UKC

Proms John Williams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 22 Dec 2017
Saw this last night and it’s on iplayer. What a treat, themes to the best films from my childhood and more recently. He is truly one of the great composers.

Cheers

Toby
 felt 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

Really, what, up there with the three Bs, Wolfi and Wagner?
OP Toby_W 22 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

I feel I need to put this in perspective in that while my family is talented and musical... i am not but, yes I think so, when you look at his work over the last four decades.
But, even if you disagree, I think it’s worth a watch if you’re a up for a trip down memorie lane of some great childhood films.

Cheers

Toby

Pedro50 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

They all sound a bit the same to me. But then I suppose so do the Brandenburg concertos.
OP Toby_W 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

I’m clearly fighting a lost cause and have no doubt been overcome by Christmas nostalgia.

Happy Christmas.

Toby
 Mal Grey 22 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

> Really, what, up there with the three Bs, Wolfi and Wagner?

Yes, I think he really is up there somewhere, if you can somehow separate them in your head from the films and just listen to them. Not just talking about the obvious Star Wars/Jaws/Raiders etc, which are magnificent, but also the wider variety of other music for less "Blockbustery" films.

Mind you, I've always been gobsmacked by the ability of any orchestral composer to somehow have all that inside their head and know how it will sounds when all the pieces are put together.
 8A machine elf 22 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

> Really, what, up there with the three Bs, Wolfi and Wagner?

Tchaikovsky wipes the floor with that lot.
 8A machine elf 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

I always had a soft spot for John Williams as a kid in the 70s,probably because one of his instrumentals was played on Take Hart with Tony Hart.
 Tom Valentine 22 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

I like a lot of classical music though I tend more toward opera then most UKC ers : so is that why I'm struggling to name a third B?
First two are easy but after that there seem to be several in with a shout.....
 Pedro50 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes I wondered. Bruch, Bruchner, Brahms, John Barry. Who Knows?
 Welsh Kate 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

'The Three Bs' are Brahms, Beethoven and Bach. Other 'Bs' are available
 felt 22 Dec 2017

Yes, Brahms. Certainly not Bruch; Bruckner is something of a one-idea man to me.
 Pedro50 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks!
In reply to Welsh Kate:

The two Bs are easy, the third B is the difficult one. I think some might be inclined towards Bruckner rather than Brahms ...
 Tom Valentine 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

My point exactly.
Felt's list implies that the top five would include 3 B s and I would rather see George F. Handel and Frederick F. Chopin up there. Brahms only gets there by virtue of the fact that his name makes a trio, and people love threesomes, whether at cards, pebbles, furniture, posh food served on a slate, or mountain challenges.
And what's Wagner done on grit? Unless he actually jumped off the belay ledge on Valkyrie.....
 Ratfeeder 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Toby_W:
John Williams is a very fine and competent composer of film music - that is, music for Hollywood blockbusters. But his scores are not deeply satisfying works of art in the way that the scores of the great composers are. He's a clever orchestrator, but his style is derivative, especially, of Strauss (Richard) and Mahler. If you want to hear real orchestral and symphonic virtuosity, have a listen to Richard Strauss's 'An Alpine Symphony'. It'll blow you away. Richard Strauss, by the way, wrote the music that Stanley Kubrick used nearly a century later in his '2001, A Space Odyssey' (the Einleitung from 'Also Sprach Zarathustra').
Post edited at 19:37
Removed User 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

er, not at all? For one thing the forces involved are unique to each concerto.
 Pedro50 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> er, not at all? For one thing the forces involved are unique to each concerto.

That was my point essentially
OP Toby_W 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Ratfeeder:

Thank you.

Toby

LeeWood 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Ratfeeder:

The alpine symphony has some lovely themes ... which occasionally emerge from the chaos of the icefall

And through this whole discussion I'm incredulous that no-one has mentioned the greatness of our own British greats - Elgar, V Williams and Delius ?
 summo 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

I think the pieces now stand alone, but they also fitted and without doubt enhanced the movies. That takes a different kind of talent to simply writing a great tune.
 BnB 23 Dec 2017
In reply to summo:

Can I recommend you and Toby explore some "proper" classical music. JW writes stirring film scores but they're no more than that.

Listen to the opening bars of Mahler's Symphony no 2, The Resurrection. Then give the fifth movement your complete attention. You'll never compare JW to the greats again.
 alasdair19 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Ratfeeder:

In the same vein compare holsts the planet's to Williams themes for star wars. He is brilliant at what he does though
 JimR 23 Dec 2017
In reply to alasdair19:

Surprised no one has mentioned mr Mozart yet!
 felt 23 Dec 2017
In reply to JimR:

Wolfi?
 Nevis-the-cat 23 Dec 2017

John Williams writes movie soundtracks, he does it very well.

They perform a function, and perform it very well.

In the same way a Defender is quite handy in the shit, but bollocks on a track day. If you feel the need to put him down and wiffle on about how superior Purcell is, then you might be missing the point....
 Ratfeeder 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
So far as I can see, no one on this thread has tried to put John Williams down, or to deny that he is superb at what he does. I'd go as far as to say that JW is a serious contender for the title of 'greatest film-composer of all time', though there are others in the running, like Bernard Williams and Erich Korngold (who was a great influence on JW).

An evaluative comparison with 'the great' composers was made by the OP. Was the OP 'missing the point'? Or is it only other posters who wish to qualify that evaluation who are missing it? In any case it is an interesting comparison, since JW was avowedly influenced by certain composers, particularly of the late romantic tradition, and their influence can clearly be heard in his music. But I'm pretty sure JW himself would be the first to denounce any claim to be in the same league as the composers he makes free use of.
Post edited at 12:39
 Ratfeeder 26 Dec 2017
In reply to alasdair19:

> In the same vein compare holsts the planet's to Williams themes for star wars. He is brilliant at what he does though

Yes indeed, JW admitted that for Star Wars he virtually steals from The Planets - especially the march rhythms from 'Mars'; but the Star Wars music is a pale imitation of Holst's electrifying original.

Btw in my last post above I meant to write 'Bernard Herrmann' instead of 'Bernard Williams'. Getting my film composers mixed up with my academic philosophers, tut tut.
 Wimlands 26 Dec 2017
Beatles ?

mountainbagger 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Wimlands:

> Beatles ?

Bieber.
 Wimlands 26 Dec 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:
Only partly joking.... I'm not knowingly aware of any Brahms music.

Am I a complete and utter philistine?
Can someone recommend a place to start?
Post edited at 13:21
 mountainbagger 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Wimlands:

I am so sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were a philistine. I just thought it was funny to think that Justin Bieber could be the third B in that poster's three Bs

To be honest I find Brahms a bit dull (perhaps it is I who is the philistine). I'm a lapsed clarinetist, so I feel I should suggest his Clarinet Quintet. I liked parts of his German Requiem too.

But, his most popular works include his Hungarian Dances (not dull I hasten to add!), Brahms Lullaby and Piano Concerto No.1. Maybe start with those
 timjones 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Toby_W:

His music is OKish but I hope you're not expecting us to accept that Star Wars was a decent film
 Wimlands 26 Dec 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:
No need for apologies at all, thank you for the recomendations, I'll check the clarinet one out and report back....

I know what Bach sounds like, let's face it you only have to listen to R3 for 30 minutes and they will play him, and certainly would recognise 7 or 8 of Beethovens tunes. But genuinely wouldn't know Brahms....

Williams? Not for me. Don't get it at all. Showing what a philistine I am again.
 Tom Valentine 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Wimlands:

If someone hums you the first line of Brahms' lullaby, you will know it...
 Ratfeeder 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> 'The Three Bs' are Brahms, Beethoven and Bach. Other 'Bs' are available

Actually 'The Three Bs' was originally coined by Peter Cornelius in 1854 and referred to Bach, Beethoven and Berlioz. It was only later in the century that Hans von Bulow adapted the phrase and replaced Berlioz with Brahms, thus making it clear which side he was on in the bitter rivalry between supporters of Wagner and those of Brahms which existed at the time.
 Wimlands 26 Dec 2017
You're right. Just checked it out and it certainly sounds familiar....once is enough though
 felt 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Wimlands:

Piano Concerto No. 2/Gilels

In reply to Ratfeeder:

Re 3 Bs, interesting, thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...