UKC

Prince Charles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Mar 2020

I haven't really got anything to say, I just thought I'd be the first to post.

Yanis Nayu 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Mild symptoms apparently. 

Oceanrower 25 Mar 2020

I'll bet he's straight round his mum's...

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Gone to his holiday home, I believe...

profitofdoom 25 Mar 2020

Very bad news. While I don't like the royals or their system, I naturally wouldn't wish the virus on anyone. I hope you get better soon, Charles

Toccata 25 Mar 2020

> Gone to his holiday home, I believe...

Yep. One rule for us and one for them. And if he needs intensive care locally I wonder which patient is going to get turfed out?

Rob Parsons 25 Mar 2020

"The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing."

Aye, right.

ianstevens 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

They do meet the criteria - being really f*cking rich 

In reply to profitofdoom:

'I naturally wouldn't wish the virus on anyone. ' Quite right, of course.

Though I am prepared to make an exception in the case of one D Trump, definitely not of this parish.

mondite 25 Mar 2020

> Though I am prepared to make an exception in the case of one D Trump, definitely not of this parish.

Bit harsh. Whilst I have no love for the virus I dont think it quite deserves that.

I did like one of the newspapers saying how the queen had had to self isolate with only the bare minimum of 8 staff.

freeflyer 25 Mar 2020
In reply to mondite:

lol - post of the day so far

Greenbanks 25 Mar 2020

At least he wasn't driving...

neilh 25 Mar 2020
In reply to mondite:

Not good for alot of older people if she pegged it( those older generation in a care home etc, it would really morally hit them)

Never mind missing out on a Grand State occasion- funeral/coronation etc.

In reply to neilh:

It's a good point. I do wonder about the DoE at the moment, he didn't look too clever even before this all kicked off.

The Lemming 25 Mar 2020

And how many people does he and his mom employ at their holiday homes?

elsewhere 25 Mar 2020

From the news a few days ago - Queen is at Windsor, Charles is at Balmoral and William is in Norfolk. They're taking preservation of the line of succession seriously.

Thinking about it a bit more, if Charles - who doesn't look particularly great for one of his age - just gets the mildest of symptoms and recovers quickly, that could be really bad news as the 'it's only a bit of a mild flu' brigade point to him and say 'see - what's all the fuss about?'

I still think the government should be producing ads etc like they did at the start of the HIV epidemic, and scare the sh*t out of us. Better safe than sorry.

deepsoup 25 Mar 2020
In reply to neilh:

> Not good for alot of older people if she pegged it( those older generation in a care home etc, it would really morally hit them)

When she does go, hopefully peacefully a decent few years from now, they should really shut up shop and bury the monarchy with her.  Its time has passed, and it's really only because she's been such a good monarch on the whole that that isn't more obvious to everybody. 

Lets just spare ourselves the spectacle of the monarchy limping on a bit longer after she's gone with an embarrassingly piss-poor king, or two.

On second thoughts though, looking at our current PM.  I shudder to think who we might end up electing as our president!  (Or whatever else we might do to replace the monarch as head of state.)

mondite 25 Mar 2020
In reply to elsewhere:

> They're taking preservation of the line of succession seriously.

Cant imagine why some plebs thought it would be okay to flee to the countryside.

Clauso 25 Mar 2020

So, it's jumped the species barrier yet again and is now infecting lizards too?

Prince Prospero.

deepsoup 25 Mar 2020

> I still think the government should be producing ads etc like they did at the start of the HIV epidemic, and scare the sh*t out of us.

They didn't scare me - they were just confusing.  All that stuff with the icebergs floating about, what the hell was that all about?

Now 1970's public information films - they really *were* scary.  The spirit of dark and lonely water and all that.  I had nightmares about the 'drowning in the slurry pit' scene in 'Apaches' for months!

mick taylor 25 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

The AID's ad's were extremely effective tho and similar, more scary and hard hitting ones, should have been sorted weeks ago.  

Deadeye 25 Mar 2020

From the joke thread, but belongs here:

Prince Charles is self isolating with Covid 19

Prince Andrew is self isolating with Jenny, 16

JLS 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> "The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire, where they met the criteria required for testing."

> Aye, right.

I’m surprised the NHS 24 111 advised them to go to hospital in the first place. I understand most people are just told to feck off and self isolate. Even more so of the Duchess, given she wasn’t displaying symptoms. Me and the Mrs didn’t even bother phoning; now on day eight of our lockdown.

Mick Ward 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Clauso:

> So, it's jumped the species barrier yet again and is now infecting lizards too?

Oh, aren't you the naughty one!

But made my day. Thanks.

Mick

Tweet from a local:

https://twitter.com/BjCruickshank/status/1242931451257139206

Six of his entourage have it too,  the village is full of old people.

He knew he had met an infected person and had mild symptoms.  Royals are going to be a lot less popular in that part of the world.

profitofdoom 26 Mar 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> ..............He knew he had met an infected person and had mild symptoms......

Thanks for posting, Tom

It has been apparent for years that some UK royals believe that the rules do not apply to them. IMO the sooner people realize that, the better

Gone for good 26 Mar 2020

So an anti British - anti Royalist SNP supporter tweets some unsubstantiated claims on Twitter and shares out the gossip amongst his SNP supporting mates. Are we to believe Prince Charles was just wandering around Ballater high fiving all and sundry? Forgive my skepticism but it sounds a bit far fetched to me. 

Robert Durran 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> So an anti British - anti Royalist SNP supporter tweets some unsubstantiated claims on Twitter and shares out the gossip amongst his SNP supporting mates.

That was my exact thought. Just too good to be true from an anti-royalist nationalist perspective. It could be true, but, on balance, my money would be on it being fake news.

fred99 26 Mar 2020
In reply to :

Isn't it also highly likely that, just as the entire Royal Family are not allowed to travel on the same plane together, that the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William are now very separate from each other, thus safeguarding the preservation of the line of succession in the event of one or more deaths.

In reply to fred99:

> Isn't it also highly likely that, just as the entire Royal Family are not allowed to travel on the same plane together, that the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William are now very separate from each other, thus safeguarding the preservation of the line of succession in the event of one or more deaths.

And given that two of those generations are over 70, it is exactly what they should be doing anyway. One could argue they are simply setting a good example.

In reply to Gone for good:

> So an anti British - anti Royalist SNP supporter tweets some unsubstantiated claims on Twitter and shares out the gossip amongst his SNP supporting mates. Are we to believe Prince Charles was just wandering around Ballater high fiving all and sundry? Forgive my skepticism but it sounds a bit far fetched to me. 

The guy travelled after he had symptoms.  The theory is he caught it when he met the Prince of Monaco.  Which is pretty bad in itself, princes gadding about to other countries in the middle of an epidemic.  France is in a lockdown but what does that matter if you are royalty.

He came to Scotland with an entourage to stay in a house full of servants.   Presumably he was in a plane or car with multiple other people for several hours to get to his holiday house.  It is an extremely contagious disease.    You sit within a few feet of someone who has it for hours with no PPE and you are f*cked.

Of course he has infected a bunch of people.   It would be amazing if he hadn't.  He should have been *isolated* which means a few rooms and Camilla, not a palace full of staff.

They should have stayed at home.   Actually, Scotland should already have shut the border to private cars and forced anyone coming through the airport to quarantine for two weeks.   If this sounds ridiculous or nationalist then I point out that the state of Florida just imposed similar restrictions on people coming from New York.   The Chinese didn't let folk out of Wuhan which is why their other big cities never got too bad.  Exactly the same logic applies to Scotland and London.

The only good sign is that the Scottish Government have now appointed an expert from Edinburgh University to get unbiased and Scotland specific advice.

Post edited at 17:47

> The guy travelled after he had symptoms.  The theory is he caught it when he met the Prince of Monaco.  Which is pretty bad in itself, princes gadding about to other countries in the middle of an epidemic.  France is in a lockdown but what does that matter if you are royalty.

I think it was before France was in lockdown.

> He came to Scotland with an entourage to stay in a house full of servants.   Presumably he was in a plane or car with multiple other people for several hours to get to his holiday house.  It is an extremely contagious disease.    You sit within a few feet of someone who has it for hours with no PPE and you are f*cked.

You are entirely speculating all of that.

> Of course he has infected a bunch of people.

You simply don't know that. Like anyone, he may, of course, have done so before having symtoms and before the lockdown.

> It would be amazing if he hadn't.  He should have been *isolated* which means a few rooms and Camilla, not a palace full of staff.

He is in a house on the Balmoral estate. Why do you assume he and Camlla aren't isolating. Probably in an ideal place to do so.

> The Chinese didn't let folk out of Wuhan which is why their other big cities never got too bad.  Exactly the same logic applies to Scotland and London.

That is not an analogous scenario. An analogous scenario would be The UK government sealing off London, not Scotland sealing itself off from the rest of the UK.

Dax H 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

A good example would be doing what the government has told us to do, stay at home, don't travel, don't contact nhs111 or go to hospital if you have symptoms unless they are severe symptoms. 

Moley 26 Mar 2020

You're just jealous because Charles is the Prince of Wales, Scotland hasn't even got their own Prince. Losers.

In reply to Dax H:

> A good example would be doing what the government has told us to do, stay at home, don't travel, don't contact nhs111 or go to hospital if you have symptoms unless they are severe symptoms. 

But what is home? He's not a normal person whether you like it or not. It may well have been a reasoned decision between an official palace teeming with staff or a private house suitable for isolation.

mondite 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> don't contact nhs111 or go to hospital if you have symptoms unless they are severe symptoms. 

I doubt he contacted 111 and the hospital staff came to him I believe.

MG 26 Mar 2020

Had he gone to London people would ask why he didn't stay put in Aberdeenshire.

I do think there should be some clarity on why he was tested. If the answer is  he is heir to the throne, that should be said. 

Bacon Butty 26 Mar 2020

You do realise that he hasn't actually got it?
You notice that it's only a 'mild' case, that, surprise surprise, he'll recover from.
One of 'THEM' has to get it at some point to show that we're all in this together.

You'll believe any old rubbish that's posted on Twitter!

In reply to MG:

> I do think there should be some clarity on why he was tested. If the answer is  he is heir to the throne, that should be said. 

Absolutely. And I'm sure that is the reason. The fact is that if you have royalty, then they have priviliges - they come with the institution. So by all means people can argue in general against the monarchy, but they shouldn't get all surprised when they get some privileged treatment.

mondite 26 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

> I do think there should be some clarity on why he was tested. If the answer is  he is heir to the throne, that should be said. 

Thats the main problem. The repeated claims that it would have been the same for any other person. I guess there is a chance its true but I would want to see evidence of all these similar people getting tested. Seems stupid and damaging to lie about it.

With regards to London vs Scotland. His trip to Scotland was just before the government said dont go to second homes. I have a sneaky suspicion he knew in advance.

Tom Valentine 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

As long as she's 16 in the UK he's sticking to the letter of the law.

It's a very popular stance at the moment, especially on UKC.

In reply to mondite:

> With regards to London vs Scotland. His trip to Scotland was just before the government said dont go to second homes. I have a sneaky suspicion he knew in advance.

His love of Balmoral is well known. I doubt he knew for certain but it would have been a fair guess.

HansStuttgart 26 Mar 2020

> Absolutely. And I'm sure that is the reason. The fact is that if you have royalty, then they have priviliges - they come with the institution. So by all means people can argue in general against the monarchy, but they shouldn't get all surprised when they get some privileged treatment.

I wouldn't even call it privileged treatment. In a crisis certain people in the state have to be better protected, such as generals in a war and doctors in a health crisis. And the successor to the head of state should always be on that list.

Dax H 26 Mar 2020
In reply to mondite:

> I doubt he contacted 111 and the hospital staff came to him I believe.

Cracking, if I start feeling ill I will leave the gate open so they can nip round to see if I'm okay, it's not like they have anything better to do. 

In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

> You notice that it's only a 'mild' case, that, surprise surprise, he'll recover from.

From what I've heard this is the normal progression: it starts off mild and after a while it gets real bad real fast.  Hopefully it is actually a mild case but you can't assume that from the fact it starts off mild.

If he'd wanted to come to Balmoral about a month ago and *before* catching the virus then maybe fair enough.   Moving to an unaffected rural area *after* catching it and bringing an entourage of cops and servants with you from a hotspot area is unconscionable.

jkarran 26 Mar 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> It has been apparent for years that some UK royals believe that the rules do not apply to them. IMO the sooner people realize that, the better

The rules don't apply to them, who could possibly still be surprised by that realisation? Even without the titles there's the money.

Anachronistic nonsense but hopefully they all recover well.

jk

Post edited at 20:48
 daWalt 26 Mar 2020
In reply to HansStuttgart:

> generals, doctors, and the successor to the head of state

All three would be fine.

if not, I'll put them in another order of preference.

Bacon Butty 26 Mar 2020

You think you were untouchable in mainland Balmoral?
Explain the 20 plus cases on the Shetlands?  The bastard English no doubt!

Deadeye 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> As long as she's 16 in the UK he's sticking to the letter of the law.

> It's a very popular stance at the moment, especially on UKC.

You WOT mate?

mondite 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Cracking, if I start feeling ill I will leave the gate open so they can nip round to see if I'm okay, it's not like they have anything better to do. 

Just have the butler let them in.

Oh you dont have one. Ah, ermm. Maybe wait till its serious?

Dave the Rave 26 Mar 2020

The royals are well spaced out. Maybe Covid isn’t the real threat, but the increased Russian ships in the North Sea and English Channel is? 

> Explain the 20 plus cases on the Shetlands?  The bastard English no doubt!

My guess -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullom_Voe_Terminal

Clauso 26 Mar 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> The royals are well spaced out...

Innit, bruv?...

In reply to mondite:

> With regards to London vs Scotland. His trip to Scotland was just before the government said dont go to second homes. I have a sneaky suspicion he knew in advance.

Yes, but he isn't an uninfected person going to a holiday house.  He knew he had contact with someone who had the virus - this Prince of Monaco - and he had 'mild symptoms'.  The rules are he should have isolated for 14 days where he was.

Then there is the issue of bringing a squad of London cops and servants with him at a time when London has a massively higher infection rate than Deeside.  

Post edited at 00:03
 Robert Durran 27 Mar 2020

> My guess -

So the bastard English are not only stealing our oil but bringing this killer plague with them. 

FreshSlate 27 Mar 2020

> Tweet from a local:

> Six of his entourage have it too,  the village is full of old people.

> He knew he had met an infected person and had mild symptoms.  Royals are going to be a lot less popular in that part of the world.

Love that thread. 3 or 4 people ask for a source and he only replies with 'the Brit press' and 'local sources'. He's also got the profile picture 'Scottish not British'. Some random guy wants the source to 'ram it down the throat of his Monarchist colleagues', erm... he replies... the Brit press. Honest. 

Cite the article anyone? 

> So the bastard English are not only stealing our oil but bringing this killer plague with them. 

Where do you think Coronavirus would be most likely to come from in Shetland?

Clauso 27 Mar 2020

> Where do you think Coronavirus would be most likely to come from in Shetland?

Lurgywick? 

> You are entirely speculating all of that.

OK how does a Royal get from London to Balmoral without going in a car or a plane.

There is no speculation that Coronavirus is highly contagious.  I guess it is possible they were all wearing moon suits the entire journey.

The guy whos tweet I linked lives in Ballater.  One of his other tweets says there were Met Police cops in the co-op.  I can't see Charles coming to Balmoral without his cops and servants and there's also the local staff.

> You simply don't know that. Like anyone, he may, of course, have done so before having symtoms and before the lockdown.

The symptoms were mentioned before the trip to Scotland,

> He is in a house on the Balmoral estate. Why do you assume he and Camlla aren't isolating. Probably in an ideal place to do so.

No doubt they are 'isolating' as in staying in a huge house on an estate.  Whether they are keeping sufficient distance from their staff and their staff from the village is a different question.

> That is not an analogous scenario. An analogous scenario would be The UK government sealing off London, not Scotland sealing itself off from the rest of the UK.

The first thing I mentioned was Florida imposing a quarantine on people who came off flights from New York.  That is exactly analogous to Scotland imposing a quarantine on people arriving from London.

Firstly I would take anything the nationalist tweeter says with a massive pinch of salt.

Your only point which isn't highly speculative is the timing and nature of Charles' journey to Scotland. I'll speculate in return that he may have taken exceptional precautions.

As for fights out of London being quarantined, it is a reasonable strategy, but I don't see why Scotland should be special - there may be a case for quarantining London from the whole of the rest of the UK.

Post edited at 09:35
 daWalt 27 Mar 2020

> My guess -

the dangers of guessing. I'v head form people who work in shetland it's the product of one holiday, one family member and a birthday party.

> Where do you think Coronavirus would be most likely to come from in Shetland?

Someone on a ferry or a flight. I agree that something to do with Sullom Voe seems likely. 

MG 27 Mar 2020

> The first thing I mentioned was Florida imposing a quarantine on people who came off flights from New York.  That is exactly analogous to Scotland imposing a quarantine on people arriving from London.

It's not analogous because your reason for suggesting it is xenophobia, not a prevention measure to limit coronvairus spread.

In reply to MG:

> It's not analogous because your reason for suggesting it is xenophobia, not a prevention measure to limit coronvairus spread.

I'm not sure it's really xenophobia but just the fact that he sees everything through a distorting nationalist prism. It will be interesting whether coronavirus will ultimately have an affect on the case for independence - I think it could go either way.

Doug 27 Mar 2020

> As for fights out of London being quarantined, it is a reasonable strategy, but I don't see why Scotland should be special - there may be a case for quarantining London from the whole of the rest of the UK.

Had an email from a colleague in Helsinki this morning - the Finns have effectively cut off the Helsinki region (equivalent to the Greater London Area ?) from the rest of Finland with no one allowed in or out (although I suspect there are a few exceptions for eg medical reasons). Could the UK do the same for London ?

rogerwebb 27 Mar 2020

> As for fights out of London being quarantined, it is a reasonable strategy, but I don't see why Scotland should be special - there may be a case for quarantining London from the whole of the rest of the UK.

And there is a case for quarantining the central belt from the Highlands and everywhere from the Western Isles and Orkney. All points north of the Dingwall Ullapool Road etc

National boundaries don't count for much in this case. Physical boundaries and underpopulated areas would I imagine be more useful.

Highland airports are shut, the A9, A82, and A96 are obvious candidates for shutting. 

In reply to MG:

> It's not analogous because your reason for suggesting it is xenophobia, not a prevention measure to limit coronvairus spread.

No, the UK is avoiding taking obvious preventative measures used throughout the world because they would diminish the power of London.

It is a problem with over-centralisation.   If it was any other city in the UK which was the hotspot it would have been cordoned off.

Scotland is a country with a devolved government.  If it was a US state it would have the power to protect itself.   The UK government is likely to become ineffective for several weeks.  If Johnson has it you can be sure a ton of other senior politicians and civil servants have it too and they're all getting sick at the same time. 

It is actually another cretinous lack of judgement by the Tories - this was totally predictable and they should have been moving the top people out and isolating them from the rest of the world or deliberately infecting them so they'd be through it at the time of maximum crisis.  

MG 27 Mar 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

Once we have things under some control, regional closures and restrictions probably make some sense fr damping down hotspots etc.

rogerwebb 27 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

I suspect that is the way it will go. For instance in Scotland North of the Great Glen, as long as Inverness is isolated, divides neatly into lowly populated segments within which one would imagine the inhabitants could have greater freedom of movement. Provided movement into those areas was restricted. 

Presumably there are other areas in the UK where the same could apply. 

Post edited at 13:01
 Enty 27 Mar 2020

I believe he caught it from eating an old bat.

E

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Cases in Grampian up 14 to 45.  45% in a day.

Obviously just a co-incidence.  Nothing to do with testing Charles, Camilla and their entourage.

The Lemming 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Enty:

> I believe he caught it from eating an old bat.

> E

So, sex is banned now?

Bacon Butty 27 Mar 2020

I never knew that old Charlie boy was so popular in Scotland, seeing as he seems to have infected 1,059 people.

What a lad!

> Cases in Grampian up 14 to 45.  45% in a day.

> Obviously just a co-incidence.  Nothing to do with testing Charles, Camilla and their entourage.

Yes, and Tayside up 41%. Those Westminster/Monarchist bastards clearly sent a prince there as a bioweapon too.

brianjcooper 27 Mar 2020

> I haven't really got anything to say, I just thought I'd be the first to post.

You're a Troll sir! 

brianjcooper 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

> Had an email from a colleague in Helsinki this morning - the Finns have effectively cut off the Helsinki region (equivalent to the Greater London Area ?) from the rest of Finland with no one allowed in or out (although I suspect there are a few exceptions for eg medical reasons). Could the UK do the same for London ?

London did that years ago with. Better transport system. Roads. etc. etc...

> I never knew that old Charlie boy was so popular in Scotland, seeing as he seems to have infected 1,059 people.

8 (Charles, Camilla, 6 cops/servants)  -> 16 -> 32 -> 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024

Gets there in 7 doubling periods or 21 days.

Post edited at 22:56
Clauso 27 Mar 2020

256 x 2 = 512

... Happy to help. 

> Those Westminster/Monarchist bastards clearly sent a prince there as a bioweapon too.

He's not a bioweapon.  He is an entitled prick who traveled when he knew he was infected and brought an entourage of people with him from a city where it is running rampant.

In reply to Clauso:

> 256 x 2 = 512

> ... Happy to help. 

Too fast, I could still edit it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...