UKC

problems with the vice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alx 30 Nov 2018
In reply to paul mitchell:

The one on the left is pure filth.

OP paul mitchell 30 Nov 2018

Which is YOUR fave bit on this vid?

webbo 30 Nov 2018

clearly a numpty as wd 40 is not a releasing agent, should be using plus gas or heat.

Timmd 30 Nov 2018
In reply to webbo:

I liked his mechanical solution to taking it to bits. I'd not call somebody who does that good a restoration job a numpty. 

Timmd 30 Nov 2018

> Which is YOUR fave bit on this vid?

I find it impossible to choose, I just like the whole process of him taking something which another person might have thrown away and giving it another lease of life, and the obvious skill and care involved in him restoring it too. He does a brilliant job.

Post edited at 20:50
 webbo 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Timmd:

you are probably right. I would be more impressed if it was Kirky doing it, I think the only time he’s got his hands dirty was when he fell over.

Brilliant video - I am really envious of the equipment he has at his disposal. I also like the way he makes tools to do certain jobs of working on the vice, I inherited some of my Dad's tools and there were lots that he made for specific jobs he had to do at work. He worked on Lancasters then Vulcans for Avros at Woodford.

McHeath 01 Dec 2018

Mesmerising vid, I was riveted! (Yes, I know ...)

Not often that YouTube will allow people to upload films of themselves at their favourite vice.

gethin_allen 01 Dec 2018

Not sure why he did all the finishing of the contact surfaces and then blasted the rest, the sensible option I would think would be to do the opposite, blasting with a finer grit to remove the rust but not damage the contact surfaces.

Timmd 02 Dec 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

He covered the contact surfaces to protect them during blasting, he used sticky aluminium stuff which looks like smooth metal (which it is I suppose) once stuck down. 

Post edited at 02:08
 AndyC 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Timmd:

When everything was hyper-clean from the blaster he put his greasy, bare fingers over it all! 

gethin_allen 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I just thought he could have saved himself the effort of masking everything up before blasting if he'd done the finishing work after blasting it.

Greenbanks 02 Dec 2018

They've got new ones of those in ToolShed...

Timmd 02 Dec 2018
In reply to AndyC:

> When everything was hyper-clean from the blaster he put his greasy, bare fingers over it all! 

....and the whole result was ruined.

Post edited at 21:52
 AndyC 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> ....and the whole result was ruined.

Well, it'll probably have to be redone in another hundred years or so! He could have avoided faffing around with the degreaser if he'd put primer on it straight away. Many years ago, when I was rebuilding a Triumph GT6, I got my wrist slapped by a professional sandblaster for the same cardinal sin!

Timmd 03 Dec 2018
In reply to AndyC:

If I was a professional sandblaster I'd have said the same thing I'm sure. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...