UKC

Piano

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BRILLBRUM 09 May 2023

I’m on the road to being the next Liberace (on 4th lesson) and need something to practice on. Other than a full size Joanna, or electric keyboard, what have others used before? Ideally I’m looking for something small and portable, will plug in to my MacBook, and not too pricey.

gribble 09 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Hit Ebay, and get a secondhand Yamaha or Roland. Or whatever other make people suggest.  It's very worth splashing out up to £100 at this stage, and you can always resell it. A decent keyboard will give decent results, and encourage you rather than discourage you with a halfway house keyboard.

SouthernSteve 09 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I would go for a decent number of octaves and pedals if possible for the full effect, and ideally electric, as a real piano will need tuning and that is not a cheap job. 

Watch the really old Rolands (before 1995) as these are now irreparable - my poor old keyboard has quite a few duff keys now. In some places you can hire pianos of various sorts although it is not that cheap (£25 / Month). Does mean you can get rid if you don't make to the 20th lesson!

https://millersmusic.co.uk/pages/kickstart-rental-scheme

jiminy483 09 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I went from a Yamaha NP-12 to an acoustic which was left in a house I bought, then a Korg D1 when I sold that house and couldn't take the piano with me. Neither comes close to the acoustic but the Korg is a hell of a lot closer. The Yamaha had small keys which was a problem for me as I have big hands, it didn't really feel any different to a keyboard. The Korg is full sized, the keys have a nice weight and feel to them and the pedal works really well. I play it through 3 6'' inch speakers and an 8'' sub and I think it sounds lovely and authentic -  just not quite the real thing. 

freeflyer 09 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Some good advice already. What gribble says, but have it in the back of your mind to buy a cheap acoustic when you can play a few pieces that other people like to listen to (this should be one of your goals). You will love a real piano to bits. The Yamaha / Roland will be perfect for learning on.

Split your time equally between exercises to improve dexterity, messing around for fun, and working on something to show off with.

Have a great time!

J72 10 May 2023
In reply to Jack:

As someone who lugs a nearly 20kg stage piano plus synth I was interested when I saw the prototype online at trade shows.  This plus macbook must be the future to prevent MSK issues in pianists! 

to the OP - agree that getting something you want to play is key - when you say plug in to your MacBook so you mean to record yourself, or for midi?  

deacondeacon 10 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

The most popular digital pianos, which have full size keys, touch sensitivity and decent sound are the Yamaha P-45 and the Roland FP30-x. They're both great, and will get you through the first few years of playing. These two pianos come up time & time again as the recommended beginner digital pianos. I went for the Roland and absolutely love it but any decent music shop is likely to have both, so give them a try and see which h one you prefer 🙂

Ben Callard 10 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

If you plan to use it with a computer, and have some decent speakers why not look at a midi keyboard? As you aren't paying for speakers and software the money goes on the keys, so they can be better value. The M audio keystation range is well reviewed, as is Roland's A49.

Blue Straggler 10 May 2023
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Why do you want it to plug into your MacBook?

Blue Straggler 10 May 2023
In reply to J72:

> As someone who lugs a nearly 20kg stage piano plus synth I was interested when I saw the prototype online at trade shows.

I own one of these. It is....what it is. 

OP mentions portable and these do tick that box but obviously with limitations. 

I don't know how important "portable" really is to the OP but it's interesting that you mention a weight of 20kg. 
My Roland FP30 is 13.5 kg and when I bought it I thought "yeah portable" but it's never left my house in 3+ years. 

The Alesis Recital (not the Pro, just the standard, with its "semi weighted" keyboard action) weighs in at around 7.5kg and has decent speakers plus MIDI output and is about £180 new. It might be just the ticket for the OP at this stage.  

OP BRILLBRUM 11 May 2023

Thanks for all the hints and tips, some really good pointers and I think I’m going to go for the MIDI option as this will allow me to get something not too big but still be able to do all the things I need to do in a more portable and compact way.

the question was asked, ‘why do I want to plug in to my Mac?’ With the right app and keyboard combo I know I can follow interactive tutorials that will complement my in person lessons and I can use my AirPods to listen via my MC and not irritate the hell out of the rest of the house.

Thanks all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...