UKC

Recommend a berry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nufkin 03 Sep 2013
A bit late now it's coming to the end of the season, but having paid attention to the variety for the first time when buying this year, I thought I'd see what people's experiences of supermarket berries are.

So far I've learned that Glen Ample raspberries are good, while Octavia are bland and tasteless.
Duke and Bluecrop blueberries both seem tasty, but Star is the winner for having a little extra tartness.

What else should I keep an eye out for?

Tom Valentine 03 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:

Doubt that you will find them in a supermarket but watch out for jostaberries.
it's a cross between gooseberry and blackcurrant and is as good as berries get.
woody0606 04 Sep 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine: +1 Very unlikely to see them in a shop, but they are the most delicious berry I've ever eaten. It's like eating Vimto...
 wobblydave 04 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin: My mate Simon Berry is a thoroughly nice chap
In reply to nufkin:

The blackberries in the hedgerows around here (south of Peak) this year have been the best I've ever seen. No need to go near a supermarket.
In reply to wobblydave:
> (In reply to nufkin) My mate Simon Berry is a thoroughly nice chap

Halle Berry is also nice although sadly i cant claim her as a friend.

wiwwim 04 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin: Japanese wineberries, tiny raspberrie-like berries with amazing flavour (again unlikely to find in shops)
mgco3 04 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:

I wouldn't mind squeezing the juice out of Halle Berry.

(Wrong on so many levels)

I'll get me coat
 Yanis Nayu 04 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin: Fruit in supermarkets is total wank. How they manage to remove all the flavour from them is really quite impressive. I'd love to know what they do with it.

The nicest berries I've ever had were in Russia - they were like rat shit sized/shaped blueberries - I'm drooling just thinking about them. Don't know what they were called though (((
 wiwwim 04 Sep 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity: honeyberry?
 Yanis Nayu 04 Sep 2013
In reply to wiwwim: Bingo!
 JCurrie 04 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:
The wild rapsberries in the woods behind our house have been amazing this year. Brambles just starting to ripen now. And chanterelles are showing too, but that is for a different thread, perhaps.
J
 Northern Man 04 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin: i have been wearing beret for years, I think it gives me a smart appearance and I stand out from the average mountain climber. When I am feeling really crazy I wear a blue and white hooped pullover and pack cheese sandwiches. Why not I say,live life on the edge.
OP nufkin 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

> Fruit in supermarkets is total wank.

Yeah, that's what I've been discovering. But apart from blackberries, there isn't much else going around here. I was just hoping there might be some varieties of the usual suspects - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc - that I ought to be seeking out.

Probably I should just get a selection of bushes for my garden.

I'm intrigued by the jostaberry - never heard of those

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...