UKC

/ Peter Rabbit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kimono - on 13 Feb 2018

re the allergy bunfight:

a) what on earth were they thinking?

b) a great example of just how het up people can get over very little

c) i think I may have an allergy to James Corden

JoshOvki on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Kimono:

> b) a great example of just how het up people can get over very little

As someone that is allergic to certain foods I can see why people are getting het up! As a kid I had strawberries thrown at me when other kids found out, and knowing that it can kill you is very traumatic. Children are not the best at considering the consequences of their actions, putting it into a film is probably not the best of ideas. Although they could have killed the character to show that EpiPens are not guaranteed to stop you from dying, which would have sent the message home.

EddInaBox on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Kimono:

Gordon the Gopher

re the intolerance to dairy products custard pie fight:

a) no neurological activity detected.

b) Brexit.

c) Nigel Farage brings me out in hives.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Jimbocz - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

I'll back you up, not long ago somebody did die from having cheese thrown at him :

Boy dies after allergic reaction to cheese allegedly forced on him

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/11/karanbir-cheema-dies-allergic-reaction-cheese-allegedly-forced-on-him

Admittedly it is cartoon violence but it wouldn't be funny if they put a plastic bag over his head or spiked his drink with bleach.  

fromsinkingships on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

My friend gave me their EpiPen just before they died. It seemed very important to them that I have it. I still cherish it to this day.

martinturner - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Kimono:

I watched Tom get smashed repeatedly with a hammer, by Jerry. 

Didnt go round wacking people with hammers.

Chill out

Jimbocz - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to martinturner:

> I watched Tom get smashed repeatedly with a hammer, by Jerry. 

> Didnt go round wacking people with hammers.

> Chill out

And I watched Mary Popping jumping off a roof with her umbrella and gave it a go as soon as I got home. 

Who's not chill?

marsbar - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Kimono:

I don’t think it’s getting het up about very little when children have life threatening allergies.  The last small/medium secondary I worked in had 6 kids with epi pens.  It’s not particularly rare.  However I also think it’s a good thing for reality to be shown in children’s films.  It can be used as a talking point and hopefully make it clear that it is actually serious.  I haven’t seen the film, but I doubt it suggests that bullying is a good thing. 

JoshOvki on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to martinturner:

The difference is that is something that will OBVIOUSLY cause damage and will be very clear very quickly. Kids know you hit someone with thing hard it is going to hurt. Throwing food at someone can seem like harmless fun, when it could be lethal.

subtle on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

> Throwing food at someone can seem like harmless fun, when it could be lethal.

How lethal is to it though or are you just scaremongering?

Touching food you are allergic to will not cause death surely? Ingesting it yes, possibly, but touching?

JoshOvki on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to subtle:

Pretty damn lethal for some people. For me contact gives me hives, if I don't wash my hands thoroughly after being in contact I can ingest it and go into anaphylactic shock. Some people are more allergic than I am, and proximity or touch can set it off. Anaphylaxis is the worse case, the reactions I get from contact are pretty damn miserable. But it might not kill me so it is all good right...

Post edited at 16:05
subtle on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

So, its down to your lack of basic hygene (not washing your hands before eating)

Sorry, me bad, the above was a joke!

Didn't realise that even touching food could cause reactions such as this - how common is this or are you just unfortunate in this regard? 

Is it reasons like this that certain foodstuffs are now being prohibited in public places (nuts in school etc.)

toad - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Touching food you are allergic to will not cause death surely? Ingesting it yes, possibly, but touching?

Can do, and allergic reactions aren't constant over time. They can be worse with subsequent exposure.

JoshOvki on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to subtle:

> So, its down to your lack of basic hygene (not washing your hands before eating)

But when the cake is there I just want to eat it all!

> Didn't realise that even touching food could cause reactions such as this - how common is this or are you just unfortunate in this regard? 

> Is it reasons like this that certain foodstuffs are now being prohibited in public places (nuts in school etc.)

To be honest it is very rare to cause anaphylaxis from touch, but still traumatic, and increases the changes of ingesting (and can make things worse over time). As a kid was I taught KEEP AWAY FROM THAT! Much in the same way you are told not to put fingers into plug sockets, not to play in the road when there are cars, don't drink the damn bleach etc. So when it is forced on you to be in contact with something you are conditioned to be afraid of it really isn't nice. As I got older I have just got on with it, perhaps it was my parents approach but it worked.

I am not sure about things being prohibited in public places, nothing was when I was a child. Nuts on planes is a good one because the chance of cross contamination are huge and an EpiPen will keep you going for about 15 minutes (maybe) but you will be more than that away from help (antihistamines and lots of it). I always carry 2 in the hills, but know it is fairly pointless as that gives me 30 minutes tops.

subtle on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

Can understand parents telling their kids to stay away from things that they are allergic to, even though the actual risk against the perceived risk is always exaggerated. 

Nuts on a plane - and epipen only keeps you going for 15 mins - hmm, what if nuts were considered to be needed for emotional support - classic law case stand off!

(please don't feel the need to respond, I'm not making light of your predicament, just trying to understand it a bit more)

marsbar - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

> The difference is that is something that will OBVIOUSLY cause damage and will be very clear very quickly. Kids know you hit someone with thing hard it is going to hurt. Throwing food at someone can seem like harmless fun, when it could be lethal.

This is exactly why I think it should be in the film, it makes it clear that it’s not harmless fun without a real person getting hurt.  

Had no end of trouble in last school trying to stop kids spraying themselves with body sprays and perfume all the time.  Until one kid had such a bad asthma attack they went to hospital.  Sometimes kids need to know it’s really serious and not just people trying to stop their fun.  

marsbar - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

Silly question probably but can you take antihistamines with you, and when you say lots, how many is lots?  

I was also under the impression you could use a blue inhaler as well as an epi pen.  

Post edited at 16:51
JoshOvki on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to marsbar:

That is a very good point, I didn't see it from that point of view.

As for the antihistamines, I do carry some with me, I tend to take the liquid stuff with me, which can help, but it takes so long to take effect, good for minor reactions, a slight use in a big one. You need to have it as a intravenous to have an immediate effect. A blue Inhaler would help relax the throat, but again that will only work for so long (and not something I have been given). Breathing is only half the problem, it is the blood rushing away from the vital organs that will get you if the lack of oxygen doesn't.

Fun fact, you can be anaphylactic to exercise!

wilkie14c - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Kimono:

I’m allergic to bacon sandwichs and i won’t be offended at all if you lot want to bully me at Stanage 

Brass Nipples on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to wilkie14c:

They may force a pig to have congress with you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.