UKC

Recommend a yoga DVD/ book for me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2013
Not a word to the wife, this is her Christmas present. She might well like yoga. And I thought I could give it a try too--I could certainly do with being more flexible.

Anyway, there are a lot of yoga DVDs out there. Which ones are actually useful, and not ridiculously cheesy/ full of pseudo-Hindu psychobabble?

Thank you in advance...
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

No one? I'm surprised. I'd have thought UKC would be full of yogis.
 tony 14 Dec 2013

We've been recommended Total Yoga Collection, featuring Tracey Rich and Ganga White, by our yoga teacher for stuff to do over the Christmas break when there are no classes. We haven't seen it, so I can't really make a recommendation, but I think our teacher knows what she's talking about.
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2013
In reply to tony:

Thank you!

Any more, peoples?
 RANGITOTO 14 Dec 2013

Penny Smith's Power Yoga comes highly recommended by my wife.

Good luck.
KevinD 14 Dec 2013

Have you thought about a trial class instead.
Learning yoga etc from a book/dvd can be trickier since it only requires small variations for something to change from being useful to either useless or actively damaging.
 Liz Lowe 14 Dec 2013

Ashtanga Yoga by David Swensen is good (though some of the positions that he gets into are somewhat alarming). He gives different ways of doing the postures according to how flexible you are, which is helpful. Wouldn't recommend doing yoga from a book (or DVD) without having gone to a few classes, though (which your wife may of course well have done), as alignment is all-important...
 Kimono 14 Dec 2013

As said above, yoga really is not the thing to learn from a dvd...i speak as a practising yoga teacher.
Buy her a beginners course at a local yoga centre if available.
Iyengar yoga if you have a choice, or maybe anusara. Both types of yoga very strong on alignment.
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2013
In reply to Kimono:

Thanks to all for the tips, especially about not just doing it off the screen.
 goosebump 16 Dec 2013

Classes are best by far, but be prepared to search a bit for a teacher or style you like - most good teachers will give the first class free or for a reduced fee, no obligations. That said, you'll need to give it a few goes before deciding if yoga is for you or not. Theres a knack to the mindset as much as (more than!) the postures. Dont write it off first go, easy done with a duff teacher or a style that doesnt suit.

Re: DVDs - A humungous number of teachers have a you tube channel or clips these days. Worth a look before committing to a DVD (if only to check their accent/style of teaching doesnt grate!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...