UKC

Premier Inn planned for Ambleside?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mgce25c 21 Mar 2014

Hi, I received this link from a friend yesterday.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-the-proposed-plans-to-buil...

I have searched google etc. and can't really find any other information apart from a few news articles from 2011 about travel lodge hoping to access the Lake District.

(http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/business/9128447.Travelodge_looks_to...

Has anybody heard any more about this and does anyone have any more concrete evidence that this may happen?

Lastly, what are people's opinions about a travel lodge being built in Ambleside?
Post edited at 17:21
 Neil Williams 21 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

It's a Premier Inn, apparently. I don't have a problem with it - they aren't so cheap these days, so is unlikely to massively harm the local hotels, particularly as the various booking websites make booking such small places easier these days.

Neil
OP mgce25c 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks for that, I made a stupid mistake! I will try to edit the OP
 goose299 21 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

Yeh, saw the online petition the other day. Didn't do much research into it but signed it.
Definitely against a premier inn in Ambleside. It's a small, quiant place and there's a lot of b and b's already run by families. I think a premier inn would take a lot of the character out of the place
 Skol 21 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:
I think it's a good idea. Presumably the Inn will allow single night stays at the weekend . The fact that b and b's adopted 2 night minimum stays at weekends, as the Lakes got more popular annoyed me.
Competition is needed to obtain a better deal.
The lakes is a theme park nowadays. I think the lakes should be closed to tourist traffic now, and a good bus service initiated. Cycling along the east shore of Derwentwater the week before last was lovely. No cars and much more relaxing.
Post edited at 19:18
 Yanis Nayu 21 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

Definitely opposed. The Lake District is for the rich and privileged.
DogmaLook2 21 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

What a damming indictment of the YHA.
 The New NickB 21 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

No chains in the lakes, who do they think they are kidding.
 andy 21 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> No chains in the lakes, who do they think they are kidding.

Yep: Sally - Best Western, New England - MacDonald, Low Wood - English Lakes Hotels (not a big chain, but a chain nonetheless),
 payney1973 22 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

Although I'd hate to see a big hotel chain in the lakes I agree wth the point earlier, that the 2 night min stay in a lot of B&Bs makes it quite difficult OR even more expensive in a hotel.
 Skyfall 22 Mar 2014
In reply to payney1973:

I've never forgotten that, during foot and mouth, I kept going up to the lakes with v limited activities, deliberately spending my tourist dollars (and I was by no means alone) and, a year later, the prices shot up, two night min stay arrived, and I actually got caught out with nowhere to stay when a vehicle broke down and no one would give us a room for one night.

I have little sympathy now and I would welcome 'market forces' in the Lakes. What goes around comes around and all that.
 The New NickB 22 Mar 2014
In reply to Skol:

To be fair, a lot of places don't have a two night minimum. I usually have a couple of single night hotel stays in the lakes each year.
 Neil Williams 24 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

Looking at the petition, it might well be the old hall of residence my sister lived in while at uni there. It wasn't very big, maybe 10-20 rooms at most. So I doubt this will affect anything at all, really.

Neil
 silhouette 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

> Definitely opposed. The Lake District is for the rich and privileged.

Agreed. Cuba has the right idea; work reliably for ten years and accrue the right to have a two-night stay in a precious area of your own country.
 Alyson 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

I think they want to demolish the existing building and erect a 64-bed hotel. The extra traffic up the Struggle may be the biggest impact.

Generally it's great for tourists and crap for residents, like pretty much everything else which gets planning permission in Ambleside. The argument always trotted out is that local people will benefit from the 'boost to tourism', regardless of whether or not the locals think so.
 Duncan Bourne 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Skyfall:

Tend to agree there.
Mind you I always stay in the CC hut
 kipman725 24 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

why would I say no to cheap accommodation?
 Mark Eddy 24 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

I live within a few hundred metres of the proposed site, and like many in the area also work in the tourism industry.
So whilst on the one hand I can see a benefit of having an increased number of hotel beds in the village, this is not without a downside.

And the downside would be a considerable increase in traffic on what is a single track lane, not at all suitable for HGV traffic, let alone a hugely increased volume of cars.

We walk our dog along these lanes as a way of accessing the nearby fells, they are all currently very quiet and virtually traffic free areas.

And to operate a hotel of this size there will inevitably be at least a few lorries delivering on a daily basis.

Recently a planning application for a small amount (about half a dozen) of local occupancy (ie slightly more affordable) houses was rejected, seemingly for no valid reason other than some residents in the nearby larger houses didn't want them. That's such a shame. But maybe at least those same, presumably well connected residents will pull their weight and put a stop to the premier inn development.

100% against
 newhey 24 Mar 2014
In reply to mgce25c:

I think it is a great idea. If it could be in Langdale it would be even better.
 wercat 25 Mar 2014
In reply to newhey:

Local paper reports that Premier Inn may be proposed by Sainsbury's as part of their development in Penrith. I suppose that is near Ambleside if you live far away from Cumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...