UKC

Post Brexit Trade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 03 Jan 2018
The reality of what to expect post brexit?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/03/britain-in-talks-to-join-t...

Such arrangements, under the guise of free trade, add contraints to democratic governments that seem to me to be partly protectionist (and unlike the EU 'protections', for less good reasons), sometimes anti-competitive and potentially corrosive to democratically decided state structures (like organisations such as the NHS, or rules such as those currently in place for enviromental protections or food safety).
 MG 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

And generally perverse - abandon a trade agreement with your neighbours with whom you have extensive, deeply embedded trade, political and economic links for a speculative arrangement on the other side of the world where none of that exists.
 jkarran 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

So we leave the huge free market right on our doorstep, the one that has on our behalf negotiated strong trade agreements with many of the Pacific rim nations then re-focus our attentions instead on our antipode and the TPP which is likely losing its biggest member anyway (at the insistence of their bigliest member)? Brexit is becoming impossible to satirise.

Without using the words 'desperate' and 'painted into a corner' can anyone explain how this makes sense?
jk
 wercat 03 Jan 2018
In reply to jkarran:

That'll be our contribution to reducing wasted product-miles and associated greeenhouse gases! The natural position for a UKIP Britain
 neilh 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Just remind me which countries are in the TPP? Australia etc.......I think you are overstating your case...
 Bob Hughes 03 Jan 2018
In reply to neilh:

Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.
 neilh 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Hardly candidates for taking on and destroying the NHS or subverting Uk food standards.

Mexico will do FTA with anybody and I would expect a UK/Mexcio deal to be on the horizon pretty soon.
OP Offwidth 03 Jan 2018
In reply to neilh:

It was set up involving the US with similar corporate protection rules to TTIP. Like TTIP, irrespective of the propaganda, it probably won't destroy the NHS but it could lead to unwanted political pressure countering UK population democratic preferences.
 neilh 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

You are overegging it when you look at the countries involved.A trade deal with Japan as part of the deal would improve things!

Nothing like a bit of irrational scaremongering
unbrako 03 Jan 2018
There will be a trade agreement with the EU. German and France need us to buy their cars, wine etc

john arran 03 Jan 2018
In reply to unbrako:

> There will be a trade agreement with the EU. German and France need us to buy their cars, wine etc

Of course there will be a trade agreement, but all indications are that it will be shit compared to what we have now. Remind me again what stunning benefits we'll be gaining to make it all worthwhile?
 RomTheBear 04 Jan 2018
In reply to unbrako:

> There will be a trade agreement with the EU. German and France need us to buy their cars, wine etc

Yes, don’t worry, there will be a lopsided trade agreement to make sure they keep selling us their cars and wine, but it won’t address what matters to us: services.
 summo 04 Jan 2018
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Yes, don’t worry, there will be a lopsided trade agreement to make sure they keep selling us their cars and wine, but it won’t address what matters to us: services.

You know this as fact? Or just being the usual merchant of doom?
 RomTheBear 04 Jan 2018
In reply to summo:
> You know this as fact? Or just being the usual merchant of doom?

It is a fact that a FTA covering mostly goods is the best outcome possible given the current government red lines on customs union, single market and free movement.

Of course there could be a dramatic back-pedalling by this government, or the next, on the red lines.

But for now I can only give my assessment on what is government policy and the minimum outcome, not on what I cannot predict.

Incidentally the FT makes exactly the same analysis as mine this morning, in better words than I can.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/8fd8c12a-efb4-11e7-ac08-0...
Post edited at 09:11
Bogwalloper 04 Jan 2018
In reply to neilh:

>

> I would expect a UK/Mexcio deal to be on the horizon pretty soon.

Awesome!

W

pasbury 04 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> It was set up involving the US with similar corporate protection rules to TTIP.

So how does that fit in with 'Taking back control' and sovverinty and all that?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...