UKC

Recommend me a 5dr small/cheap-to-run 2nd-hand hatchback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockster 20 Dec 2012
Confession: I know zilch about cars and hate buying them.

Need a 5dr cheap to run/insure 5dr hatchback. Do not really know where to start. Have max of £2000 to spend.

Important: Reliability, reasonable running / insurance costs
Not important: Looks, fancy extras

Any suggestions as to what to get and/or avoid appreciated

Cheers, si
Steph-in-the-West 20 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster:

Japanese cars are VERY reliable. You could try the Micra 1.2. (There is also the Pixo which is a 3 cylinder 1 litre; Suzuki Alto is the same car different name. A variety of makes now make this type of car £20 year tax and around 64 mpg. Don't know about prices though.)
Have a look at this website www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews You could also try Autotrader online for browsing secondhand prices in your area.
Steph
Graeme G 20 Dec 2012
 sarahjk 20 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster: Love my Skoda Fabia. Cheap to run, tax, insure etc. Not sure if you can get the newer model for your budget, def worth a look.
 red.stiletto 20 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster:
Ok its not glamorous but I got a suzuki wagon on exactly the criteria you state and it been brilliant. Never costs anything to run insure never needs repair and nothing at service. Had two now, six years, would never drive anything else and the bonus is they are cheap because ugly (unlike volkswagon) and you can fit unlimited gear in the back! We have had four in our family now and all equally reliable. Get a low mileage (ex granny) one and you'll get plenty of years motoring for your £2k.
Good luck
 Denni 20 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster:

We used to have a Peugeot 107 5 door Urban, 20 quid a year tax and about 500 ish miles to a tank. Basic but good to drive even long distances and really an excellent wee car all round.
 wheelo 20 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster: Clio 1.5 diesel .... £30 tax. 60-65 mpg mine has done 125000 miles with just wear n tear expenditure
 teflonpete 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster:

2002 - 2003 Citroen C3 1.4 HDi diesel might be worth a look. Nippy, 60 mpg, £30 a year road tax and the insurance isn't bad. I sold one a few months ago for £1500, good nick, still going strong with 145000 miles on it. There were others for sale between £1500 and £2k at the time.
 billb 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster: I am selling my VW Golf as I live abroad now. I have owned it for the last 6 years and it is incredibly reliable. I am hoping to get an add in autotrader on saturday:
VW Gold MK3
125000 miles
900 pounds

It is based in Surrey though..

-
 FrankBooth 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jockster:
I've got a 2003 Diesel Honda Civic . Pretty boring, but... reliable, very economical, 5 doors and fits a bike in the back with the seats down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...