UKC

Pensions/savings reprise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 04 Jun 2019

The original thread is archived:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/pensions__savings-704579?v=1#x8...

However, it deserves this link, as a salutory tale of the fallibility of active funds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48506032

Removed User 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Also worth noting that Lendy, a peer to peer lending company went bankrupt last week. P2P is not covrered by the FSA compensation scheme so lenders will only get a fraction of their money back possibly over a long period of time.

Be careful out there.

neilh 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I am amazed that it has taken so long for this to happen with Woodford. The finance world is littered with so called stars like this who moved to set up  a new operation only for it to all go pearshaped.

As they say past performance is not a guide....

Amazed that somebody like a county council has so much money there, mind you its probably a tiny % of their overall funds.

I am sure that ST articles on him , questioning his investments, have not helped.

BnB 04 Jun 2019
In reply to neilh:

> I am amazed that it has taken so long for this to happen with Woodford. The finance world is littered with so called stars like this who moved to set up  a new operation only for it to all go pearshaped.

> As they say past performance is not a guide....

You can match the average fund manager most of the time (just buy the index ETFs) but, by going out on a limb like Woodford has, combining UK deep-value (tobacco, property) with illiquid unlisted punts (bioscience), you may score big sometimes but you are also sure to underperform dramatically from time to time.

> Amazed that somebody like a county council has so much money there, mind you its probably a tiny % of their overall funds.

It's 4% of the whole KCC pension pot, so not huge.

> I am sure that ST articles on him , questioning his investments, have not helped.

Build 'em up and knock 'em down.

summo 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Shows that perhaps when he had a management chain above him that his riskier punts were probably being limited to a much smaller percentage of the pot. He has too many eggs in the same sectors. He comes across as more of a gambler than investor. 

Shani 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Regression to the mean. Get yourself a cat! 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jan/13/investments-stock-picking

RomTheBear 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I think it illustrate the points I’ve made in the previous thread. Yes the stock market is lucrative and safe if you can play as long as you want, but the problem is that your investment horizon is rarely known in advance. You may be forced to exit at exactly the wrong time and then you’ll be shafted.

RomTheBear 04 Jun 2019
In reply to summo:

> Shows that perhaps when he had a management chain above him that his riskier punts were probably being limited to a much smaller percentage of the pot. He has too many eggs in the same sectors. He comes across as more of a gambler than investor. 

Gamblers are a lot better than fund managers because

1) They play with their own money, not that of others

2) The risk they take can be measured and can be limited to them.

Post edited at 20:05
 Dr.S at work 05 Jun 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

I was about to say “but what about addiction”, but thinking about it for a moment I guess there are quite a few fund managing addicts - just, as you say, playing with others money?

summo 05 Jun 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Gamblers are a lot better than fund managers because

> 1) They play with their own money, not that of others

> 2) The risk they take can be measured and can be limited to them.

Depends. If you trade you need to know your traits. Over cautious, eterrnal optimist etc.. gamblers always think the next bet will bail them out, most traders don't..  Although I'll agree folk like  Nick leeson do show similar traits. 

There is nothing wrong with investing in higher risk markets, AIM etc.. But your clients need to know this so they don't commit 100% of their money, especially a public sector pension fund from a council that also lost loads in Iceland. I'd question their ability too. 

Woodford might not be fully promoting the risks he is running, but the council's and the likes of hargreaves Lansdowne aren't doing sufficient due diligence. 

summo 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I was about to say “but what about addiction”, but thinking about it for a moment I guess there are quite a few fund managing addicts - just, as you say, playing with others money?

Perhaps.. But most will take a high risk punt with say 0.1%(often less) of a fund. This guy is pushing well into whole numbers. When the boss, the trader and the management chain are the same person there are no checks and balances. 

RomTheBear 05 Jun 2019
In reply to summo:

> Depends. If you trade you need to know your traits. Over cautious, eterrnal optimist etc.. gamblers always think the next bet will bail them out, most traders don't..  Although I'll agree folk like  Nick leeson do show similar traits. 

There is only one rule that matters in trading, it is that whatever strategy you have, whatever you do, whatever happens, you must have enough to still be in the game the next day. If you don’t follow this rule, then over a long enough period time, you will be taken out. It’s a mathematical certainty.

> There is nothing wrong with investing in higher risk markets, AIM etc..

Absolutely right, in fact taking more risk is often the only way to get high returns, you can take high risks, but that is as long as they cannot blow you up.

In fact it’s much better to take high risk that can harm you but not kill you, than to take low or medium risk that can kill you. 

It all goes back to my point, the absolute pre-condition to success in investing is survival.

Post edited at 09:19
 birdie num num 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Get in on the Nesquik bubble. Sales have gone through the roof recently 

Shani 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

> However, it deserves this link, as a salutory tale of the fallibility of active funds:

The Woodford saga is an interesting counterpoint to Crypto-currency sceptics: 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/bitcoin_again-673611?v=1#x86730...

Post edited at 19:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...