark the PM had to actually tell people they were wrong to want to pay more tax, which they were calling for, because of what it'd do to thier economy. I can't imagine that happening over here.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: Pensioners should be able to buy a money saving season ticket cause they have to go more
In reply to blanchie14c:

Dunno if you are taking the piss (pun intended) but that's not actually a terrible suggestion.

Or free for pensioners like a bus pass?

And for the medically incontinent
 dek 17 Feb 2013
I might be wrong... But in Scotland there's a ' Law' that public houses, restaurants can't refuse you if you're needing to use the loo, and not a customer?
 Al Evans 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Thats an appalling concept, a tax on getting old, Jesus Christ you'll be advocating Logans Run next.
 mrchewy 17 Feb 2013
In reply to dek: I thought that was only for pregnant women?
In reply to Al Evans:

Do you disagree with pensions and bus passes?
In reply to Al Evans:

Sorry I hadn't thought through what blanchie had written! I meant for it to be free to pee
 dek 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mrchewy:
Ahh... Might be, I'm not sure, just thinking what a pensioner with prostate problems mentioned a while ago.
 Timmd 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mrchewy:I thought it was that pregnant women could still pee in a police person's helmet if they really needed to go? Legally speaking that is.
 Carolyn 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I think the closing down of public lavortaries is just a sympton of the general reduction in the provision of public services and their regulation.

Coupled to the fact that rural local authorities have lost out particularly badly in the recent change to the funding formula for local councils.

Which is fairer - to charge the residents of North Wales (or Cumbria - I've seen the same in Ambleside ) for nice toilets in what's basically a car park for tourists, or to charge those who want to use them?
In reply to Carolyn:

That's a very good point.
In reply to estivoautumnal: Look at his last post to mypyrex.. why post on someones thread just to insult.. bullying.. nothing more nothing less.. just saying what it is.
In reply to Blue Straggler: "What's your point caller? Bit surprised to be honest. "

Timmd also was surprised.. and Tim must be one of the most well mannered, polite fair guys on the forum.. sorry but your reply to his one liner thread was similarly rude and blunt in my opinion.. I nearly commented then..

Mypyrex comes across as a nice guy so I don't see the need for the bluntness.. I'm fair game..
In reply to Carolyn:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> Coupled to the fact that rural local authorities have lost out particularly badly in the recent change to the funding formula for local councils.
>
> Which is fairer - to charge the residents of North Wales (or Cumbria - I've seen the same in Ambleside ) for nice toilets in what's basically a car park for tourists, or to charge those who want to use them?

People will just piss in the bushes..

I'd rather pay more council tax and not have piss-stinking car parks..

I understand why they have done it.. and its nothing new.. but in rural areas people will just go elsewhere..
redsonja 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: in windermere, they closed the public toilets for a while, due to council cuts. what happened was that people just pee'd outside them and they stank! now they are open again but cost 20p. i totally agree with what you say. if they need to save money there are better things to get rid of then public toilets- such as police officers. the ones round here are hopeless. i would rather have a public toilet!
 Carolyn 17 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Probably more true in Capel - the Ambleside one is more urban, and more tourists than climbers!

At least the toilets are more straightforward to use than the South Lakeland parking ticket machines. They're really something....
 tlm 17 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal) Look at his last post to mypyrex.. why post on someones thread just to insult.. bullying.. nothing more nothing less.. just saying what it is.

Blimy! You would think that me and my friends were all bullys to one another! I remember the day when the greatest compliment that you could pay to another climber was to consider them a good enough friend to insult them unsparingly!

tlm 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Maybe they have had people taking and dealing drugs in there, and this is one way to make sure that it doesn't happen and the loos feel safe and nice to use for people who need a wee?
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal) Look at his last post to mypyrex..

Which is my last post to mypyrex? The one with the Tena For Men link? Do you think that's "bullying"?

In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Maybe they have had people taking and dealing drugs in there, and this is one way to make sure that it doesn't happen and the loos feel safe and nice to use for people who need a wee?

Careful. That's bullying, that is.

redsonja 17 Feb 2013
In reply to tlm: i have quite a few friends from slovakia and poland and their greatest show of friendship is to call someone a mother f****r!! the more they ike someone, the more they insult them. sadly, british society now sues anyone who calls them names
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> Blimy! You would think that me and my friends were all bullys to one another! I remember the day when the greatest compliment that you could pay to another climber was to consider them a good enough friend to insult them unsparingly!

I think its different.. I'm similar.. but mypyrex gets fa more stick than he deserves and as said Timmd was similarly surprised..

No blue.. it was on the one liner needed thread..

To link blue and mypyrex as close friends is a tad strange..

Back on thread..
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to tlm) i have quite a few friends from slovakia and poland and their greatest show of friendship is to call someone a mother f****r!! the more they ike someone, the more they insult them. sadly, british society now sues anyone who calls them names

Don't be a prick..

Of course it doesn't.. and how can you make huge generalisations about British society..

I personally think there is a difference between going on a thread and typing..

'get over it' or his latest one.. and jokingly insulting friends..

Obviously I've caused huge upset by calling blue a bully so I can only apologise to the poor guy.. I do find the uproar quite ironic..
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Maybe they have had people taking and dealing drugs in there, and this is one way to make sure that it doesn't happen and the loos feel safe and nice to use for people who need a wee?

If they are dealing drugs they can afford the 20p.. its also Capel.. hardly a shortage of places for quiet dealings.. likewise going for a piss.. I'd jump the wall and piss against the wall.. but for calls of nature I'd rarely go to a toilet..

Its just typical of the local council.. they want tourism.. well they want to make money from tourism, a very take take attitude and very averse to providing facilities for the outsiders..

To me its a very similar situation to the buses. Each distinct area, each service, is designed to pay for itself.. not seen as contributing to a greater whole which brings in more money..
In reply to IainRUK:
>
>
> No blue.. it was on the one liner needed thread..

Well mypyrex didn't seem to be bothered by my first reply on there - all he did was clarify the situation with his BIL. And my (to date) last reply on there is simply a roundabout way of pointing out that we are only getting one side of the story. I hardly class that as "bullying".
Anyway I thought you were on a mission to ignore all my posts.

In reply to IainRUK:
>
>
> I do find the uproar quite ironic..

Where's the uproar? Where's the irony?

(where's the dictionary? )

In reply to Blue Straggler: I'm trying..
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I'm trying..

Like a judge?

These are trying times indeed.
Sarah G 17 Feb 2013
The one in Nenthead is free. And always has paper in it. And is clean.

It is run by the local community.

Sx
 Bimble 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

I was in Betws earlier today, and I wish I'd seen this so I could have forced myself to need a dump then curled one out at the feet of the toilet guard in faux outrage.

paul-1970 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
A serious question, and this is perhaps the place to ask it.

What is it about public gents toilets that encourage some users to scribe graffitti of the "I think I'll draw a cartoon penis and balls" variety? And of course, if drawn in classic fashion, the cock and balls will usually have the comedy jizzum ejaculating.

Who on earth enters such premises, does what they've entered to do. And then decides to draw a comedy cock on the wall?
OP mypyrex 17 Feb 2013
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> A serious question, and this is perhaps the place to ask it.
>
> What is it about public gents toilets that encourage some users to scribe graffitti of the "I think I'll draw a cartoon penis and balls" variety? And of course, if drawn in classic fashion, the cock and balls will usually have the comedy jizzum ejaculating.
>
> Who on earth enters such premises, does what they've entered to do. And then decides to draw a comedy cock on the wall?

Perhaps a representation of the sort of willy they would like to think they have.

Castleman 17 Feb 2013
In reply to paul-1970:

I think it's copycat behaviour - seen it before so people then scribe it elsewhere.
 itsThere 17 Feb 2013
How much is it for the loo on top of snowdon and at the penny pass car park.

Please dont walk down the old road to go to the loo, it will only be a matter of time untill the hillside/path is a mess given the number of people that pass though. This is the same as other places, Idwall car park and so on.
 pec 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

> Which is fairer - to charge the residents of North Wales (or Cumbria - I've seen the same in Ambleside ) for nice toilets in what's basically a car park for tourists, or to charge those who want to use them? >

But the residents of these areas benefit enormously, whether directly or indirectly, from the tourists. Providing a very basic facility for an unavoidable human requirement doesn't seem to much to ask.

mike123 17 Feb 2013

> But the residents of these areas benefit enormously, whether directly or indirectly, from the tourists. Providing a very basic facility for an unavoidable human requirement doesn't seem to much to ask.

agree entirely. yet another example of the great british bad attitude. come and spend your money but f%@k off quickly please. the ones in keswick off the main car park are awful and often shut. since my children often use the facilities in booths i make a point of using the cafe there to the exclusion of anywhere else. the staff are also generally tolerant of my tribe of hooligans, something that cant be said for almost anywhere else in town. would it be so hard to have nice clean, free bogs and cheap ish parking in towns whose life blood is visitors ?
 Neil Williams 17 Feb 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Free last time I checked.

Neil
 Neil Williams 17 Feb 2013
In reply to mike123:

Really? In Germany it's usual to pay for public toilets. Possibly as a result, provision is rather better.

Neil
mgco3 20 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex: MacDonalds and Burger King (evrywhere) both have public loos, no charge. If anyone asks just say that you always wash your hands before you eat. And if asked why you are leaving without ordering any food either just say you are using the drive through or that the disgusting state of their toilets have put you off eating!!
 Queenie 20 Feb 2013
In reply to mgco3:

Agreed. The only time I set foot in MacD's establishments is to relieve myself. No-one ever notices/cares.
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Queenie: It's called a 'MacSHit', I believe. And if you are challenged by staff, and say you're going to order food (but don't), it's called a 'MacShit With Lies.'
andic 21 Feb 2013
In reply to mypyrex:

Has the blue porta-bog gone now? I dropped a link or three in that last time I was in the area, (I blame the pinacle cafe coffee).
OP mypyrex 21 Feb 2013
In reply to andic:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Has the blue porta-bog gone now?
Long gonr.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...