UKC

Phone virus?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DogmaLook2 24 Mar 2014
A friend sent me an email from a windows PC. I inadvertantly opened an attachment on my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4) which took me to a dodgy internet site selling diet pills.

Could my phone be infected with a virus? I ask as its been acting oddly ever since. Battery life is now crap and it switched itself off with 40% battery and refused to switch back on until connected to a wall charger.

Is there any anti-virus for phones or how can I tell if I'm infected and how do I remove it?
Cheers
 london_huddy 24 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

Factory re-set is the best thing to do. Nasty stuff for mobiles is becoming more common. Sounds like it could be infected with some malware/virus from your description.

Good luck!
In reply to DogmaLook2:

I have AVG for mobiles and it seems to have caught a few nasties in their tracks.
richyfenn 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

I use Lookout on my S4, I've not managed to catch anything yet.
 Gazlynn 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

I also use lookout and think it's great even just for the back up contacts facility.

cheers

Gaz
 Yanis Nayu 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

Has it lost any weight?
Removed User 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

Simple answer: No.

Detailed answer: No and don't use AVG on any platform. Ever.
 imkevinmc 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

Check the apps under Data Usage in settings.

The Outlook app threw a wobbly a couple of months ago on my Nexus 4 and hammered both my data usage and battery life. It exhausted my 1GB data allowance in a couple of weeks. Once uninstalled, life returned to normal
 woolsack 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

Great quote found whilst looking for Phone AV

"If you want the smartphone equivalent of unprotected sex with street hookers, get an Android.

iOS and Windows Phone are more like a monogamous relationship with a faithful partner."
KevinD 25 Mar 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> Great quote found whilst looking for Phone AV

shame its inaccurate really.

For OP: Fairly unlikely an attachment would infect a phone. Cant think of any off hand which would infect just by opening (as opposed to installing).
 crayefish 25 Mar 2014
In reply to DogmaLook2:

To prevent phone viruses, always wear a condom.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...