UKC

Post-Brexit tariffs for online EU purchases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So I'm looking to buy some ski stuff from France.

I had a look on gov.uk to find out if and how much extra I could have to pay for imports tarrifs.

Clearly gov.uk was full of endless waffle but lacking in detail or specific information.

So I am asking from the world's wisest bank of knowledge!

It is for items totalling £350. How much would the additional tariffs be?

Cheers!

Post edited at 15:13
 Mr Lopez 09 Jan 2021
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

It would typically be 20% VAT on the value of the items (what you pay for them or what the customs guys think they are worth, whichever is higher) including shipping costs which you also pay VAT on, plus duty if it applies which has variable rates, and a £10 to £15 processing fee depending on who the shipping comany is

ETA: It's 2% duty https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9506

So all in lets say postage is £30, that makes it £83.60 in vat/duty @22%, and with the processing fee on top you are looking at about £100

Post edited at 15:28
 Jenny C 09 Jan 2021

Thanks to the Brexit deal no import duty to pay.

But the above comments about UK VAT being charged at 20% on top of the delivered price are correct - at which point you may be better buying off a UK retailer after all.

The retailer will also have to provide documentation showing the goods value, contents etc so that it can clear customs smoothly.

Post edited at 15:33
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks Jenny. Unfortunately nowhere in UK has the item in my size.

Ian W 09 Jan 2021

dont forget that if you are paying UK VAT, you want be paying french VAT; the UK Vat will be applied to the net cost in france.

It isn't tariffs that are the big cost.  It's getting charged VAT twice because some EU suppliers can't be bothered to treat VAT differently for customers in the UK and the processing fees from the agent to clear the package through customs.  

jimtitt 10 Jan 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> It isn't tariffs that are the big cost.  It's getting charged VAT twice because some EU suppliers can't be bothered to treat VAT differently for customers in the UK and the processing fees from the agent to clear the package through customs.  

And the increased transport costs (if you can find someone to transport it).

jimtitt 10 Jan 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> It isn't tariffs that are the big cost.  It's getting charged VAT twice because some EU suppliers can't be bothered to treat VAT differently for customers in the UK and the processing fees from the agent to clear the package through customs.  

Bothered might not be the right word, first they need a notice from their tax authorities saying what the new system is and since the agreement is only provisional this may take some time, the taxman also has to read and understand the thousand odd pages!

Then there's the invoicing software which until a new version comes out automatically recognises the UK as still in the old system.

And then the slight hassle that the old EORI number (which identifies the exporter) that allows one to use the ATLAS system appears to be no longer valid as the UK is in another system. This makes it difficult to provide proof that the shipment was actually exported and without this the seller must apply VAT as if it was a domestic sale.

In reply to jimtitt:

So it's all one huge clusterf@@@ until it is sorted!

What a mess to be in.

I shall hold off until this settles a bit.

jimtitt 10 Jan 2021

There's a reason there's not chaos at the ports! Reportedly 50% of normal freight is suspended until there is some clarity and Germany's largest haulage company have stopped accepting cargo as 25% of the shipments have incorrect paperwork.

As for shipments through GB to N Ireland.......

digby 11 Jan 2021

There aren't any import tariffs (at the moment anyway). What you are going to have to pay for is mountains of paperwork and other bureaucracy. A lot of EU small firms are stopping selling to the UK as it's not worth the candle.

Post edited at 13:21
 digby 11 Jan 2021
In reply to digby:

I got that wrong but can no longer edit the post. "...only goods made up largely of stuff originating in the UK qualify as tariff-free"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...