UKC

Recent wildlife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 10 Jul 2021

Some iffy weather mixed in with nice days. Loads of fledglings. Saw a flock of about 70 linnet the other day. Fields are teaming with whitethroat families. And watched a group of what must have been over 40 long tailed tits!  They just kept pouring out of one birch tree, across a path and into another (or it could have been a group of four si ey flying behind my back!). In no order, early morning buzzard from last week. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

A dragonfly (any ideas?) and hobby. Took a friend to watch them and saw three.  When we first got there, one came flying straight towards us and basically slammed the brakes on and stopped dead and angled away. Amazing. Possibly the best flying bird I’ve seen (excluding swift’s, which I’ve seen plenty of as well).  Saw one actually catch a meadow pipit but it was so quick. 

This mornings dead tree with wood pigeon, and this whitethroat. 

Post edited at 15:36

Female roe in wheat field, this morning.

Post edited at 15:51

There’s a grass verge that a children’s nursery and some residents have ‘improved’.  It really is stunning. Defo Wigan’s best verge. 

Resident blackbird last week. Currently moulting as I could see belly skin this morning (the bird, not me).  

Phone photos: small kipper and tortoiseshell  butterflies. Grasses and clouds. Spotted orchid. 

Rob 11 Jul 2021

First butterfly is a Large Skipper. 

In reply to Rob:

Thanks. Just been looking at the differences. I knew it was a skipper, and assumed that it’s small size = small skipper. 

squarepeg 13 Jul 2021

Saw a wildflower Sunday, took a pic. Pretty sure it's galeopsis segetum. Kirklees, West Yorkshire. 

BusyLizzie 14 Jul 2021

Well I don't often see spectacular wildlife but this morning running to work I saw a herd of elephants in Green Park. Beat that, ukc.

Post edited at 09:51

Robert Durran 14 Jul 2021

A visit to Shetland. Some of its iconic birds: Red Throated Diver, Great Skua, Arctic Tern, Gannet, Puffin.

Post edited at 10:04

Michael Hood 14 Jul 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Stunning shot of the Diver, was the bonxie after you?

stubbed 14 Jul 2021

Never before or since my trip to Shetland have I been so amazed at the local wildlife. So many puffins we got bored of them. And sea otters just hanging around in the rocks outside the car while we waited for a ferry. Seals, skuas, terns... it was amazing. Loved the prehistoric remains too. 

BusyLizzie 14 Jul 2021

I think I have to admit those birds are better than my elephants!

Great shots. 
Got a stunning view of a roe buck yesterday. It’s coat was chestnut red, early morning sun catching its head and antlers. It actually walked towards me and my dog. It was also the first time since I can remember that I didn’t have my camera!

Seems like a lot less wildlife around this year than last year when we had a full on lockdown.  I walk in Holyrood Park every day and last year I was seeing deer pretty much every day and otters fairly often.  This year its just birds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...