UKC

PC Loses Date/Time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Raymondo 20 Jun 2019

Hi All,

PC woes, in that when the PC is unplugged (eg overnight) it loses the date and time, and needs to be input on a DOS like screen at start up. When the PC is left plugged in it is all ok, and does not lose the date/time at all.

The PC is old, any ideas what the problem is.

Is it an easy fix ?

Thanks All.

mrphilipoldham 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Raymondo:

There's usually a little battery on the motherboard, it's probably dead. Easy to spot/replace, usually one of those CR something types..

David Riley 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Raymondo:

Yes, it's easy.

Open the case and change the coin cell battery CR2032  on the main board.  It just clips into a socket. 

OP Raymondo 20 Jun 2019

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So, if i leave the PC unpugged for an extended period, say 1 month, without replacing said battery, would there be a risk of data loss at all ?

(I do regular back ups, but prefer the live data to be on the PC.)

Reach>Talent 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Raymondo:

It won't be a risk to your data, just an annoyance. 

OP Raymondo 20 Jun 2019

Thank goodness, I'll do a full backup prior to leaving unplugged for a long period of course.

Thanks All 

krikoman 21 Jun 2019
In reply to Raymondo:

> Thank goodness, I'll do a full backup prior to leaving unplugged for a long period of course.

> Thanks All 

There should be no problems as long as you remember to reset the date and time each time you switch it on, if you don't then any files created will have a date something like 01/01/1980, which, depending upon your backup software / system might cause some issues.

It's usually really easy to replace the battery though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...