UKC

Recent wildlife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 18 Sep 2021

Chiffchaffs in full song. And big flocks of goldfinch. Good year for small raptors as well, plenty good views of kestrels  and sparrowhawks. Good view of a female blackcap the other day.  

And butterflies on good show in my garden. 

Trangia 18 Sep 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

During the last month, no particular order:-

Lots of Red Admirals

2 slow worms

A large black grass snake

Variety of frogs

Lots of hares, but very few rabbits

A tiny lizard

A seal

A number of field mice

A meadow vole

A very very large spider in the conservatory. Largest I've ever seen outside of Africa

Heard a barn owl in broad daylight a couple days ago, but couldn't spot it

A muntjac deer

In reply to Trangia:

Good stuff. I’ve just had this close encounter - decided to pop into the house and struggled to get out. Elderberries have stained my thumb. 

Michael Hood 18 Sep 2021

> Chiffchaffs in full song. And big flocks of goldfinch. Good year for small raptors as well, plenty good views of kestrels  and sparrowhawks. 

And despite two recent sightings of sparrowhawks, I still haven't had a decent (i.e. long enough) view to be able to surely identify a male ☹

[one sitting on post by minor road in Anglesey flew off as we drove past with me having just enough time to think "that was a bird of prey" but of course no sign of it by the time I'd stopped and jumped out of the car, the other was in my back garden, heard "different" noises so looked up and a sparrowhawk flew over harried by a crow - but I had just a fleeting glimpse before they were hidden by trees]

At least in Anglesey I got plenty of views of Chough, they are by far my favourite crow, so noisy and cheeky - was hoping to get a photo but was never in a suitable location. 

BusyLizzie 18 Sep 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

I am always so chuffed when a see a chough.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Think my little Robin was related to you? It flew off, to steal  from the rich to feed the poor

Quiz: “I don't mind stealin' bread from the mouths of decadents”  

Go one then...(playin it now, seems very apt!).   

Post edited at 23:03
 jonny taylor 19 Sep 2021

Well done. If you have the chance at the time, securing the neck between first and second finger, not thumb, gives a firm hold and gives the bird a chance to “perch” calmly on your thumb and other fingers…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...