UKC

/ Quick straw poll on etiquette...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ThunderCat - on 07 Feb 2018

Girl at work walks past our desk and I'd there's room on the tray she'll grab our cups and make us a tea.   Always appreciated.

Today she came back, put the drinks down,  and as she walked away she spotted something floating in mine,  reached into the cup with her finger, fished around in the tea for a bit,  picked it out then wiped the floater on her jeans. 

Put me off a bit,  and I poured it out.  Mate on desk said I was being a drama queen.  Opinion around the desk was generally on my side.  

What's your take? Would you  have drank it? 

I'm killing time here waiting for the missus... 

Stichtplate on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Not only would I not drink it, if she's grebby enough to wipe some random floater on her jeans, I'd also think twice about accepting future brews from her.

mkean - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Depends, what does she do other than occasionally make tea? If she's a microbiologist I'd burn the cup to be safe, if she's a bricky then you are being a wimp.

Wiley Coyote2 - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Was what she fished out alive or dead?

In reply to Stichtplate:

> Not only would I not drink it, if she's grebby enough to wipe some random floater on her jeans, I'd also think twice about accepting future brews from her.

Its a gamble though isn't it? One should never look a brew horse in the mouth, should one?  The nearby drinks machine is bloody awful,  but she goes as cross to the other office,  boils an actual kettle etc.

In reply to mkean:

> Depends, what does she do other than occasionally make tea? If she's a microbiologist I'd burn the cup to be safe, if she's a bricky then you are being a wimp.

Just a general nice lass who works in the office. I used to be a hard arsed northern son of coal miners. Then I moved south.  My ancestors must be spinning. 

Dax H - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Man up and drink it, fishing bits out has probably happened before but you haven't seen it. 

In reply to ThunderCat:

Think on. If she's happy to stick her fingers in your tea and wipe the results on her clothes right in front of your face, imagine what nefarious crap she'll see as fair game in the privacy of the kitchen!

Ciro - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Your mate's right. Compare it to the number of hands that touch the holds you touch at the wall, and then you pull the rope up with your hands and stick it in your mouth, and it'll seem absolutely trivial ;)

marsbar - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

It wouldn’t bother me.  Tea isn’t a good temperature for germs to live in and her hands probably aren’t particularly dirty if she works in an office.  

Sorry to drag the conversation to the gutter but I’m sure you’ve kissed another persons mouth and more.  A woman’s finger in your tea isn’t a big deal.  

mkean - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Office worker sits somewhere in the middle ground for me, probably a bit of a risk but unlikely to be anything you wouldn't catch anyway. Mechanics, fitters and brickies are safer as you'll instantly spot anything left behind by floater-fishing

Toby_W on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

My tech at work made me tea once and kept it warm while I was in the labs with a soldering iron dipped in it.  I happily drank it and feel lucky beyond words that someone makes me hot beverages at work.  

If your man suit has a zip, up it needs to be.  ;-)

cheers

Toby

In reply to marsbar:

There's a big difference in me choosing what I put in my mouth and what someone else chooses to put in my mouth.

(I suspect I'm a bit OCD. I also have issues with toilet doors and complimentary bowls of nuts in bars).

captain paranoia - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

I'd suggest keeping toilet doors out of your mouth; not hygienic...

In reply to captain paranoia:

I've tried, but they just taste so damn good.

Toby_W on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Stichtplate: now my mouth is watering at the thought of those tasty blue sweets the put in the funny shaped wash basins in toilets.

cheers

toby

Post edited at 22:29
Toby_W on 07 Feb 2018

In reply to

Ha, I was thinking of that exact clip!

cheers

Toby

Dave the Rave on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

If she’s that dirty then I would try to bed her!

marsbar - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

Fair enough.  Personally in most office kitchens I'd be more worried about the state of the teatowels used on the mug.  

Nuts in bars is a fair point.  

FactorXXX - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Just make your own tea in future you ungrateful fussy git!

Moley on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

If she stuck her finger in the cup then the tea wasn't hot, reason enough to tip it away and ask for another cup.

ian caton on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

You would drink from a mug used by others? Yuck!

Pete Pozman - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Girl at work walks past our desk and I'd there's room on the tray she'll grab our cups and make us a tea.   Always appreciated.

> I'm killing time here waiting for the missus... 

Just in the nick of time by the sounds of it otherwise you'd have to make yourself a cup of tea .. 

wercat on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

next time it happens just say "I'll give you a hand" and go with her - if the first thing she does is wash her hands or the cups then you've little to worry about, unless she picks her nose every few seconds ...

If she sits down and adopts the leg of pork position beloved of cats for a wash with her tongue and then does her hands, perhaps you should worry

Post edited at 09:45
Lusk - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Just be grateful that she can't stick anything else in your tea ...

duchessofmalfi - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

The etiquette problem here is your use of the word "girl".  Unless you mean a child the correct etiquette is "woman" or "colleague".

FactorXXX - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> The etiquette problem here is your use of the word "girl".  Unless you mean a child the correct etiquette is "woman" or "colleague".

How about Tea Lady?

duchessofmalfi - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

I guess that depends on her job description...

Blue Straggler - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Whose etiquette are you questioning? Yours for pouring it away or hers for trying to help you have a floater-free cuppa? Did you pour it away all dramatically in sight of her?

girlymonkey - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'd drink it. I don't think too much about hygiene and am never ill. I'm pretty sure my slovenly hygiene habits play a large part in this. 

Obviously, I wash my hands after going to the loo, there is a clear need for that. However, I eat food that gets dropped on the floor, don't wash my hands before eating unless there is a real need etc.

graeme jackson - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sounds like foreplay to me.

Ian W - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Would you have drank it if she hadn't removed the floater? Would you have noticed the floater? She obviously takes enough care to remove the floater, so the brew is probably ok. 

I'd drink it - if i'm making my own, I take much care. If someone else offers to brew up, then i have a fairly wide tolerance in terms of colour, milk content etc.

Can she move up here and work in my office. please?

Andy Johnson - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Would you  have drank it? 

Nope.

handofgod on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

This is actually quite a good point the OP has raised and one of the reasons I don't part take in work place hot drink rounds.

I mean, who knows where her finger might have been... up her bum for all the OP knows.

No, I would not have drunk that brew.

Post edited at 12:02
Siward on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

When you say 'fished around in the tea for a bit' do you mean just touching the surface briefly to pick up the floater, or putting a couple of fingers in and giving it a good old stir?

Wingnut - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Ask her to leave it in next time ... extra protein or fibre, depending on what it was.

wercat on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

sadly, in the gents at least, the need to wash hands on leaving a cubicle does not seem to be universally appreciated

girlymonkey - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to wercat:

And yet people are largely still healthy depsite that.

I guess that just proves that don't need to be as fussy as we are! I'm not about to stop washing my hands after a poo, but I suspect most of us would be none the worse for doing so if we did!

LastBoyScout on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

You mean she didn't delicately use the teaspoon that she left on the bone china saucer?

I'm with you and would have had an "eugh" moment in a office, due to location and availabilty of a fresh cuppa without fingers in it. Elsewhere, I'm sure I've had far worse without worrying about it.

Next time, better drop a chlorine tablet in it, to be on the safe side.

ThunderCat - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> The etiquette problem here is your use of the word "girl".  Unless you mean a child the correct etiquette is "woman" or "colleague".

I use the term girl, woman, lady, lass and probably a few more..  Probably get called bloke, lad, boyo, boy, chap equally as much. 

Maybe it's only a problem in your world, sugar tits....

Post edited at 14:38
In reply to Moley:

> If she stuck her finger in the cup then the tea wasn't hot, reason enough to tip it away and ask for another cup.

She probably licked her fingers first so as to take away the heat of the tea.
Anyway, when I make tea I squeeze the teabags with my fingers for maximum flavour as that is what you're supposed to do for a decent cuppa. 

felt - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Mate on desk said I was being a drama queen. 

This

marsbar - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Well a quick and probably inaccurate count suggests 9 would drink it 5 wouldn’t and 3 maybes.  So not really conclusive either way.  

Ettiquette would suggest using a spoon, but ettiquette also suggests you don’t look a gift tea in the mouth.  

marsbar - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

So at work you wouldn’t drink it, but if you were camping you would?  

Baron Weasel - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

I take it you've never worked in a commercial kitchen then? Chefs fingers go into a lot of things you buy in cafes, pubs and restaurants... 

Also, assuming the tea is freshly made it will be above pasteurisation temperature so won't do you any harm unless said female happens to have poison on her fingers.

Post edited at 15:34
johnjohn - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

>she spotted something floating in mine,  reached into the cup with her finger, fished around in the tea for a bit,  picked it out then wiped the floater on her jeans. 

Was she making eye contact as she did this? 

Rigid Raider - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Ditto the above - the food on your plate in the restaurant has been handled by the chef and possibly another couple of people in the cooking and presentation. The tea in your cup will be heading for 85 - 90 degrees C, which will kill any bacteria and then your stomach juices will deal with the rest.

But it's bad manners to do it in front of the recipient of the tea.

Crewey-Rob on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hey numb nuts - you sabotaged your own thread - which until the misogynistic outburst was properly entertaining.

Nevis-the-cat - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

Are you sure she's using the tap to fill the kettle? She might have been fishing out a pube, or worse. 

Thinking about it, you sure she was fishing something out? She might have just been using your brew to wash her finger, even the nicest girls get an itchy arse crack. 

Post edited at 16:32
DenzelLN - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

I wouldn't think twice and just drink it?

I bet you put bog roll on the toilet seat before snapping one off don't you?

LastBoyScout on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> So at work you wouldn’t drink it, but if you were camping you would?  

Ha - no. I meant in more general terms, like not washing hands before lunch on the hills, that sort of thing.

And still probably not as bad as having lunch before washing your hands after you've been on public transport or handling cash in a shop, for example.

In reply to ThunderCat:

I had a similar situation in work last week when Julie from Accounts asked if I liked teabag in or not.

WaterMonkey - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes if someone asks you if you like teabagging the answer should always be No!

In reply to WaterMonkey:

> Yes if someone asks you if you like teabagging the answer should always be No!

Bagger or Baggee?

In reply to Crewey-Rob:

> Hey numb nuts - you sabotaged your own thread - which until the misogynistic outburst was properly entertaining.

I guess some people's tongue-in-cheek-ometers are calibrated differently...

birdie num num - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

In the 1980s the  Hofburgh House in Liverpool (long gone) usually had a stripper on at lunch time and I remember going in there one with a few mates for a few steins of beer and to watch the show.                

We got front seats Yay! and having done a bit of dildo play she stirred my mate Bren's beer with it.

We all couldn't wait to have a taste

Post edited at 18:34
In reply to birdie num num:

> We all couldn't wait to have a taste

What did it taste of?

Timmd on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

As my Dad once said in wonderment to a brother who was worried about eating an overly ripe banana when we were older, 'If that kills you, you don't deserve to live' He was referring to antibodies and such, in his heartless sounding way.

I'd happily continue to drink her cups of tea, and would have drunk that one too.

Post edited at 19:10
In reply to Timmd:

> As my Dad once said in wonderment to a brother who was worried about eating an overly ripe banana when we were older, 'If that kills you, you don't deserve to live' He was referring to antibodies and such, in his heartless sounding way.

>  I'd happily continue to drink her cups of tea, and would have drunk that one too.

Haha, like that.

Timmd on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

By older, I mean older than young enough to be hurt, rather than older than we used to be.  ;-) 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.