UKC

Race and class in modern Britain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 07 Jun 2018

This is quite interesting. Some takeaways for me are how class and race can be pitted against one another, with poor northern white people having immigrants held up as the reason for their lack of economic success, and how poor white boys from the east of Glasgow do the same (economically and socially/criminally) as poor black boys from London.

The impacts of exclusions from school during the later school years and serving time in prisons, and the correlation of economic status on life chances are covered, too. He's a really intelligent and knowledgeable man. 

youtube.com/watch?v=atfVUgyEIOI&

Have a listen.  

Post edited at 01:53
 aln 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

takeaways? 

OP Timmd 07 Jun 2018
In reply to aln:

Look at the time I posted, is that the time when people's command of English is at it's peak? Probably not.

Have you listened to what's in the link? Probably not?

Post edited at 08:12
J1234 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

There are two problems with this thread.

• You post a link to a video over an hour long, honest not many people are going to watch it.
  • The video is about a book, and the opening words of the presenter are "I have not read the book"

now sorry to be picky Timmd, and I do generally like your style, but come on

OP Timmd 07 Jun 2018
In reply to aln:

> takeaways? 

Pardon me, that was 'Friend cheekiness', rather than how one should respond to somebody one doesn't know. 

Post edited at 09:10
OP Timmd 07 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

True on both counts, but it's interesting too. Not everybody who writes a book and is interviewed about it, turns out to have written a book for self promotion, when you hear him speak, it's clear (to me at least) that he's more interested in spreading information.

I don't really mind whether this thread continues along the lines of people pondering whether it was a sensible link to start a thread on, if a couple listen to it and post about it, and a few more put it on in the background and think 'Aha interesting', that's good enough. 

Post edited at 09:12
 MonkeyPuzzle 07 Jun 2018
In reply to J1234:

• I just watched it (working from home; shhhhhhhh!) and glad I did
  • It touches on the themes from his book likely but uses them as base points for wider discussion

Akala's a very compelling speaker and I always enjoy his output. Thanks.

pneame 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

10 minutes in - already learnt a lot. 

Thx

aln 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> Pardon me, that was 'Friend cheekiness', rather than how one should respond to somebody one doesn't know. 

That's how I took it. 

Ian65 07 Jun 2018
In reply to pneame:

I didn't have time to watch the interview beyond the introduction, but I have seen Akala interviewed before. I am about half way through the book which, in my view, is very well researched, interesting, informative and honest about race and class in the UK. I'd recommend it as a good read.

Postmanpat 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Excellent watch. Can't stand O'Brien but Akala more than makes up for that.

Ridge 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Ian65:

I first saw Akala on Question Time, and he seemed massively more clued up and articulate than the politicians.

pneame 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Ian65:

Thanks - it's on my list. Vey relevant to where I am (US) it seems to me and as was alluded to on occasion. 

Good grief, Akala thinks a lot and thinks fast! There's a lovely comment from O'Brien where he says "I'm having a bit of trouble keeping up". Excellent interview. Made me think about my upbringing in a very  different light. 

TobyA 07 Jun 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: 

He was excellent on Frankie Boyle's show last week, covered very similar ground to by the sounds of it this vid.

ThunderCat 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> This is quite interesting. Some takeaways for me are how class and race can be pitted against one another,

After too many hours without sleep I skim read this and all I took away was "Some takeaways can be pitta'd against one another".  

Which I thought was quite funny

marsbar 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

class and race can be pitted against one another

Yes.  Leads to Tommy Robinson and his types.  

how poor white boys from the east of Glasgow do the same (economically and socially/criminally) as poor black boys from London.

Poverty of aspiration  Almost impossible to fix.  Add in drug dealers targeting kids in certain areas it is a cluster!@#$.  

> The impacts of exclusions from school during the later school years 

In my opinion that is a very accurate measure of earlier problems and not a cause. 

Kids don't fail exams through exclusions.  They fail exams because the aren't learning while they are racking up enough behaviour to get excluded  (quite a lot for a permanent exclusion).  

I haven't read the book or watched the video but anyway...

OP Timmd 09 Jun 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Excellent watch. Can't stand O'Brien but Akala more than makes up for that.

I find it quite interesting that we're from different points of the spectrum politically and both found it to be an excellent watch, it's presumably a sign that he's objective and fact based in what he says. 

Post edited at 12:06
 Postmanpat 09 Jun 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> I find it quite interesting that we're from different points of the spectrum politically and both found it to be an excellent watch, it's presumably a sign that he's objective and fact based in what he says. 

He is actually "of the left" (Corbynite actually)but not in a stereotypical way. This is one reason I found O'Brien irritating. There was a touch of the Cathy Newmans in his "so this is what you are saying" when actually Akala was saying something much more nuanced. And Akala is not prone to the demonisation characteristic of so many  of the left.

Post edited at 12:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...