UKC

Playstation VR headset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 29 Nov 2019

Had the opportunity to try one of these a few weeks ago and was seriously impressed by it. Had a vague idea what it would be like but had seriously under estimated how awesome it was. Bloody hard not to get really immersed in some of the games. 

So I've found a nice black Friday deal and it's arriving on Sunday, and I'm suddenly remembering what it was like to be a kid on Christmas eve and feeling unable to wait for the next day out of impatience and excitement... 😄 

Games recommendations and general thoughts anyone? 

Pan Ron 29 Nov 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

I've considered getting one, but as I understand the quality of the image is still a bit substandard.  Plus a tendency to induce nausea.  

Justified or not?

deacondeacon 29 Nov 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

I had one but got rid of it a couple of months ago. When you first play it, it feels amazing but there isn't many great games. 

Astro bot and resident evil are a must though. 

Pefa 29 Nov 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

What affect do they have on eyesight If you play a lot? 

Post edited at 12:30
OP ThunderCat 29 Nov 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> What affect do they have on eyesight If you play a lot? 

Not sure? Might have a Google

In reply to deacondeacon:

> I had one but got rid of it a couple of months ago. When you first play it, it feels amazing but there isn't many great games. 

> Astro bot and resident evil are a must though. 

Thought astrobot was very interesting, the fact you've actually got to look a ound objects and pillars to see where the hell it is. 

Also tried beat sabre which is a game I'd never normally play on a million years, but quite enjoyed it. 

In reply to Pan Ron:

> I've considered getting one, but as I understand the quality of the image is still a bit substandard.  Plus a tendency to induce nausea.  

> Justified or not?

I've not really got anything to compare it too, but it seemed great to me (but obvs I'll probably look back on it when newer versions come out and think it's very dated).

The guy I was testing it with said he suffered from a bit of motion sickness / nausea sometimes, and certain games would knock him wobbly for a bit, to the point where he'd have to sit down for five minutes.  I don't seem to suffer from it as far as I know though.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Games recommendations and general thoughts anyone? 

I don't play games but enjoy using the google daydream VR headset for educational videos,  visiting far flung places, and a few films .

dunc56 29 Nov 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

I would have a look at Polybius. It's insane. 

In reply to dunc56:

> I would have a look at Polybius. It's insane. 

Googling that took me down the polybius arcade machine urban myth route, which of never heard of before

Dax H 30 Nov 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

I found I was fine playing standing up at the arcade club in Burnley, I was playing a fps based on an alien planet with a plastic gun. I enjoyed it that much to buy one but a ate reminded me that I got sick as a dog on a previous visit flying a X wing fighter on an occulus rift set.

I borrowed his Ps4 headset and the same shooting game and was sick as a dog again within about 5 minute's. 

Both times I got sick I was sitting rather than standing so my theory is when standing I move a bit with the game and my brain accepts it but when I sit there is no movement and my brain doesn't like that. 

BigBrother 30 Nov 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

Being a member of the PC Master Race I don't have any experience of the PS4 VR but I do have a VR headset on my PC. 

I think Elite Dangerous is available for the PS4 but I don't know whether it works with the VR headset. If it does I would strongly recommend it. The experience of sitting in the 3d cockpits of the different ships and looking around is amazing. Even in pancake mode it is an addictive game.

I keep thinking of trying something else in VR but always just start up ED.

As to nausea. The first time I tried it I had left my ship on a planet surface. Driving around on the surface going up and down gullies was incredible in VR but made me nauseous very quickly. Flying in space isn't nearly as bad.

The advice I have seen is to take it slowly and to stop as soon as you start feeling nauseous, don't try playing 'through it'.  

Post edited at 22:32
OP ThunderCat 30 Nov 2019
In reply to BigBrother:

> Being a member of the PC Master Race I don't have any experience of the PS4 VR but I do have a VR headset on my PC. 

> I think Elite Dangerous is available for the PS4 but I don't know whether it works with the VR headset. If it does I would strongly recommend it. The experience of sitting in the 3d cockpits of the different ships and looking around is amazing. Even in pancake mode it is an addictive game.

One of the first games I could describe as truly epic was Elite. Commodore 64, early teens. God knows how many years of my life I spent playing that game. I've got to try this on vr.

Pardon my ignorance but what's pancake. Mode mean? 

OP ThunderCat 30 Nov 2019
In reply to Dax H:

Reminded of you a few days ago. Fully expected last of us two to be here by now so I started the first one again and was watching the giraffes again... 😄 

Looks like its Feb 2020 at the moment

BigBrother 01 Dec 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

Pancake as in flat. Non VR/3d, normal screen mode.

If you enjoyed the original Elite then you should get ED. It is essentially the same game with modern graphics and much more complexity.

OP ThunderCat 01 Dec 2019
In reply to BigBrother:

> Pancake as in flat. Non VR/3d, normal screen mode.

> If you enjoyed the original Elite then you should get ED. It is essentially the same game with modern graphics and much more complexity.

Thought so. 

Sounds like the next purchase! 

Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Pefa:

> What affect do they have on eyesight If you play a lot? 

What’s “a lot”? 

SenzuBean 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

>, and a few films .

In reply to ThunderCat:

Ive considered getting one of these so will be watching the thread with interest.  My worry, as has been pointed out a few times here, is nausea.  I have a 3D telly which past the first few days has never been put in 3D mode as it caused me to feel sick very quickly.

Pefa 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> What’s “a lot”? 

More than a little. 🙂 A pal plays for sometimes 3 hours at a time, a couple of times a week. 

Dax H 01 Dec 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

LOL,  I have changed sides now to the Xbox 1 X (took the all access deal) but I have kept my Ps4 Pro just for Last of Us 2.

In reply to Dax H:

Got up at seven this mornin , eagerly awaiting my delivery. 

Just got a text saying it will be here between 3 and 4. Argh. 

Dax H 01 Dec 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

Did it arrive and have you been sick yet? 

In reply to Dax H:

Yeah. Not bothered by motion sickness at all so far, but the missus had a wobbler almost straight away. 

Just been shitting my pants a bit on resident evil while skyrim is downloading...😄 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...